if jack lynch had invaded? (1 Viewer)

i didnt see the tv show but am wondering about the whole backdrop to this.

history heads here; jack lynch used the arms crisis to mute charley haughey for a few years, so i think to polarise himself from haugheys plan (which is way more practiacal) of running guns to the provo's he had to have a contingency plan to pull out of the bag to prove he was just as republican as the next man. so i think this os more a political amunition then a real plan. was there anything like this alluded to in the documentary??

I haven't seen the documentary yet but at the time it seemed to many that the Troubles would turn into a civil war, wherein nationalists by and large would have been slaughtered.

I haven't seen the documentary yet but at the time it seemed to many that the Troubles would turn into a civil war, wherein nationalists by and large would have been slaughtered.

Not to be a spa, but Catholics would be right term in this case. Don't think the lads invading from the Shankill were too concerned with the politics of the people they were burning out.

Not to be a spa, but Catholics would be right term in this case. Don't think the lads invading from the Shankill were too concerned with the politics of the people they were burning out.

It irked me the way they kept saying Nationalists, when they meant Catholics. I don't know why really, but they're not interchangeable terms.
Also, while we saw plenty of fine young FCA boys getting hypotethically shot, we didn't see one single British soldier or B Special take an imaginary bullet.
And all the shakey cameras, jesus.

Still though, there's great potential for documentaries like this. Clearly loads of the experts and politicians of the day are eager to talk about all that stuff.
They just completely misfired with this one. Obviously he never would have invaded, it's a silly premise.

Protestant Nationalists and Catholic Unionists are not unheard of but the terms are actually pretty much interchangeable when talking about the north.
But if it please the court I'll refer to the Taig Fenian bastards as Catholics from now on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back