I saw a thing in the garden (3 Viewers)

The (or hopefully A) kingfisher appeared outside my gaff. Obviously I didn't get photos.

Maybe it's the same one from up the way, but hopefully it's another one. Man, they're stunning.

yeah, I have seen that a few times. That normally looks like trails, where you'd be swimming. Although I never saw that blue before, it was always more green.
But the thing from last night where more single points.

Although, another possibility just occurred to me, if something had eaten a rake of the glowy dinoflagelate boys, they might appear like a point of light rather than a diffuse glow.

Piebald blackbirds?... really strange looking guys.
They have the look and dropped wing thing that blackbirds do, but they are mainly white, patchy with black.

Never seen that before, I think there's a nest of them that's recently fledged because there's two hopping about who I'd guess are coming from the same parent?

Piebald blackbirds?... really strange looking guys.
They have the look and dropped wing thing that blackbirds do, but they are mainly white, patchy with black.

Never seen that before, I think there's a nest of them that's recently fledged because there's two hopping about who I'd guess are coming from the same parent?
‘leucism’

‘leucism’
OK. Makes sense. White blood cells are leucocytes, so, yeah, I'll possibly remember this one!

I think it's this though, wild looking birds.

The (or hopefully A) kingfisher appeared outside my gaff. Obviously I didn't get photos.

Maybe it's the same one from up the way, but hopefully it's another one. Man, they're stunning.

I’ve only ever seen kingfishers twice in the wild: once near the Royal Canal viaduct over the M50, and more recently where the Aughrim River passes under the main street in Kilkeel. Beautiful birds altogether.

One of the swallows fell out of their nest there, I found him on the ground underneath peeping away like an eejit when the parents were ferrying food into the rest of the lads.

I decided to scoop him up and stick him back in with the rest of the crew, I don't believe any of this parents won't touch babies that smell like human bollix.

One of the swallows fell out of their nest there, I found him on the ground underneath peeping away like an eejit when the parents were ferrying food into the rest of the lads.

I decided to scoop him up and stick him back in with the rest of the crew, I don't believe any of this parents won't touch babies that smell like human bollix.

Don’t be rubbing your bollix on them

Don’t be rubbing your bollix on them
it's fine, I gave him a quick rinse and put some underarm deoderant under his little wings there.

I set the timer on my phone for 5 minutes, and during that period the parents fed the chicks seven times. No wonder there's a pile of shite under the nest.

I saw peregrines in the wild for the first time yesterday. Assumed they were sparrowhawks first time we saw them.
Oh, interesting, I assumed they were fairly common, just because I saw them almost every day last summer. Strange how your perspective gets skewed. I haven't seen them at all this year admittedly.

The sparrowhawks come here too, seems to be later in the summer, and tear along doing low down the cliff path. Kestrels would be common then too, I've only seen them a handful of times so far this summer.

I'm pretty certain I've never seen a peregrine in the wild. I'm surprised/skeptical that so many of you have.

I have however seen a few kestrels and what I assume to be sparrowhawk's.

In other news, Mother Coot has finally hatched three little fluff balls. At low tide there's a puddle of water where they hang out, it's not even two meters from the kitchen window. I shouldn't feed them bread, should I?

I'm pretty certain I've never seen a peregrine in the wild. I'm surprised/skeptical that so many of you have.

I have however seen a few kestrels and what I assume to be sparrowhawk's.

In other news, Mother Coot has finally hatched three little fluff balls. At low tide there's a puddle of water where they hang out, it's not even two meters from the kitchen window. I shouldn't feed them bread, should I?

A peregrine landed in the back garden of my family home one day in the mid ’90s. Might have been some Clontarf weirdo’s pet and not a ‘wild’ one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back