I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

ann post

Supporter
Solutions
A thread for seeing cool animals about the place. Kinda like cute lifestyles inspired by @pavlos post except in actual reality. Photos if you are lucky...

So far I've been watching one pretty cheeky little robin who's prone to the occasional top gun style fly by when you are outside, and a more reclusive yellow one that might be a yellowtit.

As much as I wanted to resurrect the fat balls for me bird thread, Its not wide ranging enough.

A wood pigeon sits in our garden every day waiting for some popcorn kernels. He isn't arsed with wheat at all.

No foxes in the garden, but I have seen/heard quite a few out on the green. Some aul fella feeds two of them. Which is nice.

There's a hedgehog around our place lately, snacking on leftover hen food. Wish he'd make a dent in our enormous population of slugs
Amazing. I have never seen a hedgehog. I am dying for one to appear, but I'm worried that there is too much light bleeding into the garden.

It actually kinda boggles my mind that there is such a thing as wild animals. Like humans have kinda taken over the world, but here's these lads just ignoring all that shit and living out in the open eating and sleeping and riding and having babies, just eating what they can find and living one day at a time

Not just little things like hedgehogs either, me and Mrs. egg_ were in a little woodland at night during the summer (she's a bat-ologist, and we were doing a bat population survey thing) and there was a stag bellowing about 20 yards from us. Scared the shit out of me

We do live out in the sticks obvs, but still it's kind of amazing. I wonder what the animals think of us, or if they're too focused on their everyday lives to be bothered noticing our bullshit

Had a squirrel run past me as I was coming in last night, I'd say they've been disturbed by all the windy weather.

I saw a hare on the grounds of DKIT a few months ago from my bus window. Wasn't even running, just hanging about. I'd only previously seen them out of the corner of my eye on Bull Island, that flash as they zoom past in the dunes.

Lots of farms in the outskirts up here so the usual cows and sheep, except that one time on the bus to Newry when I saw a pen full of sheep and a fawn clearly pretending to be a lamb to get some grub.

i saw a magpie swoop an ould lad earlier

Is this the season for all the mad magpie attacks? They seem a bit aggressive over there alright - check out the protective headgear here:

1920px-Hedgehog_hat.JPG

Swooping.jpg

A wood pigeon sits in our garden every day waiting for some popcorn kernels. He isn't arsed with wheat at all.

No foxes in the garden, but I have seen/heard quite a few out on the green. Some aul fella feeds two of them. Which is nice.

Yeah, we had a wood pigeon come into the garden a lot. Docile enough fella. Then one night there was an almighty racket in the garden and we came down in the morning to some suspiciously wood-pigeon-y looking feathers all over the place... I suspect Sir Reynard Vulpes Vulpes was the culprit.

I have seen badgers a few times it is maybe a bit tricky since they are nocturnal but they definitely do come out in the daylight and around dusk. It's fairly easy to spot a set because the entrance will have big holes into it.

I have a dream of seeing a badger one day.
Me too. I've only ever seen them as roadkill.

We've been getting some pretty cool garden spiders lately, not just the 8-legged horses you get in the house at this time of year. The markings on the abdomen are really intricate and they have a bit of sass about them as they wiggle about their business.

We also periodically see a family of deer (well a doe and the fawns, don't know if the stags ever stick around after they mate). My friend's dad lives up the road from us and he has a massive garden, they're usually milling about up there where they can roam unmolested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back