I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

ann post

Threads
A thread for seeing cool animals about the place. Kinda like cute lifestyles inspired by @pavlos post except in actual reality. Photos if you are lucky...

So far I've been watching one pretty cheeky little robin who's prone to the occasional top gun style fly by when you are outside, and a more reclusive yellow one that might be a yellowtit.

As much as I wanted to resurrect the fat balls for me bird thread, Its not wide ranging enough.

chris d

Supporter
Threads
A wood pigeon sits in our garden every day waiting for some popcorn kernels. He isn't arsed with wheat at all.

No foxes in the garden, but I have seen/heard quite a few out on the green. Some aul fella feeds two of them. Which is nice.

chris d

Supporter
Threads
There's a hedgehog around our place lately, snacking on leftover hen food. Wish he'd make a dent in our enormous population of slugs
Amazing. I have never seen a hedgehog. I am dying for one to appear, but I'm worried that there is too much light bleeding into the garden.

egg_

Staff member
Supporter
Since 1999
Threads
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
It actually kinda boggles my mind that there is such a thing as wild animals. Like humans have kinda taken over the world, but here's these lads just ignoring all that shit and living out in the open eating and sleeping and riding and having babies, just eating what they can find and living one day at a time

Not just little things like hedgehogs either, me and Mrs. egg_ were in a little woodland at night during the summer (she's a bat-ologist, and we were doing a bat population survey thing) and there was a stag bellowing about 20 yards from us. Scared the shit out of me

We do live out in the sticks obvs, but still it's kind of amazing. I wonder what the animals think of us, or if they're too focused on their everyday lives to be bothered noticing our bullshit

jonah

Supporter
Threads
I have a dream of seeing a badger one day.

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
Had a squirrel run past me as I was coming in last night, I'd say they've been disturbed by all the windy weather.

MacDara

Contributor
Threads
Website
macdaraconroy.com
I saw a hare on the grounds of DKIT a few months ago from my bus window. Wasn't even running, just hanging about. I'd only previously seen them out of the corner of my eye on Bull Island, that flash as they zoom past in the dunes.

Lots of farms in the outskirts up here so the usual cows and sheep, except that one time on the bus to Newry when I saw a pen full of sheep and a fawn clearly pretending to be a lamb to get some grub.

MacDara

Contributor
Threads
Website
macdaraconroy.com
Oh yeah, and I saw a red squirrel up on Annaloughan Mountain over the summer. First one since they all but disappeared from St Anne's in the '90s.

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
i saw a magpie swoop an ould lad earlier
Is this the season for all the mad magpie attacks? They seem a bit aggressive over there alright - check out the protective headgear here:

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
A wood pigeon sits in our garden every day waiting for some popcorn kernels. He isn't arsed with wheat at all.

No foxes in the garden, but I have seen/heard quite a few out on the green. Some aul fella feeds two of them. Which is nice.
Yeah, we had a wood pigeon come into the garden a lot. Docile enough fella. Then one night there was an almighty racket in the garden and we came down in the morning to some suspiciously wood-pigeon-y looking feathers all over the place... I suspect Sir Reynard Vulpes Vulpes was the culprit.

hydromancer

Supporter
Threads
I have seen badgers a few times it is maybe a bit tricky since they are nocturnal but they definitely do come out in the daylight and around dusk. It's fairly easy to spot a set because the entrance will have big holes into it.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
I have a dream of seeing a badger one day.
Me too. I've only ever seen them as roadkill.

We've been getting some pretty cool garden spiders lately, not just the 8-legged horses you get in the house at this time of year. The markings on the abdomen are really intricate and they have a bit of sass about them as they wiggle about their business.

We also periodically see a family of deer (well a doe and the fawns, don't know if the stags ever stick around after they mate). My friend's dad lives up the road from us and he has a massive garden, they're usually milling about up there where they can roam unmolested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Previous thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

We're listening to...

• Lavender EP
    Ginseng Strip 2002 (Prod. Yung Gud)
    Yung Lean
    Lavender EP

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads