I saw a thing in the garden (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
ah-ha. So the character 'Tui' from NZ based TV show "Top of the lake" was probably named after this bird

hydromancer

Supporter
Threads
20180226_194352.jpg
A pet snail that I have. Or I found a shell which I presumed was empty and took it home but later another little shell apeared from out of nowhere which must have come from the big one ?

chris d

Supporter
Threads
Grasshopper. Hopped into the dining room. Didn't take a picture :(

thairock

Threads
Website
www.shootingandcutting.co.nz
In the past week I’ve had piwakaka come into the house for a visit (no fear of humans) also a pair of Kereru who pop by every year. A bellbird that has a bath in our gutter. We have a possum who makes a fierce racket. A resident hedgehog and a pesky mouse.
These are the Kereru. 12775 BAC0F47A-72FE-40A3-BC53-8D00DAF0B275.jpeg

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
Three little birds came by my window

There are three fledgling tits in the back yard that are in danger of getting eaten by my cats or dogs. For now I've closed the windows so the cats can't get out , and will hold off letting the dogs out for a while.

So, do they need rescuing? The parent is busy coming and going feeding them, even when I'm standing a foot away, so I don't know if this means this is expected behaviour.

tits1.jpg

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
Three little birds came by my window

There are three fledgling tits in the back yard that are in danger of getting eaten by my cats or dogs. For now I've closed the windows so the cats can't get out , and will hold off letting the dogs out for a while.

So, do they need rescuing? The parent is busy coming and going feeding them, even when I'm standing a foot away, so I don't know if this means this is expected behaviour.

View attachment 12825
Tits in general seem a lot tamer these last few years. I’ve noticed a few great tits in town (GROW UP!) and they are filling a role that I would have said was more that of pigeons and gulls - scavenging from footpaths and hanging around cafes.

ann post

Threads
Tits in general seem a lot tamer these last few years. I’ve noticed a few great tits in town (GROW UP!) and they are filling a role that I would have said was more that of pigeons and gulls - scavenging from footpaths and hanging around cafes.
Like foxes, don't mistake 'tamer' with having their habitat removed overnight and completely changing thier lifestyle to survive.

pavlos

Supporter
Threads
We've had loads of tits in the garden, got a bird feeder thing in a few months ago. A scatter of robins as well. Great to see.

Unfortunately we had a pigeon crash into one of our windows and break his neck recently, and before I could get out to deal with the remains, something had torn it apart, head gone, claret all over the gaff, complete gorefest. Either a fox or a cat, but I'm not discounting the possibility of a psychopathic squirrel.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads