I saw a thing in the garden (3 Viewers)

What triggers them starting the process? If it’s based on something seasonal, the variation in time could be based on something like latitude (like flowers blooming during spring).
it also might be some colony size thing, similar to bees swarming. Like once there's enough of them, once their nest / hive is getting to ~capacity, it's go time.

I guess it depends on what the driver is. Are they looking to breed or find new territory?

If it's breed they'd want to sync up within species (then they'd use something like you're saying, day length or something that they can all agree on). If it's territory they'd want a critical mass to just go off in all directions with some probability of happening upon a tasty bit of real estate.

Hmm. So seemingly the answer is "yes".

Why do ants fly?

An ant colony can only expand so much. At some point a new queen will need to strike out on her own to begin a new colony. She needs to meet and mate with a male from a different colony and find a new area in which to start building her nest. Growing wings and flying enables her to do this.

So each year, alates emerge from nests and take flight. They aren't interested in people or picnics - they are just looking for a mate.

The large winged females and the smaller winged males are often seen flying joined together. This is known as the nuptial flight.

They seem to be saying that there's size constraints on the colony, but somehow in addition to this reaching a critical colony size they ALSO all pick a day they agree upon to go off having sex with each other. But it's not some hard and fast rule like day length, it's more "it seems nice and warm and not too windy".

Seems haphazard. Although it might explain why they were flying early here, it was lovely here at the start of the summer.

here, pop fact. The reason that cicadas and all those things that bury themselves for years and all hatch out at the same time to have sex pick prime numbers to stagger their emergence is that is makes is very difficult for predators to align their breeding cycles to that emergence. Since it's prime, there is no factors of the number, so the only way that they can consistently line up the breeding is to both use that prime (or a multiple of it), and synchronize.

Last edited:
that was what google lens suggested based on your photo.
might be worth reporting it to the national biodiversity data centre - unless i'm using the site wrong, they've no records listed for it in ireland.

Insects are deadly.

Also, here’s a moth sitting on my garden gate.View attachment 17374
I'm into moths, especially the ones with the feathery antenae.

There was some class of moth that came to the honeysuckle in the courtyard during August at night. I'd never seen them in Ireland before, I only noticed them because they were buzzing away like little hummingbirds. I couldn't get a photo of them because they'd be tearing about all the time.

Oh. OK. I just typed "hawk moth Ireland" it it pulled it up instantly. Humming bird hawk moth. https://biodiversityireland.ie/app/uploads/2023/06/Species-13-Humming-bird-Hawk-moth-final.pdf

Really common apparently? Shows how observant I was I guess.

Happily the leaf cutter bees are back this year. I was worried they'd buggered off, but they've just moved their attentions to a different area. It's cool watching them snip sections of leaf out and fly away with it.

i have a couple of videos of one in the front garden from a few years back. this one was done in slo-mo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that was what google lens suggested based on your photo.
might be worth reporting it to the national biodiversity data centre - unless i'm using the site wrong, they've no records listed for it in ireland.
I just submitted it there, good thinking. It’s listed as box moth and there seems to be a cluster in south Dublin but I’m only the 15th record for it on the site.

Just saw a goldcrest there in the overgrown garden.
They are tiny. The site lists them as being comparable in size to a wren, ~9cm, but they seem a good bit smaller.
The sweetest little things, they fly like tiny drones too, buzzing straight from here to there.
1690810744945.png

white-spotted-pinion

"The rarest of the four British Cosmia species, the White-spotted Pinion underwent a rapid decline as a result of Dutch elm disease during the 1970"

Seems they are rare so I naturally uploaded my sighting to the National Biodiversity Data Centre

#youknowyouregettingold moth2.jpg moth1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back