i know fight like apes and they are sound (1 Viewer)

After 10 amazing years we've decided to call it a day. We're all ready for something new and want to leave Fight Like Apes behind while we're still all pals and are proud of what we've done. Come dance and screamand sweat with us one more time, where it all began 10 years ago, in Whelans on December 9th

STATEMENT POSTED ON FACEBOOK:

Stick a fork in us, we’re done.

We’ve been quiet for a while now. We’ve had a lot of thinking and talking to do.

We’d be here all year if we started listing the people we wanted to thank, so we’ll just do that in our own time.

You’ll see us all again under different musical guises but, these 3 shows will be Fight Like Apes’ last. We want to call it a day while we’re all still pals and are proud of what we’ve done.

And we are very, very proud.

It’s a deadly time in so many ways to be in a band; you can have so much control over your work if you’re clever; you can release it how and when you like and in our opinion, right now, Ireland is the healthiest it’s ever been in terms of talent and diversity.
But, there are massive challenges for a lot of bands, mostly financial, that make this a tough job and sadly, those obstacles have become too big for us.

I think we all know that we're going to hear announcements like this more often. A lot of people don’t seem to understand that we can’t keep producing records if you keep not paying for them. Bands are having to sell beautiful albums for €2.99, labels can’t give you as much support since they’re losing income too and our alternative radio stations* are practically non existent now, meaning so many wonderful bands will not get a chance to get played on radio as they’ll be competing with huge pop acts.

Please buy your music in independent record stores or directly from the band.

Don’t fool yourself in to thinking that your £10 subscription to Deezer and Spotify helps us at all. It does not. Look how many bands are on there and do the maths.

Please go to gigs. Please buy merch.

Thanks to all you entirely crazy, wonderful people who have supported us and danced and screamed with us over the past 10 years. We could never thank you enough.

I still can’t believe some of the amazing things we’ve done together and how far we came.

FLA out.

-MK, Jamie, Conor, Pete-

http://www.fightlikeapesmusic.com

-- -- -- -- --

If you want to come see us here’s how:

Nov 24th - The Roisin Dubh, Galway (Free show!)
Nov 25th - Connollys of Leap, Cork (Tickets)
Dec 9th - back to where we had a our very first gig 10 years ago - Whelan's, Dublin. (Tickets)

-- -- -- -- --

*RIP TXFM. We absolutely adore you and everything you’ve done for music in Ireland.

TICKETS
€17.50 available online from WAV Tickets or Lo-Call 1890 200 078 (1-8pm M-F, 4-8pm Sat)

Sure even when they started nobody bought music, I don't know how any Irish band that doesn't have a substantial international following makes a living off music.

These guys made the same album three times. Started out with potential but failed to change it up.

These guys made the same album three times. Started out with potential but failed to change it up.
this is it. They were bland and non-descript. Unoffensive, but not enough going on with them for anyone, but the casual TXFM (RIP) listener to take much notice of.

I saw them at electric picnic last year. Soooo boring.

But I wouldn't hold that against them. Some people like them, so good for them.

I heard May K on the radio last night talking about the band splitting up. In fairness she didn't come across as bitter as that statement sounded. But these lads were full-time musicians. I'm sure there are plenty of people making music in their spare time who'd love the chance to pack in their jobs and put all their energy into their art. So are Fight Like Apes not priveleged to have had that chance?

Anyway, blaming people for not buying their albums, on their breakup is fucking lame. Loads of bands stay going and I can't imagine its any better for them. Loads of other bands split up for the same reason and don't piss and moan about it .

Best of luck to them but I still think their statement was shitty so fuck them also.

Didn't Delorentos pull off a trick like this a few years ago? you say you're splitting, you do a few gigs, you get some publicity and then you turn around and claim the will of the people has caused you to reconsider.

I really hope they don't reconsider.

Just like Johnny Logan before them, Delorentos seem to be quite popular on the continent.

Ireland's a tinpot place to try and make it in music. So they have a point. B
Just like Johnny Logan before them, Delorentos seem to be quite popular on the continent.
Massive in Spain. Huge crowds.
The problem with Ape Sandwich is that it's nostalgia music the moment its invented. Their crowd are too busy climbing up the career ladder, banging out sprogs and paying mortgages to be reliving Freshers' Week. I'd say they'll clean up in abut 20 years, Aslan style, when the kids can look after themselves and you don't need to drop a ton on a babysitter.

I read this this way:
"we're splitting up, we're doing other stuff, by the way it's really hard to do this with no money, bands will give up, support them while you can"
Which I think is fair.
The Middle Ages' next single will include a song I wrote a while back about artists being outsiders who can made art in their own world while they can survive. Take that ability (money) away and they can't cope with real life and taken to its extreme we're left in a world with no art or culture. I'm not explaining it very well. Anyway it's called Thus Follows.

I don't think the statement was that bad. Maybe the fact that they are talking about themselves rather than a third party makes it a bit off-putting. But if the same point about buying music was made by a blogger or someone, the reaction probably wouldn't be as negative.

I really liked the early EPs

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its so long since I've been in a position to ignore someone.

Ill say hello to fucking anyone

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back