i know fight like apes and they are sound (3 Viewers)

The more I think about it...Ultimately this is bollocks. You split up, and blame the world? Cry. It's publicity hungry nonsense.

There's nothing on earth stopping them making music and playing gigs and having ordinary everyday jobs like the absolute majority of bands in this country. Ireland's too small and too stupid to maintain an actual music scene of any note. And frankly Ape Sanglidge's music isn't good enough to work in an international context. Every country in the world is trying to maintain it's own shitty fluff-rock bands. They don't need interlopers.

I mean, if you really think that the system is fucked, initiate change. DOn't just down tools and say it's the fault of teh consumer in this post-bubble-bursting world. Offer them "content" and "product" they might actually want. Or do it for the sheer love of it, cos you can't give it up. ANd you'll work in a crummy office taking shit because those night son stage and those nights in the studio are what it's all about.

There's something quite entitled about this. People, you didn't love us enough, so now try living in a world without us. That world, for me, seems fine.

But I'd bet money, if I had any, that this will not be the end.

There's nothing on earth stopping them making music and playing gigs and having ordinary everyday jobs like the absolute majority of bands in this country.

This is perfectly legit if you are willing to drop everything and move to Dublin. I folded earlier this year myself, and honestly i've had no problem working to support my music habit for long time but it got to the point where if i was to have any respect for the people i was playing with i wouldn't put them on stage for the pittance that is floating around for bands these days. this model of working to survive as musician suits a certain type of musician, but if you are actually a working musician and you are giving up paid shows to play originals (to decent sized audiences) for nothing then there's a fair argument to actually spell out that its bullshit instead of playing out a farce because that's what's perceived. Some bands are amazing even as part time, some bands need to be full time.

This is perfectly legit if you are willing to drop everything and move to Dublin. I folded earlier this year myself, and honestly i've had no problem working to support my music habit for long time but it got to the point where if i was to have any respect for the people i was playing with i wouldn't put them on stage for the pittance that is floating around for bands these days. this model of working to survive as musician suits a certain type of musician, but if you are actually a working musician and you are giving up paid shows to play originals (to decent sized audiences) for nothing then there's a fair argument to actually spell out that its bullshit instead of playing out a farce because that's what's perceived. Some bands are amazing even as part time, some bands need to be full time.

Back in the day professional musician meant signing on. And before that bands knew that to make it, whatever it may be, you moved to London. Of course, that's out of the question now. No can afford to live in London., Unless they're already rich. Which is why we have to listen to fucking Mumford and Sons nowadays.

Part of the problem is the ineffable, ingredient x. Why do people like this song over that song? If you've decided that mass appeal isn't your game, then you're going to set out from the get go to do it cos you have to, but if you're aiming for the stars and LA and having coke blown up your hole and you don't make it. Well, there's a million reasons. But maybe it's the music?

I wrote a book no one wants to publish, so obviously that's the industry's fault, right?

but if you're aiming for the stars and LA and having coke blown up your hole...
The-Script-Hall-of-Fame.jpg

the part of the statement where they say 'people are having to sell albums for 4 quid'! - i would have thought that's the way forward, personally, i don't we're going to go back to the days of spending 20 quid on an album that got 10/12 dice in hot press.

what seems a bit undignified about it is the way it's addressed to their own fans, i know it's kind of couched in a wider context but the tone of it does seem off.

a) in terms of the casual music fan, the kind who goes to a few gigs a year, listens to spotify playlists when drinking, saves up for EP, but generally their lives don't revolve around music
- i see friends liking or posting tear emojis on that statement on facebook, and these are people who just don't spend money on music, the idea of doing that or 'buying merch' doesn't compute. it's alien to them.
i don't judge, nobody really should. most people i know are scraping together money by the end of the week/month. why should they feel obliged to support a band financially because they enjoy a few of their songs.

b) in terms of the more 'dedicated' music fan/nerd/enthusiast, i honestly think there's something a bit entitled about feeling aggrieved that people aren't buying your album. by all means put it out there, get some nice artwork, take it off spotify if you think streaming is hurting you more than helping - but people make their own minds up about what they want to spend their money on. say you set aside 20 quid a week to spend on music, which gets you 2 or 3 albums (not taking into account gigs or whatever) - there's so much great music out there that you'd really have to believe what you're doing is the dog's bollocks to feel affronted.
back in the day there was much less music out there, and like i said earlier, it was more likely that you'd run down to tower and spend your hard-earned on a middling indie band.

another thing, i suspect there's a fair bit of hypocrisy. you see other bands weighing in on twtter and saying 'look what you've done, all these bands are splitting up!' but do these musicians pay in to other bands gigs? or do they take advantage of guestlist/cheaplist/ a nod at the door? do the journalists who write about these problems make sure that they're buying music and not just settling for the free promos they no doubt get sent by the bucketload? maybe they all do but i'm consistently surprised at how commonplace the whole 'can i get in for free/cheap' culture is among people involved in music, if people whose lives revolve around music (more or less) are reluctant to pay full shilling for it then how can you get aggrieved with people who don't prioritise it so much.

I wrote a book no one wants to publish, so obviously that's the industry's fault, right?

If you are booked to travel somewhere and read the book to a bunch of people who are paying the venue directly or indirectly though, and you still are getting expenses at best, then its a joke. I agree with you at large, but I'm also agreeing with FLApes in the sense that the accepted culture around music is not one i'm willing to play with at the minute. Back in the day is grand but factually my band was made of working session musicians who are taking nights off paid shows to play with me because they dig it and I couldn't abide by that any longer. I'll never waver from the concept that the band are part of the venue staff and should be treated exactly as that, whether they are shite or appealing or whatever, time is time.

take it off spotify if you think streaming is hurting you more than helping

I'd love to hear the argument for this. For someone who says streaming hurts more than helps. Yes, artists get sweet fucking nothing from streaming, but is it not as much an advertising platform (in the 'try and buy' sense) as it is a primary means of music listening?

I listen to spotify a lot. I get music mailouts, I scan them, I listen on spotify. I generally buy everything I decide I like.

Maybe its different for the kids. Maybe streaming is the only way kids consume music these days. If thats the case, then ignore the kids. Let them listen and bedamned, but pay a bit more lip service to those who will pony up when you've a new album out.

I just saw a tweet from someone I know who makes music. He had a new release out recently enough and hes tweeting to get people to buy it on iTunes. Fair enough. But, hes threatening to take his stuff off spotify. Grand. Next. (I bought his previous album - can't be arsed with this one cos of his stinking fucking attitude).

Not saying I don't have sympathy. One of the things that gets my goat nowaways is how 'throwaway' music has become, and thats so unfair to the people who've poured their heart and soul into making it. But I'd rather that be seen as a challenge than a fucking excuse.

If you are booked to travel somewhere and read the book to a bunch of people who are paying the venue directly or indirectly though, and you still are getting expenses at best, then its a joke. I agree with you at large, but I'm also agreeing with FLApes in the sense that the accepted culture around music is not one i'm willing to play with at the minute. Back in the day is grand but factually my band was made of working session musicians who are taking nights off paid shows to play with me because they dig it and I couldn't abide by that any longer. I'll never waver from the concept that the band are part of the venue staff and should be treated exactly as that, whether they are shite or appealing or whatever, time is time.
The way musicians are treated is a fucking sham. Play Electric Picnic for "exposure"? Fuck that. Flapes make some valid points, but I think ultimately the problem wasn't Joe Public, unless the problem was Joe Public not loving them as much as Joe loves Coldplay. And there's the conundrum. Would you trade your vision for Coldplay's riches, but you'd have to be fucking Coldplay?

Well, of course we would. Let's not kid ourselves we chose to suffer. We wanted to make it. It's the pictures that got small.

HELLO THERE HOW THE FUCK ARE YA DOING?!

SOME DAY THAT!

PISSING DOWN,MUSTNT GRUMBLE THOUGH

COS CUNTS ON THUMPED WILL SAY IM ONLY A BOLLIX

ANYWAY GREAT TO TALK TO YA BUDDY..

Squeezes hand
Whirlwind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back