i know fight like apes and they are sound (2 Viewers)

Why Spotify couldn’t save Fight Like Apes or other indie bands

the man has spoken.

image.jpg

eating their ham sandwiches

Jimmy Carroll said:
We’ll always have acts and bands who want to make music together and have fun. The problems begin when they decide to take the next step and try to make a living from their music.

Word of warning thumped bands, don't give up yizzer day jobs.

Or, you know...make better music?
While I recognise that FLAM Sandwich are not to my taste, there is a distinct whiff of throwaway ordinariness about most of these Irish indie bands that makes me surprised that they even could dream of being big. I don't like Snow Patrol but they got big because they combined a fairly popular style with some decent songwriting that at least hit some real buttons for people. Hard to imagine anyone really emoting in any form to most of these bands.

While I recognise that FLAM Sandwich are not to my taste, there is a distinct whiff of throwaway ordinariness about most of these Irish indie bands that makes me surprised that they even could dream of being big. I don't like Snow Patrol but they got big because they combined a fairly popular style with some decent songwriting that at least hit some real buttons for people. Hard to imagine anyone really emoting in any form to most of these bands.
I agree, and there's an added problem, which is in a small pond, you can get relatively famous relatively quickly. You fill Whelan's a couple of times and get a decent slot at The Picnic and you think you're the big cheese. It's stagnating.

But then there's the opposite of that which is you don't want to aim too high, cos you'll get riped to shreds for having notions. FLAPS were all about keeping it real. No notions there. Solid, down to earth drudgery.

And let's face it, who wants to sound like Snow Patrol. Polished, gleaming, non threatening mediocrity. That's the mainstream you're aiming for. It takes a special set of skill to market and write for the masses. On the one hand FLAPS can take heart from the fact that they were denied access to a club they wouldn't want to be in in the first place. But then, if you make Flappy music like they did, you can't be remotely surprised the entire planet didn't take to it, can you?

But then there's the opposite of that which is you don't want to aim too high, cos you'll get ripped to shreds for having notions.

And let's face it, who wants to sound like Snow Patrol. Polished, gleaming, non threatening mediocrity. That's the mainstream you're aiming for. It takes a special set of skill to market and write for the masses.
The-Script-Hall-of-Fame.jpg

Why does anyone care about The Script? They make music I can't imagine anyone here likes. It's grand. It's plastic and successful, geared specifically for commerciality. Buttttttt.....because they're Irish, we get to be snide?

Do we? Do we need to look deep into ourselves?

Why does anyone care about The Script? They make music I can't imagine anyone here likes. It's grand. It's plastic and successful, geared specifically for commerciality. Buttttttt.....because they're Irish, we get to be snide?

Do we? Do we need to look deep into ourselves?

They tick pretty much every box mentioned previously in this thread; Get out of Ireland, play what the people want to buy, become overnight millionaires by hitting number 1 in the U.S.A, feel the might of Ireland's collective begrudgery but ignore it, become a judge on X Factor...Oust God from heaven.

They tick pretty much every box mentioned previously in this thread; Get out of Ireland, play what the people want to buy, become overnight millionaires by hitting number 1 in the U.S.A, feel the might of Ireland's collective begrudgery but ignore it, become a judge on X Factor...Oust God from heaven.
This was always their plan tho. They never had any faux-earthiness, they've never pretended they weren't in it to make the big leagues. They're a perfect example of what you need to do to make it. I mean, if you want to make it big and have a special sterling silver coke spoon to do your morning bumps and get invited over to Leo di Caprio's gaff to hear him drone on about global warming. And frankly if you're not playing this kind of game, you can't really complain about not making it.

Snow Patrol are interesting in that they were slogging away at it for years before the moderate success of their first album and it was only album 3 or 4 where they hit the big time at which point they'd been at it a decade. I also wonder to what extent the fact they formed and grew in Scotland had an impact on their future success.

Pretty much all the factors that militate against a band doing well in 2016 existed in 2006 and indeed before. Whatever leavings Spotify pays etc wasn't even a revenue stream in 2006 and social media (should at any rate) makes it easier than in the past to amass a coherent following.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back