I have the horn for... (3 Viewers)

Men get better looking with age, it's just not fair.
@MDR has a theory that, as a man, if you take reasonably good care of yourself, and don't dress like a slob, you get better-looking with age

That's considered relatively to your age cohort though - you look better than your bet-down alcoholic former schoolmates, not better than you looked when you were in your 30s. I sure as shit don't look as good as I did 10 years ago

@MDR has a theory that, as a man, if you take reasonably good care of yourself, and don't dress like a slob, you get better-looking with age

That's considered relatively to your age cohort though - you look better than your bet-down alcoholic former schoolmates, not better than you looked when you were in your 30s. I sure as shit don't look as good as I did 10 years ago
There is probably some truth to that theory but I think it's the clothes. Men can look timeless because 'looking smart' stays (more or less) the same style. There is a huge gap in affordable women's fashion for the 40-60 age. One is either too old to wear what's on the shelves (for young people) yet too young to wear what's on the shelves (for older ladies) without looking like a granny or spending a goddamn fortune. I might just start buying suits from now on.

. I might just start buying suits from now on.
This current trend for bright-coloured "mens" suits is a great look
Screen-Shot-2023-03-03-at-1.49.42-PM-1.jpg

4864.jpg

You look fit and strong as fuck these days ... but yeah nothing lasts forever, and it is hard to take :(
We need to take care of our diet and exercise as best we can and love our bodies no matter how they look

It's easy to fall into the trap of dreading every wrinkle and sag and grey hair, but it is a trap

Hating yourself is a waste of time

If it's something i can't control, I will always try to let it go. With a smile, if I can.
I can always control how i react to it, you know?

Getting older is a gift. I try to embrace it. We're lucky.

There is probably some truth to that theory but I think it's the clothes. Men can look timeless because 'looking smart' stays (more or less) the same style. There is a huge gap in affordable women's fashion for the 40-60 age. One is either too old to wear what's on the shelves (for young people) yet too young to wear what's on the shelves (for older ladies) without looking like a granny or spending a goddamn fortune. I might just start buying suits from now on.
I recently had a locksmith out who was one of those storyteller types. He was regaling me with anecdotes and snippets of wisdom in a paternal way until he mentioned he was a "child of the 80s." At that point, I had to tell him I was actually a year older than him. He was shocked and said I was "well preserved". I corrected him saying not at all, it's just because I dress like a teenager.

If someone thinks I look good as I am now they should have seen me in my prime. I must have been stunning.

I recently had a locksmith out who was one of those storyteller types. He was regaling me with anecdotes and snippets of wisdom in a paternal way until he mentioned he was a "child of the 80s." At that point, I had to tell him I was actually a year older than him. He was shocked and said I was "well preserved". I corrected him saying not at all, it's just because I dress like a teenager.

If someone thinks I look good as I am now they should have seen me in my prime. I must have been stunning.
You are stunning, Johnny. Timeless, like a suit.

I get more attention from mid-20 somethings now than I did when I was mid-20 somethings.

I put it down to daddy issues

Same. Getting more attention now than I ever did. I also put it down to being much more self-confident and of course being practically married (this type of attention ceases to exit the second one becomes single). Also people not realising I'm in my 40s is very funny.
'I'm old enough to be your Da'

The amount of attention I got plummeted when my hair went grey in my early 30s :/

I can always control how i react to it, you know?
Heh, I suspect we're coming from different places here, and each of us are giving the advice we ourselves most need to hear. I've been working on trying to just experience my emotions when they're negative, rather than avoiding or trying to solve them

There is probably some truth to that theory but I think it's the clothes. Men can look timeless because 'looking smart' stays (more or less) the same style. There is a huge gap in affordable women's fashion for the 40-60 age.

I agree with this synopsis. When i went to get a suit 3 years ago I was thinking it was a 5 year job, the it'll be downgraded to going to the pub in or whatever and still be legit. I wear clothes that were intended for my dad but he didn't like (30 year age gap). I have a pair of trousers almost twenty years old. The clothing market does not treat women this way. Last wedding I was at, i was with 3 generations of relatives and we were effectively all wearing the same outfit.

they should have seen me in my prime. I must have been stunning.

You were, Johnny.
We were all gorgeous.
It was wasted on us a little, maybe?

I've been working on trying to just experience my emotions when they're negative, rather than avoiding or trying to solve them
Yeah, I work through them. See what's feeding them; it's often some measure of fear or shame or whatever.
I see it as being kind to myself, cos it's what I'd do for a friend that was feeling bad and asked for advice.

The story you tell yourself in your head about yourself ends up being your life. Or I think so anyway.

We are alive. And mostly healthy. Got some measure of love in our lives. And it's absolutely bloody fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back