I got me tickets for The Dark Knight! (2 Viewers)

Yeah, I get the whole patriot act/civil liberties bit that the sonar technology implied.... but the way it was handled wasn't great. It was a decent idea ruined by over flashy special effects. If Bats coulda seen what the bad guys were up to (getting very nerdy here, but hey....) on some sorta HUD or whatever, that could have been cool. If he'd had a small window in the corner of his vision so he could see who was around the next corner. But instead we got FULL SCREEN DAREDEVIL/I CAN SEE THE MATRIX type shit, that would have been a hinderance to him, as opposed to a help.

The Ferry scenes. Voting? On paper? If your life is at risk and time is running out, why not ask for a show of hands? A ballot? Fuck sake. And I don't think a bunch of murderers and rapists would have accepted their fate so calmly. Even if if was effectively the dude from Green Mile that was calling the shots.

Batman in Hong Kong? Fair enough you don't like him leaving Gotham.... but that scene was cool as shit! For me it pushed home the difference between Bruce Wayne and a loada wannabes with guns and badly fitted costumes. Whereas they can't shut down a drug deal, Batman can pull off the impossible.

The whole Batpod scene was indeed probably the best thing about the movie. There were plenty of gasps when that truck flipped!

That review is spot on, while they did try and cram in a bit too much it was still an amazing film and good to see a blockbuster can still be clever.

I also loved the sparing use of CGI, compare the scenes of Batman gliding off building tops to that of Spiderman and it just seems so much more believable

That review is spot on, while they did try and cram in a bit too much it was still an amazing film

I thought that the boat scene would end with the joker setting it up so that they were actually holding the detonators for their own ships.

There was also an unbelievable amount of kids ages 6+ at the screening I went to. There's no way it's suitable for someone that age, I hope the stupid fucking parents are kept up for nights on end with wailing kids who can't sleep.

TDK had very little of worth to say about terrah or civil liberties beyond "invasion of privacy is bad, OK? Oh, alright, we'll do it just this once, ya cheeky monkey."

Because it thinks it's much more clever than it actually is.

I think the word you're looking for here is cleverererer.

That review above is almost exactly how I felt about The Dark Knight. It's taking me awhile to fully absorb the film and I know a second viewing will cement it further in my mind - there really is a fucking lot to soak up.

It's a hugely ambitious film and looking back at the trailer again, I fully believe it delivered on its promise. It really captures the central themes of The Long Halloween and marries them with its own and an atmosphere and intensity similar to Heat. I don't think it was flawless, but it's probably the best Batman film that's ever going to be made - I just can't imagine Nolan topping it, even if he makes a third.

There were times when I just wanted it to be over because I couldn't take the misery, the endless spiraling misery, but I loved it. I'm crazy for those hopeless dystopian stories and this was epic misery. Watching Batsy's hubris come crashing down, watching Rachel Dawes horrifically die mid sentence (jesus!), Dent fall from grace and become a lunatic wielding a gun at a child! FUCK ME! Batman fighting swat guys, flipping a truck, diving off a skyscraper and crashing through the window of another to kidnap a crook via an airhook. Jesus this was fucking amazing!!!!!

The bank job at the start was pure Heat. So intense and so clever. The joker was both funny and terrifying at once. Completely unpredictable and completely believable as a murderous psychopath - with his ever changing stories of the origin of his facial scars to his justification for creating chaos. Identifying his relationship with Batman as symbiotic reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns - incredible! As a character, he almost functioned as a chaos within the whole plot of the movie, making it seem endless and unpredictable. Ledger was just incredible.

I thought Dent's slip into madness very plausible and believable - he seemed slightly unhinged to begin with. It didn't come off like the ridiculous switch of Anakin to the dark side that it could have, it felt possible and founded. Especially how he decided it was Gordon's fault - putting the gun to his own head and then to a child's!! Fucking crazy shit. Killing him off was a shame, but within the story it made sense. I loved the ending. Gordon's dialogue was slightly hammy, but over the visuals of an injured Batman fleeing and the swelling music - INCREDIBLE!

Some people were disappointed and that's bound to happen with so much hype and expectations and imagined story lines, but to think this is a shit film or that it's 'meh' or not true to Batman - get fucked! Not liking it is one thing, but this is by no means shit. It's a fucking epic.

I need to see this again. I NEED THIS!

I think the word you're looking for here is cleverererer.

That review above is almost exactly how I felt about The Dark Knight. It's taking me awhile to fully absorb the film and I know a second viewing will cement it further in my mind - there really is a fucking lot to soak up.

It's a hugely ambitious film and looking back at the trailer again, I fully believe it delivered on its promise. It really captures the central themes of The Long Halloween and marries them with its own and an atmosphere and intensity similar to Heat. I don't think it was flawless, but it's probably the best Batman film that's ever going to be made - I just can't imagine Nolan topping it, even if he makes a third.

There were times when I just wanted it to be over because I couldn't take the misery, the endless spiraling misery, but I loved it. I'm crazy for those hopeless dystopian stories and this was epic misery. Watching Batsy's hubris come crashing down, watching Rachel Dawes horrifically die mid sentence (jesus!), Dent fall from grace and become a lunatic wielding a gun at a child! FUCK ME! Batman fighting swat guys, flipping a truck, diving off a skyscraper and crashing through the window of another to kidnap a crook via an airhook. Jesus this was fucking amazing!!!!!

The bank job at the start was pure Heat. So intense and so clever. The joker was both funny and terrifying at once. Completely unpredictable and completely believable as a murderous psychopath - with his ever changing stories of the origin of his facial scars to his justification for creating chaos. Identifying his relationship with Batman as symbiotic reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns - incredible! As a character, he almost functioned as a chaos within the whole plot of the movie, making it seem endless and unpredictable. Ledger was just incredible.

I thought Dent's slip into madness very plausible and believable - he seemed slightly unhinged to begin with. It didn't come off like the ridiculous switch of Anakin to the dark side that it could have, it felt possible and founded. Especially how he decided it was Gordon's fault - putting the gun to his own head and then to a child's!! Fucking crazy shit. Killing him off was a shame, but within the story it made sense. I loved the ending. Gordon's dialogue was slightly hammy, but over the visuals of an injured Batman fleeing and the swelling music - INCREDIBLE!

Some people were disappointed and that's bound to happen with so much hype and expectations and imagined story lines, but to think this is a shit film or that it's 'meh' or not true to Batman - get fucked! Not liking it is one thing, but this is by no means shit. It's a fucking epic.

I need to see this again. I NEED THIS!

great fucking review

Fuck me. Utterly drained after that.

What was the story with the Scarecrow at the start?

It really confused me. About 45 seconds into the movie and already I didn't know what was going on, not a good start.

Ledger really does cut it, regardless of the reviews. Shame he's not around to answer for it. It's not the most intelligent movie you'll ever see; nor is it the best movie you'll ever see.But it's the most entertainig movie i've seen so far.

The only criticisims i've heard so far are with the dialouge; and I'm not with them; its too fucking easy; and this is a comic book super hero movie; the basic principles are a priority over filmic content, and accusations of patriotism are easy money these days.

Great cast. Everybody does what their characters are meant to do.

Ledger's portrayal of the joker is matched only by that of the Bat-Pod, as the Bat-Pod.

my favourite bit was
the Joker dressed up as a nurse, complete with hilarious wig, sitting beside Dent going "haaaaay...". or mincing away from the hospital. I seen the film in arklow in a cinema full of knackers. early on in the film when the Joker sidles up to Maggie Gyllenhaal, combs his hair and goes "hey beautiful!" a big tough knacker at the back let out a huge high pitched laugh. it was amazing.

maybe my favourite movie of all time..
possibly has something to do with being obsessed with batman, but i loved every minute off it.

amazing score too..

I loved, loved, loved the Joker. By far, he was one of the main things that stuck in my head after seeing the film. I was seriously worried all the praise heaped on Ledger was pity-praise but I couldn't have been more wrong. From the first scene he appears in, he holds your attention - and the scene where he burst in on the criminal gang was fantastic. (Especially when he kept toying with the trigger for the bombs in his pocket). It really set him up as this curious mix of insecure/megalomaniacal/comic/scary.

It was interesting how he did these really evil things, and yet you felt sympathetic towards him - even though he kept changing his story about how he got the scars.

He really embodied the idea of a 'joker' - he had the best lines in the whole film (although admittedly the script wasn't outstanding by any stretch of the imagination).

The Nurse scenes were pure gold - I was in stitches. It was hilarious, and yet it was so menacing at the same time. All the little details to his costume were fab - his name tag was blank (ie they never discovered the Joker's identity); he had a Harvey Dent sticker on his outfit; he was still wearing his joker's socks, etc.
I LOVED his costume, the waistcoat/shirt combo, and the way they said it was custom made. And the way his hair had green tinges to it, and the make-up was so well done as well, as were the scars.
It's so fucking sad that he is dead.

I hated the Batman's voice - it was absolutely ridiculous, by the end i was in stitches. I couldn't understand why he used the voice even when he was with people who knew he was Bruce Wayne.

Maggie Gyllenhaal did her best with the typical female role (ie minimal amount to do) and was far better than Katie Holmes, but nothing spectacular.

Dent was pure cheese, so his transformation to an evil man, although slightly rushed, was interesting. The CGI on his face was really well done, it was disgustingly brilliant.

I thought the sonar technology bits were a bit hammy 'oh NO I simply COULD NOT DO THAT, wail weep etc etc' - were they done in 3D in the IMAX cinemas?

Also I agree with whoever said that they thought the ferry people should have had the detonators to their own boat, that's also what I assumed would have happened.

The fight scenes under the L train tracks were fantastic, I loved the direction during all the action shots, and in particular the scenes in Hong Kong/the night time scenes in Gotham.

I loved that it was set in Chicago, as I lived there on a J1 a few years ago - they did one scene across from where I worked, which was cool to see :)

loved the film, real comic book, joker totally stole the movie.
great that looked that bit grainy and jumpy at times, would have been crap if it was crystal clear with all the explosions and all, bit too much going on at times but still good, people were clapping heaths name which i thought was a little cheesy tho

the people on the boats may well have had the detonators to their own boat, it's not like they pressed them.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back