I got me tickets for The Dark Knight! (4 Viewers)

true but i think he wanted them to live with what they'd done and what that'd made them into.

hey Rita, if you put [spoiler.] at the start of your post (without the fullstop at the end!) and [/spoiler.] at the end of your post (again without the fullstop) it puts your post into a spoiler bar so it won't spoil anything for people who haven't seen it :)

Yeah that is a good theory - that this predicament could have turned them into killers.

Saw this tonight. Can't add much to what's been said already.

The joker, everything about him, the writing, acting etc. was magnificent. If anyone's ever read "the killing joke" thats the sort of theme I think they were going for with this version of the joker. Every criminal act he commits in the film is designed to show how little it takes for a normal person to become as murderous as him, right down to the boat scene at the end. The difference from the killing joke being that he actually suceeds with Dent at the end.

Also, did anyone notice when Batman saved the Joker from falling from the building towards the end? Looked to me like a cheeky nod to/reversal of the end of the 1989 film.

the people on the boats may well have had the detonators to their own boat, it's not like they pressed them.....

I think we were all primed to assume that after the way the Joker played the Dent/Rachel dilemma...it would have been nice if Suit Guy had killed all the civilians while the prisoners did the right thing...

Definitely the best superhero film I've seen, though it doesn't seem quite right to even include it in the same category as Spiderman et al. I do think it would have been a better-constructed film if it had ended after two hours, but maybe there's something in there about narrative and how things don't always end when we expect them to.

saw this last night. not without its flaws but very impressive indeed. i thought it looked slightly too polished in comparison to batman begins. cast was fantastic, ledger the obvious standout. such a physical performance and he really inhabits the character. it's all in the eyes.

Good film, but:

batcookie.jpg

Amazing film. So glad this didn't disappoint.

The only bit that made me go 'ffs' was the bit with Harvey asking Gordon what his nickname was when he was in IA:

'Harvey Two-Face'

That is such a shit nickname.

But yeah, it was a minor gripe!

Heath Ledger was awesome and I usually can't stand him. Such an amazing performance. The cast were just spot on.

I think the word you're looking for here is cleverererer.

That review above is almost exactly how I felt about The Dark Knight. It's taking me awhile to fully absorb the film and I know a second viewing will cement it further in my mind - there really is a fucking lot to soak up.

It's a hugely ambitious film and looking back at the trailer again, I fully believe it delivered on its promise. It really captures the central themes of The Long Halloween and marries them with its own and an atmosphere and intensity similar to Heat. I don't think it was flawless, but it's probably the best Batman film that's ever going to be made - I just can't imagine Nolan topping it, even if he makes a third.

There were times when I just wanted it to be over because I couldn't take the misery, the endless spiraling misery, but I loved it. I'm crazy for those hopeless dystopian stories and this was epic misery. Watching Batsy's hubris come crashing down, watching Rachel Dawes horrifically die mid sentence (jesus!), Dent fall from grace and become a lunatic wielding a gun at a child! FUCK ME! Batman fighting swat guys, flipping a truck, diving off a skyscraper and crashing through the window of another to kidnap a crook via an airhook. Jesus this was fucking amazing!!!!!

The bank job at the start was pure Heat. So intense and so clever. The joker was both funny and terrifying at once. Completely unpredictable and completely believable as a murderous psychopath - with his ever changing stories of the origin of his facial scars to his justification for creating chaos. Identifying his relationship with Batman as symbiotic reminded me of The Dark Knight Returns - incredible! As a character, he almost functioned as a chaos within the whole plot of the movie, making it seem endless and unpredictable. Ledger was just incredible.

I thought Dent's slip into madness very plausible and believable - he seemed slightly unhinged to begin with. It didn't come off like the ridiculous switch of Anakin to the dark side that it could have, it felt possible and founded. Especially how he decided it was Gordon's fault - putting the gun to his own head and then to a child's!! Fucking crazy shit. Killing him off was a shame, but within the story it made sense. I loved the ending. Gordon's dialogue was slightly hammy, but over the visuals of an injured Batman fleeing and the swelling music - INCREDIBLE!

Some people were disappointed and that's bound to happen with so much hype and expectations and imagined story lines, but to think this is a shit film or that it's 'meh' or not true to Batman - get fucked! Not liking it is one thing, but this is by no means shit. It's a fucking epic.

I need to see this again. I NEED THIS!

Meh! I know that meh comment was directed at me, you fucking pervert, but I hope you don't think I had all these imagined storylines and hype ripping through my veins before seeing it. I've always been more into the origin story of Batman than his relationship with the Joker yet I still loved that aspect of the movie.

I watched it again on pirate over the weekend and it's definitely the ending that fucks up the whole thing (for me). It was mostly great up until that point. It obviously has flaws, only the imdb geeks are gonna claim it to be the greatest thing since the garden of eden. I guess the end just jarred so much with me, that it fucked over the rest of the movie.

The combination of the flat ferry scene, silly sonar, Harvey dying and Gordon's lame speech (again imho) just weren't the cherry on the delicious cake we'd be feasting on up until that point. I was really let down by all that shit and coming outta the film I was left feeling let down. On reflection though, 90% of what went before that was pretty much perfect.

Maybe in the DVD directors cut, they'll stick in a few scenes at the end from Batman Forever? Batman pushes Harvey out the window and then it cuts to Tommy Lee Jones in the helicopter?

"If the Bat wants, we'll play!"

*Roll credits*

Meh! I know that meh comment was directed at me, you fucking pervert, but I hope you don't think I had all these imagined storylines and hype ripping through my veins before seeing it. I've always been more into the origin story of Batman than his relationship with the Joker yet I still loved that aspect of the movie.

I watched it again on pirate over the weekend and it's definitely the ending that fucks up the whole thing (for me). It was mostly great up until that point. It obviously has flaws, only the imdb geeks are gonna claim it to be the greatest thing since the garden of eden. I guess the end just jarred so much with me, that it fucked over the rest of the movie.

The combination of the flat ferry scene, silly sonar, Harvey dying and Gordon's lame speech (again imho) just weren't the cherry on the delicious cake we'd be feasting on up until that point. I was really let down by all that shit and coming outta the film I was left feeling let down. On reflection though, 90% of what went before that was pretty much perfect.

Maybe in the DVD directors cut, they'll stick in a few scenes at the end from Batman Forever? Batman pushes Harvey out the window and then it cuts to Tommy Lee Jones in the helicopter?

"If the Bat wants, we'll play!"

*Roll credits*

Anything for Tommy Lee Jones to reprise his immaculate portrayal of Harvey-Two Face-Dent. ANYTHING!

i don't think gary oldman convinces in the role of commissioner gordon. gordon's too weedy a character and oldman has a villain's face.

Gordon weedy? Maybe you're thinking of Burton's blundering barking dog version of Commissioner Gordon. Oldman is a fantastic actor and is utterly convincing in any role I've ever seen him in.

Gordon weedy? Maybe you're thinking of Burton's blundering barking dog version of Commissioner Gordon. Oldman is a fantastic actor and is utterly convincing in any role I've ever seen him in.
fantastic actor, don't get me wrong. it's just that all oldman's iconic roles, or at least my favourite oldman roles, have been badass characters: drexl, stansfield (leon), dracula, lee harvey oswald, sid vicous, etc. i thought gordon was a damp squib in both films. oldman would've served the films better as a bad guy imho. not to pidgeonhole him as an actor of course, the man's great in almost everything, but batman is about larger than life characters and oldman clearly has a talent for playing disturbed individuals. that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back