HWCH 2007 (1 Viewer)

I wonder what they tell them when they ask why they didn't get on.

"Hey, i'm ringing to ask why my band, "Hooray For Paranoid Stoat, Fights Like Republic of Ten Speed Betamax Groomorentos", didn't get on your festival?"
"Cos yer shite, now fuck off".

Man i'd love that job.

t

The selection process doesn't seem fair though-from what I understand...any band wanting to play this pays a E20 registration fee. This is money down the drain when there are acts playing who didn't even register in the first place.[/quote]

point taken, if the entry procedure isn't overseen fairly it's a bit of a jip alright, I cant condone that, I assume the entry fee goes towards advertising venue cost etc. Bands getting in who didn't apply is a bit weird though, but given peoples (me included) tendency to over-react I would hope that these were isolated slip ups rather than official policy.

How many bands can you say you definitely know of that got in without applying/paying entry fee/going through proper channels etc??

hooray for humans.. who else just taking this year into account as well rather than past incidents.

As for the claims they are making about how beneficial to bands this festival will be.... I'm sure they are speaking in terms of what they hope to achieve rather than what they promise will definitely happpen, i.e. bands becoming superfamous, fabulously rich, signed, and more handsome than before.

I don't begrudge anyone their place on this and it isn't the be-all-and-end-all of gigging in Dublin.

At the same time, not getting on the bill is not necessarily a sign of laziness on the bands part and is not a sign that they don't play outside of Dublin.

We (Groom) do all those things in the quoted post (to the best of our ability) and still nothing.

It's not the end of the world though. I heard that people are ringing up the organisers and giving them a bollocking demanding to know why their band were not selected. That is pathetic. Accept you didn't make the list and move on.

We are playing the Boom Boom Room on the 27th of September in full on two-drummer mode.

Come see us!

Too True.
I dont get why some people are getting so up in arms about it! It really isnt the be all and end all of gigs for your band this year - or even this summer! My band didnt apply last year and we aint playing this year either - on the up side tho we played/and are playing 3 festivals this summer thats getting us outside Dublin AND we're getting PAID for it. .|..|

I wonder what they tell them when they ask why they didn't get on.

"Hey, i'm ringing to ask why my band, "Hooray For Paranoid Stoat, Fights Like Republic of Ten Speed Betamax Groomorentos", didn't get on your festival?"
"Cos yer shite, now fuck off".

Man i'd love that job.

if you losers don't like it, start your own festival!

My mate got his feedback:

Thank you for taking part in HWCH. We're sorry that you din't make the final cut, but we hope that you will still buy tickets and attend as a civilian so that you might pick up some hints that will help your application next year.

Music - 5/10 (some good songs, but interpol influences are too controversial)
Stage presence - 6/10 (lead singer's idea of holding a beer bottle is exactly what we're looking for)
Myspace rating: 4/10 (1:1 ratio of myspace friends to myspace views suggests poor friend to fan conversion rate)
x-factor - 2/10 (the band's weakest point)

Tips for the future: Try sending a tape to Jackie Hayden's Demo Dungeon. Also, your press releases should always point out that you are the hardest working band in Dublin, as people tend to think about a band's workrate before buying their album.

I don't think bands have to pay to apply, I think since the festival got sponsorship, the sponsor pays for that.

Thank you for taking part in HWCH. We're sorry that you din't make the final cut, but we hope that you will still buy tickets and attend as a civilian so that you might pick up some hints that will help your application next year.

Stage presence - 6/10 (lead singer's idea of holding a beer bottle is exactly what we're looking for)
Myspace rating: 4/10 (1:1 ratio of myspace friends to myspace views suggests poor friend to fan conversion rate)

Tips for the future: Try sending a tape to Jackie Hayden's Demo Dungeon. Also, your press releases should always point out that you are the hardest working band in Dublin, as people tend to think about a band's workrate before buying their album.

hahaha fuck sake thats funny :)

I wonder how Peaches got to hear about HWCH last year? Did she pay her 20 quid entry fee?

that is fucking hilarious.
how the fuck do they get away with being such arseholes.?

"Also, your press releases should always point out that you are the hardest working band in Dublin, as people tend to think about a band's workrate before buying their album."

Ha ha ha. So people will think you are Aslan?

"that is fucking hilarious.
how the fuck do they get away with being such arseholes.?"

ummmmm....

Yeah, ummmmm....

TBH I think it's alright that these "pullers" get in without applications so long everyone else isn't paying to apply. That would suck. Pretty sure that was the set up for first few years. I never went before. If 800 peeps paid twenty quid each and 90% were already decided then that would be bad. Not the case anymore though I don't think.

And people who want to do their own festival on the same dates...it would sound a lot better had you not already applied for HWCH and been rejected.

The whole "not good enough" for HWCH heros atitude stinks though. And the "little bitches" remark. Bad Buzz.

well, people are bitching aren't they? The real 'bad buzz' is that - not me calling it what it is. Also a bit of a 'bad buzz' are the libelous remarks about the organisers.

I think all gigs should go through a lengthy Thumped Tribunal process like this to ensure safe and fair rocking in Ireland....because the music industry needs to maintain its reputation for fairness.

Seriously though, I think its great opportunity for the bands taking part, local musicians and gig-goers alike to begrudge and whinge about bands they would not normally get the opportunity to begrudge and whinge about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back