HWCH 2007 (1 Viewer)

as far as i can remember, i got 7/10 for song writing ability and 6/10 for sound quality and the two categories i got 7/10 for as well
happy enough considering the two songs i have on the site, but i realise now that i do have better songs (only very badly recorded...) - no idea why i didn't just put the EP up onto it though
:confused:
anyone else want to spill the beans on what they got?

- leigh

The sound quality thing seems bollocks, if you're going to be playing live why does it matter how well or poorly your demo is recorded?

kick arse alan, kick some fucking arse!
:mad::rolleyes:
- leigh

Meh, I just don't want people to be getting bitter with my band. It's nothing to do with us really.

People sure seem to get worked up over it though. Including the guy who emailed me saying I'd "thrown away an opportunity that most bands would give their right arm for". What a knob.

Meh, I just don't want people to be getting bitter with my band. It's nothing to do with us really.

People sure seem to get worked up over it though. Including the guy who emailed me saying I'd "thrown away an opportunity that most bands would give their right arm for". What a knob.
was it someone from HWCH???

good lord alan. talk about the silence behind the violence. and here was me thinking dave was the bad ass in the band:D

No, not someone from HWCH. Just some random dude. I dunno who he was. Presumably someone who was pissed off their band didn't get through

that's a bit sad all right

ah ok, i see now... leigh, i would have given you 0/10 for conviction, 10/10 for animosity and 69/10 for the craic.

aaaaaaaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. what a lympog!!! :)

eh...what are you trying to get at????? personally i've no problem with their assessment at all
:rolleyes:
- leigh

Whether you like the festival or not, i find the FMC people are very helpful with information about stuff that a band mightn't know about, 'specially a thicko like me.
Helped us loads, i thought. Nice folks too. I'd recommend it other bands, drop in for a chat.

Hill-Walking Chocolate Hippos - there's a festival i wish i was watching.

Whether you like the festival or not, i find the FMC people are very helpful with information about stuff that a band mightn't know about, 'specially a thicko like me.
Helped us loads, i thought. Nice folks too. I'd recommend it other bands, drop in for a chat.

Agreed.

The FMC are a very helpful and friendly group of people. What 10-7 said is very true and people should make use of them for advice etc.

Hard Working Class Heroes is being run by a government-backed organisation so it needs to have some sort of objectivity with regards to the line-up. It also needs to show that it is somehow providing real practical support for the arts (which is does).
This then leads to this clumsy way of selecting bands - appearing to be open to all-comers, and then using some fairly abitrary criteria to select the bands. Of course you're going to get people grumbling about not getting on the bill.
There isn't an objective when it comes to music - it's basically if the festival or gig organiser actually likes your band or not.

I haven't said this festival is shit. It strikes me as being very well organised and it has a lot of bands that are worth seeing.

My gripe is that it strikes me as being a musical equivalent of an agricultural fair organised by An Bórd Bia.

Most music festivals have a fairly clear artistic or social aim. They want to compile a weekend of great electronic music, or they want to have a few days where people can really enjoy the surroundings of a particular place.
The bands and artists then fit in around this over-arching aim. The organisers will book bands etc. who they can get and who they think will fit in to the overall festival. It can be cliquey and it can be elitist - but it's honest.

The aim of Hard Working Class Heroes seems to be simply to get bands in touch with big record labels or to somehow make them more successful. After you strip away the bells and whistles it's simply an industry showcase.

Hag is spot on to keep asking for what feedback people get. The supposedly objective criteria being used is total nonsense.

It's better than nothing though. I suppose the FMC have to do this to keep their heads above water and to keep their paymasters happy (who I don't imagine have a very indepth knowledge of indie music in Ireland). Maybe it's trying to be like South by South West?

The FMC are a very helpful and friendly group of people. What 10-7 said is very true and people should make use of them for advice etc.

Hard Working Class Heroes is being run by a government-backed organisation so it needs to have some sort of objectivity with regards to the line-up. It also needs to show that it is somehow providing real practical support for the arts (which is does).
This then leads to this clumsy way of selecting bands - appearing to be open to all-comers, and then using some fairly abitrary criteria to select the bands. Of course you're going to get people grumbling about not getting on the bill.
There isn't an objective when it comes to music - it's basically if the festival or gig organiser actually likes your band or not.

I haven't said this festival is shit. It strikes me as being very well organised and it has a lot of bands that are worth seeing.

My gripe is that it strikes me as being a musical equivalent of an agricultural fair organised by An Bórd Bia.

Most music festivals have a fairly clear artistic or social aim. They want to compile a weekend of great electronic music, or they want to have a few days where people can really enjoy the surroundings of a particular place.
The bands and artists then fit in around this over-arching aim. The organisers will book bands etc. who they can get and who they think will fit in to the overall festival. It can be cliquey and it can be elitist - but it's honest.

The aim of Hard Working Class Heroes seems to be simply to get bands in touch with big record labels or to somehow make them more successful. After you strip away the bells and whistles it's simply an industry showcase.

Hag is spot on to keep asking for what feedback people get. The supposedly objective criteria being used is total nonsense.

It's better than nothing though. I suppose the FMC have to do this to keep their heads above water and to keep their paymasters happy (who I don't imagine have a very indepth knowledge of indie music in Ireland). Maybe it's trying to be like South by South West?

Actually... what the hell am I talking about.
It's just a weekend-type-thing that people will enjoy and stuff will happen and there will tears and laughter.
It's just people doing stuff for other people and partly for themselves. No one person is alturistic.
I realised this when I gained huge satisfaction from being thanked by an elderly lady I assisted on to a bus two days ago.
She was a hard working-class heroine. A genuine, war-time heroine. And she never heard of the Chicks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back