How many instruments do you play? (1 Viewer)

some of mah tabla stuff. North Indian classical is all mathematical.
6969821643_74d5cd3e06.jpg

I can't tell if you're joking or not

He's not joking. He's mad into this shit

Thanks ann post. I'll get one going and see if we can find any sweet links.

I can kinda read music, to a rudimentary level. Wouldn't be great at 'sight reading' at all.

I have a dreadful ear for music which I'm trying to improve, through prayer mostly. I'd be ok with relative pitch.

I find persistence is the best route to improvement. The length of time you spend banging away at it is key. It's like flexing a muscle - the music bit of your brain gets more athletic and fit and built up generally.

Not so - the wrong kind of work can be worse than a waste of time; again this is where the objective other comes in - ears can be trained - not necessarily by force of will

guitars are actually never in tune.

(*although I think someone invented a new compensated bridge and tuning system to sort that but it isn't that common)

the only way to have a guitar perfectly in tune is if it's tuned for one key only - some frets would have to be moved slightly - same with any instrument with fixed notes like piano, tuned percussion etc

Not so - the wrong kind of work can be worse than a waste of time; again this is where the objective other comes in - ears can be trained - not necessarily by force of will

I actually meant the length of time you spend playing music is key to mastering an instrument imho (as opposed to concentrating on theory) - not specifically ear training. I forgot to specify that so I did.

Looks like i might be about to add another one as I have been asked to try out as a mandolin player in a bluegrass band. That can't be that hard can it?

I actually meant the length of time you spend playing music is key to mastering an instrument imho (as opposed to concentrating on theory) - not specifically ear training. I forgot to specify that so I did.

Same problem in my experience

Looks like i might be about to add another one as I have been asked to try out as a mandolin player in a bluegrass band. That can't be that hard can it?

Joining in with a few chords - very easy; next level is playing tunes which is very demanding, getting a good repertoire together etc. Seemingly the quietness of the mandolin is a bit of an issue - they're rarely seen in trad sessions

tiny frets will be your biggest obstacle coming from guitar. I used to get fierce pains in the back of my hand when I picked mandolin up first, then again, I have big bony hands. if your playing lead (for want of a better word) on it its not too bad - their a bitch to chord beyond C, A, Em D and G.

the fretboard on a ukuele is a bit wider, plus you dont have the double strings. mando is harder again!

Yiz are putting me off now. Maybe I can get some kind of giant mandolin with big frets? And take every second string off?

Yiz are putting me off now. Maybe I can get some kind of giant mandolin with big frets? And take every second string off?

big mandolin = mandola - they can be had, although they mightnt be much good for bluegrass.
needless to say the quality of the instrument will affect the ammount of pain required - I have a cheapo mandolin with brutal action. lots of ones with nice low action out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back