How have your tastes changed (1 Viewer)

I think my tastes have changed in everything, really, but less in a highbrow/lowbrow dichotomy, and more just... changed. I've got more confidence in what I like.

With regards to music I think I've lost interest in musicians, bands etc. When I was younger I'd obsess over bands and artists, and need to know everything about them, and consequently how they fit into the greater scheme of things. Now I just like a record or I don't, and I've got less interest in how it fits in, which resultingly makes me listen to a far more broad range of music.

I'm not sure that made sense.

I've become much less tolerant of people without any chops. Once I might have been 'wow, you did that song and you can only play two chords, good for you!' now I'm all 'turn off your preset sounds, close your laptop and learn an instrument'. Such an old man, my poptimism is fading.

At the same time I have no time for actually listening to people trying to push music 'forward'. Just gimme the tune!

Basically I want to listen to virtuosos playing 3 chord songs.

I went to uni to do music about 6 years ago (when I was like 27), and doing the music course really broadened my musical boundaries. I always listened to bits of classical music, but now I would listen to far more of it. I also became much more interested in electronic music, which I'd listened to a bit of before but not much, the interest coming from all the music tech sampling and synthesis stuff we were doing. Also I was just hanging around people that were listening to different things too, so I picked up different interests from them too.
Basically, I decided that although there are a few genres that I know much more about, I can find something good in pretty much any kind of music. In other words, there's no real good or bad types of music, just good or bad bands/artists/composers. And naturally, I have much more technically justified ideas behind what 'good' and 'bad' actually means in this sense, because the music course has made my understanding and vocabulary when talking about music much more specific.
Over the last few years I've become more interested in death metal, black metal, industrial, early electronic, krautrock, post-rock, and 'gypsy'/hot jazz styles.

I don't listen to that much music. Maybe half an hour a day or so as a mean. Some days I'll listen all day in work, but not regularly.
That's the biggest change in my listening habits. 10 years ago I'd listen to several hours a day and be on the look out for new stuff and make connections from stuff I already liked.
But I think about music a lot and always have it in my head, which is one of the main reasons I don't listen all the time. Listening to music can often kill off the thoughts and ideas (not just musical ones) that you're forming, it impedes concentration and so on.
It makes me feel a bit gross to listen to music for too long to be honest. It's like eating a never ending bag of crisps.

I think my tastes have changed in everything, really, but less in a highbrow/lowbrow dichotomy, and more just... changed. I've got more confidence in what I like.

With regards to music I think I've lost interest in musicians, bands etc. When I was younger I'd obsess over bands and artists, and need to know everything about them, and consequently how they fit into the greater scheme of things. Now I just like a record or I don't, and I've got less interest in how it fits in, which resultingly makes me listen to a far more broad range of music.

I'm not sure that made sense.

Aye, that pretty much sums me up. I think in the past I tended to research music more than listen to and enjoy it and I think the inverse is true now. Maybe it's just because I'm getting older and rock journalism is becoming way less interesting to me these days. I've even found that if I find an album I love by a band I don't feel the need to get every single other thing they've ever recorded the way I used to.

Another thing that's changed for me over the last year is that I'm listening to a lot more doom metal and dub reggae and less drum and bass. I can't hack the pace anymore!

I listen to everything and have done for about 15 years. I even listen to stuff i'm not sure I like. Its all great in some way. I get offended by people who get stuck in years/periods/genres more and more. If you've given up on music shut the fuck up abut music.

Well said! That's been a peeve of mine for years. I don't know what they play in Whelans these days but I remember it used to be full of guys in their 30s who stopped listening to music in the early 90s shiting about how they liked REAL MUSIC MAN. It's something that I've actively fought against turning into.

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. I've taken to buying more 'mainstream' stuff than I used to, probably in an attempt to stay 'with it'.
I still buy lots of records but I rarely even bother checking the song names on the track list anymore.

And I still hate 98% of the stuff the main radio stations play. But 'hate' is probably too strong..that stuff just means nothing to me, unless it is particularity terrible (see "songs you cant stop listening to" thread)

I agree with a lot of what has already been said. I've taken to buying more 'mainstream' stuff than I used to, probably in an attempt to stay 'with it'.

I went through a phase of this for a while. That's how I ended up buying albums by Sleigh Bells and the Vaccines. It's kind of a bad road to go down.

I don't listen to that much music. Maybe half an hour a day or so as a mean. Some days I'll listen all day in work, but not regularly.
That's the biggest change in my listening habits. 10 years ago I'd listen to several hours a day and be on the look out for new stuff and make connections from stuff I already liked.
But I think about music a lot and always have it in my head, which is one of the main reasons I don't listen all the time. Listening to music can often kill off the thoughts and ideas (not just musical ones) that you're forming, it impedes concentration and so on.
It makes me feel a bit gross to listen to music for too long to be honest. It's like eating a never ending bag of crisps.

Yeah for someone that studies music I actually don't listen to it so much either, maybe an hour a day or so, and it's for similar reasons, because I will tend to regurgitate it in my head and sort of take it apart there and when I'm doing that listening to more would ruin the process

I'm not all that arsed about going to gigs anymore. I used to love them. I still enjoy them and all but for myself the only time I really get out for a night out and catching up with mates is going to a gig. I'd actually be kind of happy enough to skip the gig part these days and just stay in the pub.

Having said all that I am looking forward to catching Adebisi Shank later

I just want to listen to this every day now, and other than that I have no idea whats going on

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not all that arsed about going to gigs anymore. I used to love them.

Same here. I've missed loads of gigs by bands I love because I couldn't be arsed getting a bus. Back in the day I would walk miles to see a a band and walk home afterwards. Now...well, why can't they come to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back