How have your tastes changed (2 Viewers)

Lili Marlene

-
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
...as you've gotten older. Have you become more or less accepting of other peoples musical tastes? Have your tastes become more or less highbrow?

My masssterrrsss are enquiring...

I don't think I've gotten either more or less high-brow. I think my taste is more my own these days. Not that I was a slave to trends in years gone by (I would have taken someone's head off for saying so) but definitely moreso. I think naturally after many years how you source music becomes more heterogeneous. I always worried my tastes would middle out as I got older like my parents but I don't think it has. I'm satieted easier though, in that I don't need to devour new music like I once did - which is something I scold myself for now and again lately.

in terms of music - definitely broader, and possibly a little less extreme in some ways. I now longer listen to certain genres regularly, but still appreciate them.

books etc - about the same, read less fiction that I did once upon a time.

food/drink - more particular/poncy

filums/tv - more middlebrow. at the end of a long day I'd rather watch some fairly harmless crap on netflix these days.

5-10 - Michael Jackson, Madonna, REM, The Smiths, The Doors (from my cousins) Dire Straits, The Bangles,

Pop basically from Kate Bush and Peter Gabriel at one end to Wham and Kylie at the other.

Hated- Hair metal, especially GnR.

10-15 - Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Green Day, REM, Blur, Oasis, Super Furry Animals, Pulp, etc

Hated- Hip hop, Dance music, Metal

15-20 - Waaaaay to many to mention. Mainly alternative stuff, hip hop, Electronic, Dance music, anything you could take drugs to, trip hop (remember that ?), post rock, some metal, some Folk like Dylan and Young.

Hated - Reggae. Nu Metal. Most Hardcore, basically anything with the cookie monster voice.

20-25 - More of the above plus jazz and whatever was "new" at the time. Especially Noise Rock and Math Rock (although I pretty soon grew out of the latter)

Hated - Dubstep (Think that's from around then isn't it ?), Emo, The cookie monster voice ruining really great riffs.

25-30 - Classical, modern classical, but mainly that wonderful period in music between 1977 and 1995 when the "alternative" really exploded. Talking Heads No Wave, New Wave, Hip hop etc right up to the early days of brit-pop.

Hated - modern Hip hop like 50 cent, lads who can't fucking rhyme!!! saying nigga at the end of every sentence is not rhyming!!! Emo, Modern indie, especially those post brit pop abominations like Razorlight or Keane. Fuck they're drab. RnB that's basically "Wanna fuck ? Yeah girl .... you know you wanna fuck?"

Obviously the cookie monster voice also anyone copying Thom Yorke (christ that was fucking dull)

30 - now - Mostly revisit records I already have and occasionally get new stuff if it really grabs me. Really loving hip hop from 1990-1999 like Dre, Nas, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, Beastie Boys etc Nostalgia buzzes like Nu Metal (hilarious stuff) Grunge etc. But also getting into classical in a big way. Most of the music I listen to are things off Bandcamp. Yvette and Kal Marx for example, loads of Irish stuff like No Spill Blood, HUWWTD, Katie Kim, Jennifer Evans- people I know. Pop music seems to be actually okay again not 80's standard but better than the last 10 years.

Hating a lot of guitar music in spite of making guitar music. Hating "Google Rock", actually there's lot of hate. More than ever. lot's of drabness knocking about these days.

Hope this helps.

"I can't take too much loud music
I mean I like to play it but I sure don't like the racket
Noise, but I can't hear anything
Just guitars screaming, screaming, screaming
Some guy is screaming in a leather jacket,"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

actually I forgot to mention that for a while aged maybe 14-25 I could get into singer songwriter types, like Dylan, Young, Elliott Smith, or this guy

james orr complex | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos

Now I cannot think of anything more boring than a man singing well and playing guitar well. I can remember the exact moment when this happened, it was the first time I really listened to Daniel Johnson, (around the time the film came out, so I was about 24). For that music to work the artist has to have two things

1. A good ear.

2. Something to say.

Ability to communicate both those things is sort of secondary for me. So a good ear means more that what they're trying to do, rather than what they are managing to do, in Johnsons case you can tell what he's aiming for but isn't quite getting there. (If you know what I mean)

So Bob Dylan is the quintessential example, great ear, great lyrics, voice not so good.

Neil Young on the other hand had the lot,

and so when I heard Daniel Johnson I realised that I hadn't really heard anyone with anything to say in such a long long time probably since the first two Elliott Smith albums which are quite confessional and even though his voice is a bit weak (in terms of delivery, maybe delicate is a better word, not tone) it works because of that.

Anyway I don't think I've listened to a single "guy with acoustic guitar who sings and plays well" since then. So add singer song writers to the list of hates between 24 - now.

I have got to the point where I would give anything a listen. I am not as dismissive of others' tastes as I've got older as my "taste" has gone out the window. I can appreciate "difficult" music more readily than in the past too I suppose. I have the patience to sit through a whole classical suite and not just the bit off the telly everyone knows.

I listen to everything and have done for about 15 years. I even listen to stuff i'm not sure I like. Its all great in some way. I get offended by people who get stuck in years/periods/genres more and more. If you've given up on music shut the fuck up abut music.

I have stopped any notion of curating some canon or collection that reflects my tastes.
Growing up I was very in tune with what Smash Hits said and then what Q said and probably missed a lot of good stuff because of it.

Now I just listen to recommendations from friends or whatever. Like half the time I might like whatever that hipster lad in the Guardian likes, and half the time it won't take at all.

I go on this board and see what the 'kids' are listening to. But half the time they are just trying to understand what is acceptable to like and what is not, which is deathly boring to me.
Sign In - ateaseweb.com | radiohead message board
It used to be good for leaks. Not so much anymore.

Yeah I think I am probably interested in checking out more new stuff I didn't know before. I think you out grow whatever kind of scenes or music you already knew not because they are rubbish but because you know them so well that you will get fed up or bored of them.
I don't think it should matter what another persons taste in music is. It can be a big relief actually to have friends who arnt into music to much because people can be real snobs about music.
It helps aswell having non dinosaur internet speed these days to check out new things although it is still problematic to find time to listen or to have money to buy a record or stereo equipment ect
Basically you cant know everything that is out there the world is to big. Even if you were to focus all your time on one particular scene you still wouldn't be able to know everything in it.
Having said that I do enjoy particular scenes or genres especially if there are a few giants or well known groups of a particular style I like.

I find it very hard to unlike something. If I liked it once I'll more than likely always like it (with the exception of don caballero). These days I'm happy to keep a steady flow of new new music and lots of "new-to-me" music. Stuff from the 70s that I never knew about or didn't have time for previously.

I find it very hard to unlike something. If I liked it once I'll more than likely always like it (with the exception of don caballero). These days I'm happy to keep a steady flow of new new music and lots of "new-to-me" music. Stuff from the 70s that I never knew about or didn't have time for previously.

I'm a bit like that too. Would listen to more new music if it was available,but ridiculous postage prices and regularly finding good cheap used records means that I listen to more old music than new.

Herb knew the score. RIP.

90.jpg

I be blastin' this def tune outta tha Nite Rida's sweet-ass factory-installed speakas a lot lately. Suckas always comin' up 2 me sayin', damn Dog, we thought you down wit' tha gangsta rap, not no Chicago VII. I say hell no, I gots mad hate foe that wack hip-hop shit. Hall N' Oatz, Neily D, that band that supply air: now that's tha mad slammin' shit, word dat. Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will.

Yeah pretty similar. Except the don cab bit, still love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back