Hong Kong Democracy March (1 Viewer)

La La

i drink your milkshake
what a day. must have been at least 200,000 taking to the streets.

protest4july1_11.jpg

HongKongmarch.jpg

I21145-2004Jul01L

and a nice little angle on the proceedings:

"It's necessary to fight....no matter how old"
It takes just five minutes for a young person to walk from Pacific Place in Admiralty to HSBC headquarters in Central. But Chak Nuen-fai spent 25 minutes on the 650-metre journey during yesterday's march.

For the 86-year-old, who joined a march for the first time in his life, the short walk was a manifestation of his strong commitment to democracy.

Even though he needed a stick to support him, Mr Chak graciously declined the offer of a wheelchair by Szeto Wah, a veteran democrat and his longtime friend.

"I will walk on my own feet so long as I can. It is necessary to fight for democracy no matter how old I am," said Mr Chak, who is a diabetic and seldom walks more than 200 metres during each outing.

Mr Chak's personal history made his walk particularly significant. In September 1967, the general manager of the now-defunct Nan Cheung Printing Company was jailed for three years for printing seditious articles in three pro-Beijing newspapers, the Hong Kong Evening News, New Afternoon News and Tin Fung Daily.

He was hailed as a "patriotic businessman" by leftist leaders after his imprisonment. In 1983, he became a Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference delegate, but boycotted its meetings after the Tiananmen crackdown in 1989.

"I don't see any conflict between loving the country and fighting for democracy," he said.

Setting off at 4.40pm outside Pacific Place with the help of a younger friend, he followed the footsteps of other demonstrators with slow but firm strides.

At times, he was greeted by cheers from other marchers who were impressed by the participation of such an elderly demonstrator. With a broad smile, Mr Chak waved and saluted his fans. "Hong Kong people should take pride in what we did today. It would be difficult to find a parallel in other countries."

Mr Szeto, chairman of the Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, said he was moved by Mr Chak's participation in the march.

-SCMP

awwwwwww what a dude

La La said:
what a day. must have been at least 200,000 taking to the streets.
Deadly.The communist leaders are total fucking pricks and the more pro-democracy marches the better.

I take it you were there?

Democracy is an issue I feel very strongly about. It pisses me off how people over here don't understand how bloody lucky they are to live in a country where we can freely criticise the government and vote in proper democratic elections. How I laugh when people refer to the Irish government as an evil police state. Maybe they should try looking at the world around them instead.

I'm not saying the Irish government is perfect but y'know, at least Bertie never sent tanks and soldiers in to mash loads of students. People don't get locked up or tortured for criticising the government on the internet.

all hong kongers are calling for is universal suffrage.
beijing is full of cunts.
HKers have the right to elect our Chief Executive.
democracy isnt the best thing on earth, but it's a fuckload better than beijing big brother let me tell you.
one country two systems - bollix.

yeah, a fuckin great day, great turnout, great passion, not as many as previous years (half a million) but still; HK's main thoroughfare of the city was trafficless. super. reclaim the streets an all. :)

spiritualtramp said:
Deadly.The communist leaders are total fucking pricks and the more pro-democracy marches the better.

Democracy is an issue I feel very strongly about. It pisses me off how people over here don't understand how bloody lucky they are to live in a country where we can freely criticise the government and vote in proper democratic elections. How I laugh when people refer to the Irish government as an evil police state. Maybe they should try looking at the world around them instead.

I'm not saying the Irish government is perfect but y'know, at least Bertie never sent tanks and soldiers in to mash loads of students. People don't get locked up or tortured for criticising the government on the internet.

You know, this is something that's really struck me since moving to England.
The PR system is far more democratic than the English system of first-past-the-post.
People voted Labour because they didn't want the Tories to get in. But most people here are sick of Labour.
PR is good, although it can quickly lead to weak governments. However it is a proper reflection of how people feel - and it's considered the most democratic system of government.
Oddly enough, Israel is the most democratic country in the world.

Totally agree, PR is the best system hands down.

If PR was brought in in the UK the Tories would win all the time. Bummer, but still, it is a much fairer system.

The only good thing I can say about FPTP is that election night coverage in the UK is waaaay more fun to watch than the elections here.

spiritualtramp said:

yep totally agree..but that doesn't mean that we should ever let politicians away with anything.Ever.

update:
tv screens in china were blacked out so that no coverage from the march would get through. instead, the 'news from hong kong' segment in xinhua did some fucking story about coral in hong kong.
FUCKING CHINA IS SO FUCKED UP IT MAKES ME WANT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT

Have you read about the amount of anti-government riots in rural China? Somethings gotta give eventually.

The chinese governments internet policy makes my blood boil with rage.
Maximum respect to Stainless steel mouse.

a load of my friends who live in shanghai and beijing say it's crazy, things like books and internet and stuff is all limited.

but we should count our lucky stars, at least we're not starving to death in north korea.

Milo Minderbinder said:
You know, this is something that's really struck me since moving to England.
The PR system is far more democratic than the English system of first-past-the-post.
People voted Labour because they didn't want the Tories to get in. But most people here are sick of Labour.
PR is good, although it can quickly lead to weak governments. However it is a proper reflection of how people feel - and it's considered the most democratic system of government.
Oddly enough, Israel is the most democratic country in the world.

the brits will never use PR though. it's fucks with their cosy lab/con cartel. after the last german election all the British media scoffed, saying this is exactly the kind of mess PR gets you in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back