home brewing (1 Viewer)

Doctor Muscles

Website
members.lycos.co.uk
Leaving the job soon so I'm going to pour all the time into making booze. Not bothering with those kit type things from easons (if they're even still around) so I was wondering if anyone here had ever done a home brew, or had some advice regarding it? Also, if anyone knows where to get brewing equipment that would be ace.

I'm only going to be locked!

I ordered stuff from this crowd - Grape N Grain before. Not too expensive and good service.

I think there is also a homebrew store in Dun Laoghaire but I'm not certain about that.

stick a few oranges in a bucket behind the radiator. viola, in six months, prison brew.

No sure where to get the stuff. I'd say online would be best. After you make your beer why not stick it through this!

thats deadly; put cloudy home brew of uncertain strength in before you go to work, get fucked on white spirit of unknown strenght and chemical composition for tea.
This could put the pubs out of business yet!!

Hi, I've started this up a week or two ago. Luckily I stumbled across this site www.irishcraftbrewer.com . There's some really helpful getting started articles and the guys in the forums are really helpful. Anyway, I ordered my stuff from www.thehomebrewcentre.com . I'll be bottling my first batch this weekend. I don't have too high hopes for it but it should be at least drinkable. I'll learn from my mistakes and I've got much higher hopes for the second lot.

Hi, I've started this up a week or two ago. Luckily I stumbled across this site www.irishcraftbrewer.com . There's some really helpful getting started articles and the guys in the forums are really helpful. Anyway, I ordered my stuff from www.thehomebrewcentre.com . I'll be bottling my first batch this weekend. I don't have too high hopes for it but it should be at least drinkable. I'll learn from my mistakes and I've got much higher hopes for the second lot.

Could I have a sample of that first batch?:D

Its dead simple. Just a case of staying thoroughly sanitized. Have had many successful home brews. Would reccomend brewing from extract yer first time around. It a hella lot a work though for what you get out of it. I was brewing 40 pints per brew. Ya wait 4 weeks for forty pints? Think about getting a really big bucket and doing 240 pints per batch. Also, you may want to think about keggin it rather than bottling. Sterilizing bottles is the most time consuming activity I've ever done.

We used to make a good bit of this back when we had a big kitchen. Jaysus, you'd be locked off that stuff before you know what's happening.

I have one tip: don't be tempted to buy the cheapest tin of stuff you can find, i.e. Homebrews Irish Ale/stout/beer. This one cost a fiver back in my day (a fiver for 40 pints - whoo!) but I have been told by people in the know that if you just spend a couple of euro more you can make lovely, import-worthy beers. I've not tried this yet however cos I was awful cheapskate at the time. When I move out of this teeney flat I want to start up the homebrewing again.

This lad used to have a shop in Limerick
http://www.thehomebrewcentre.ie/ordering.htm

Now he's in Killaloe. He knows his schtuff.

I have one tip: don't be tempted to buy the cheapest tin of stuff you can find, i.e. Homebrews Irish Ale/stout/beer. This one cost a fiver back in my day (a fiver for 40 pints - whoo!) but I have been told by people in the know that if you just spend a couple of euro more you can make lovely, import-worthy beers. I've not tried this yet however cos I was awful cheapskate at the time.
also, the amount of sugar you add dictates the alcohol content. when i made it before i (obviously) added a 'generous' amount of sugar. this resulted in a rank tasting booze, which got you gee-eyed after a couple of pints. in hindsight... actually, no i'm gonna make it again!

Well I bottled my first batch yesterday. It's looking pretty good. I left it for about a week after fermentation was complete, but I think if anything trhat will improve it. Sanitising the bottles was really time consuming but everything else was easy and fun. I think I will buy a keg at some stage.

Well I bottled my first batch yesterday. It's looking pretty good. I left it for about a week after fermentation was complete, but I think if anything trhat will improve it. Sanitising the bottles was really time consuming but everything else was easy and fun. I think I will buy a keg at some stage.
I've got two 40 pint kegs. Have only once kegged the second fermentation. Two tips...make enough room in your fridge or buy another fridge that will accommodate a keg, and be prepared to drink 40 pints in a couple of days because it does go flat rather quickly.
Also, once left a brew in the first fermentation for 3 weeks after the first fermentation was complete. Bottled it anyway with a teaspoon of sugar in each bottle. It took about a month for the yeast to do its thing, but turned out to be a lovely yeasty lager at 8.9%. Thats the first thing you notice after brewing, is the lovely taste of yeast. After you have a pint of your brew, head to the pub and have a pint of lager. You really start picking up on taste of yeast in the likes of Carlsberg, hienekin etc. Before, it just tasted like beer.

I was thinking of making some home brew wine over the xmas period. I remember having rice and raison before and it was tastey..

I kinda want to do it so I can photoshop some kooky home made labels for my 'brand'

anyone give a few simple steps to starting to make cider, rather than browsing the net (apologies, just too lazy)..i've an apple tree out back with cookers and normal apples...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back