Headphones? (1 Viewer)

killy kill

(Retired)
This is more a request for advice on headphones for personal/at home use but i'll probably end up using them for recording too. So what do ye recommend? I have a pair
Philips at the mo but theres too much bass/not enough volume. Any help?

i've a pair of sennheisers which i got for IRL£150 (which should give an idea of when i got them), and they're great. you'd probably have to spend €250 for similar, but grado have a good reputation too.

I use the Sennheiser HD 580 and 280 Pro, both excellent headphones.
The 280's are good for sound isolation, they'd work well in the studio. The 580's work best with a dedicated headphone amp, but I don't think they make them anymore, the 600 and 650 are their best ones now. The 580's are a great listening and reference headphone.

i have the 565s - need for a headphone amp is very much dependent on the headphone output on your amp - some companies put them on as an afterthought. i borrowed a xcan headphone amp a few years ago, and the sound wasn't any better than from my amp. slightly softer and warmer, though.

I use (very cheap) Seinheisser HD202, about 60 quid at the time, something like 30 now. Really pleasant to listen to around the place, great isolation. But in monitoring terms, very bass heavy and confusing in the treeble end of things, I'm used to it now and switch between them and the monitors a lot when mixing... but anyhow, Seinheisser are aces

I used to use my brothers sennheiser hd 270's. They were good enough sound but felt a bit too much like somthing you'd wear on a building site to keep out noise. Got myself HD 595's about a years ago. Most comfortable and best sounding headphones i've ever used. Probably similar enough to the 580's that were mentioned earlier. The ear pads are just plush.

I used to use my brothers sennheiser hd 270's. They were good enough sound but felt a bit too much like somthing you'd wear on a building site to keep out noise. Got myself HD 595's about a years ago. Most comfortable and best sounding headphones i've ever used. Probably similar enough to the 580's that were mentioned earlier. The ear pads are just plush.

indeed, the 580's are very comfy.

got me some hd 25s. mainly for recording location sound but theyve such nice natural sounds and isolation ive found ive been using them for everything..
of course i wouldnt favour them for mixing for theyre damn useful to throw on during a mix just to check .

AKG K701s. Pricey but Great. Open back so not good for tracking vocals etc..

Amazing detail though. Great for checking out L-R balance.

God, I never use headphones for listening, mixing, nothing!

I bet I'd mix my things pretty differently if I didn't do it with the headphones on. What's recommended? I suppose it's all preference? I'm deffo phones biased. I like to listen that way too, you see.

If that's how you listen to music all the time, go for it.
I'd just make sure and check your shit on speakers too before you finish up a mix or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back