have you learnt to play an instrument as an adult? (4 Viewers)

Diddles

I really want to learn how to, but I'm not one for learning if I know i'll never be any use at it. Do you have to learn this kind of thing when you're young? Is there any hope that I could become deadly at an instrument at my age?

I can learn most things pretty ok technically speaking, but I've never played an instrument, apart from fluting around on a little honda keyboard when I was a kid.

It seems to me that you have to learn music stuff early. Like at five or something. Also I'm left handed and have very small hands.

I want to play a banjo or a guitar or a harp. Can people teach you if you're left-handed?

Go for it, you'll be grand. Left handed doesn't make any difference other than actually needing a leftie instrument plus presumably you learn new stuff fairly regularly with work so you're still used to learning.

i bought a fiddle there just after christmas but ive barely touched it since. i intend playing it at a gig later this month though so i'll have to get me skates on and me stick on the ice

no, you're fucked.:D

i am actually going to buy a 'cello when i can afford it and give it a ging. also i want to learn classical guitar too. i just need the time..|..|

I thought as much :)

I had to teach myself how to knit and crochet because my Ma said it was wrecking her head as I looked all backwards doing it. A couple of years ago I taught myself to swim by staring at other people in the pool, above and below water. I'm sure I looked like a total perv. Not that that had anything to do with being left-handed but I'm quite proud of it :)

Much cheaper than a Harp!

daniel_higgs.jpg

i got one a few years ago - harder than you'd think

I thought as much :)

I had to teach myself how to knit and crochet because my Ma said it was wrecking her head as I looked all backwards doing it. A couple of years ago I taught myself to swim by staring at other people in the pool, above and below water. I'm sure I looked like a total perv. Not that that had anything to do with being left-handed but I'm quite proud of it :)
you're more of a mentaller than me.
every flute lesson i went to i found it embarrassing because my instructor was shit hot and there was alot of sexual in-your-end-os and also that she was my 'flute instructor'.
she was so hot my dad made a comment. tough times.

Story Diddles,

I think you'll be grand if after the initial buzz of producing a coherant musical noise you're willing to continue the hard work it takes to actually play the instrument.

I can't speak for the banjo. I don't know about the harp, I don't speak clannad, but lefty is nothing in this day and age, don't worry about it.

A friend of mine took up the saxophone a couple of years ago when he was in his 40s. He's now in a jazz quartet and also plays the clarinet

so. no, age doesnt matter

Id get the banjo if i was you

then we can "jam"*

*a musical term, I'll tell you when youve been playing a while

I think it's a lot easier as an adult, providing you want to do it, and you put aside the time. As an adult your more likely to learn the chords and melodys and less time drawing pictures of what you're band logo will be, practicing getting feedback and wondering will your third or fourth album be 'unplugged'

oh and since I became an 'adult' I've learned the mandolin, harmonica, and sort of the autoharp, got a lot better at keyboards and learned a few different types of guitar-ing

once you learn one instrument the rest are easy

The reason it's easier to learn when you're a child is you've way more free time. That's all (I think anyway) - though having said that my Da took up the fiddle in his late 40s (I think) and he was as good at it the first time he took it up as he is now 15 years later

having said that my Da took up the fiddle in his late 40s (I think) and he was as good at it the first time he took it up as he is now 15 years later

That's quite ambiguously put there egg_ Do you mean that he is still really bad or that he was instantly pretty good?

Well, he has a good ear and so can knock a tune out of more or less anything, so he doesn't sound like someone who has just taken it up. But he is pretty bad, my ma sends him to the other end of the house when he's playing. His main problem is he's just playing along with the tunes in his head rather than listening to what's coming out of his instrument

All it takes is a bit of dedication and practice. Lots of practice.

Other than that, yeah, you'll be fine.

I'm always picking up new instruments.

Not very good at most of them but good enough.

I only picked up the bass November last year, after decades of assuming I was in no way musical. Turns out I'm alright, go for it diddles!

practicing getting feedback

I bought a new amp and a couple of pedals last year and when I got them home instead of actualy playing music with them I spent the afternoon on my knees in front of the amp twiddling with the knobs on the pedals seeing what sort of sounds I could get with feedback. I can make my bass sound like a UFO now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back