Has Dublin lost its edge? (2 Viewers)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NO

The_edge_u2_at_brasilia_2011.jpg
The_edge_u2_at_brasilia_2011.jpg

Did it ever have one?

It's a regional UK city essentially.

You may as well be in Cardiff.
I live in the UK.

It's not. There is a massive difference between Ireland and the UK, socially and culturally.

Has Dublin lost it's edge ?

Artistically edge means fuck all. Edge is something Berlin and London and NYC always defined it's self by. But Dublin has never had that kind of confrontational aspect to the arts. It's always seemed far more communal. And so it's the fringe that's important. So long as the fringes like DIY haven't been subsumed into a mire of conservative popular culture and is still at least somewhat visible then everything is fine.

London is a perfect example of that balance being completely tipped and thusly fucked. The "alternative" has become expensive and pedestrian and the genuinely different is invisible.

Dublin (when I left it anyway) had this balance between visible but independent just about right although I'd still say it could use more public money filtered around the fringes of art and music etc and less pummelled into the vainglorious empty rhetoric that makes up the major festivals and media.

I'll be back over in early october I'll let you know when I get back.

Yeah so long as it's got visible fringes it'll all be fine.

scotland-memes-hipster-cow-2.jpg

If I read another fucking

Gentrification = bad

London = good

Article by another clueless fucking hipster who has never set one foot outside of fucking Shoreditch I'll ....eh...... I'll ......... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

Basically

Fuck Shoreditch.

Stop picking cities with populations the fucking size of the whole fucking island. Berlin, Melbourne, New York, Toronto ? Yeah really ?

Try Vilnius, Gothenberg, Liepzig, Poznan you thick cunts.

"Oh but were the capital"

"Yes of a tiny fucking island 370 miles from the biggest fucking city in Europe, thats one hour by plane and costs €19 and they speak the same fucking language. It's always been this way. I'm sure it's similar in New Jersey, Geelong, Dresden, Ottawa or Bristol"

To put all that in context Toulouse is roughly speaking the same distance from Paris and has roughly the same population So do us all a fucking favour and do a fucking report on fucking Toulouse next time you fucking pig ignorant self important cunts. And when you do I'll bet you come back singing a different tune, probably something about regional student populations facing similar "brain drain" issues and difficulties dealing with a conservative culture at governmental level and the same fucking economic struggle to raise funds for art projects or start ups.

Study some fucking geography next time you want to do any comparisons and stop making London out to be the centre of the fucking world. It's fucking shite here.

I've been in Toulouse it was a great time. Thinking about the size of London make's me not want to go there.
There is probably more than a 150 km difference in the distances tough.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back