Good man Stephen Ireland... (1 Viewer)

No it's living memory. Given in goal (shades it over Packie), I'd play McGrath at the back with Moran, O'Leary and Irwin as full-backs, Brady and Keane in the middle (Lawro on the bench), Whelan and Houghton on the flanks (Sheedy and Duff on the bench) and Stapleton and Aldridge up front (Quinn on the bench).

I thought of Tony Galvin, of course. If it was a team of favourite players, rather than best, he'd be bombing down the left wing for sure. But Sheedy and Duff are better.

No it's living memory. Given in goal (shades it over Packie), I'd play McGrath at the back with Moran, O'Leary and Irwin as full-backs, Brady and Keane in the middle (Lawro on the bench), Whelan and Houghton on the flanks (Sheedy and Duff on the bench) and Stapleton and Aldridge up front (Quinn on the bench).

I could be wrong, but I don't remember O'Leary ever playing full back. I'd have much the same with Finnan in place of O'Leary.

O'Leary was a better player than Moran. Centre-half job for him.
If you're intent on playing Kev though, you could move Big Paul to right-full, where he played with distinction against Scotland at Hampden in 1987. Ronnie Whelan was left-full that night, in a bizarre line-up that included goalscorer Lawro in midfield. What a great bunch of players we had.

You can't think of a single person who would be better than Trappatoni that would want the job, yet you'd fire him after one campaign for not qualifying for the World Cup with that squad?
Nonsense.

I don't know if you noticed but we're playing shit football, like. We're stealing wins off the likes of Cyprus and Montenegro. It's only a matter of time before we get a stuffing. And a more high profile one than Australia. It's not like the Charlton days when we had top class defenders like McGrath. We could afford to be defensive then. It's not about playing attractive football either, it's about playing good football. I think this contract extension is complacent.

Go on then, shoot.

The living memory thing makes it difficult for many reasons Brady quit when i was 5 so i can't really say he had much of an impact on me. Holland and Kinsella may have been annonymous but playing beside Keane at that stage of his career even i might have seemed a decent player.

on another point Robbie Keane was excellent for spurs at the weekend, his all round game and in particular his passing was spot on. however he is not a target man or a poacher and thats historically how we play so that's why i left him out.

I don't know if you noticed but we're playing shit football, like. We're stealing wins off the likes of Cyprus and Montenegro. It's only a matter of time before we get a stuffing. And a more high profile one than Australia. It's not like the Charlton days when we had top class defenders like McGrath. We could afford to be defensive then. It's not about playing attractive football either, it's about playing good football. I think this contract extension is complacent.

Go on then, shoot.

This is exactly the point, the fact that there is no place for Andy Reid compounds the point further. Does anyone know what the fuck is the Lee Carsley situation? is he out or not. He's actually a greater loss to the team than Ireland, considering the way Trap sets out the side and the lack of steel in the middle of the field.

to be fair to trap he is working with the worst group of players we've had since the 70s.

Except we'd actually have a pretty good squad if Daddy Dick, Stephen Reid, Andy Reid could all fucking play. We'd be great going forward and holding onto the ball, defence would still be shite is all.

Except we'd actually have a pretty good squad if Daddy Dick, Stephen Reid, Andy Reid could all fucking play. We'd be great going forward and holding onto the ball, defence would still be shite is all.

post your best irish xi at the moment

Given
O Shea Dunne St Ledger ?Kilbane?
Carsley
Duff Reid Reid
Dick
Keane

Jesus that defence is shocking.

I'm giving Daddy Dick a free role here but praying he'll get his head around the idea of defensive duties. still think he's a bit of a luxury.

McGeady before Andy Reid. He's a better player.
Lee Carsley can take a hike. I think the lads we have playing at the moment are about as effective as the guy who single-handedly knocked us out of Euro 2000.

Go on then, shoot.

You are confusing with multiple inaccuracies!
And Chris Morris and Alan Kernaghan and Phil Babb and early Steve Staunton (Charlton era)? We NEVER did more than steal wins under Charlton either, or anyone else for that matter. Remember McGrath stealing a Luxembourg home win and the same away? Remember drawing to Leichtenstein away?
And did we play good football in Italia 90? Did we fuck. We didn't come anywhere close to winning a game either.

We played pretty good football under Captain Fantastic.
Actually seem like halcyon days now, even if we did screw up whenever it came to the crunch. The Euro 2000 qualifiers were good craic.

I remember agreeing with me dad at that time that it was the worst squad of players we'd had in a long time. Little did we know how bad it would get...

See, we have tons of players at a certain level nowadays: just below being really good, effective top-level players. They all gather at that point. I'm sure the ascendancy of the English game with all the imports has something to do with it, restricting chances to improve and gain experience. You know, Liverpool can send a whole internationally-recruited team of guys nobody has ever heard of to play in Dunmanway. The hoarding of players is a problem on two fronts - making it harder to break through at the top teams and lowering the standard elsewhere, so that good performances give a false impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back