Good man Stephen Ireland... (1 Viewer)

Come off it lads saying we want to see good football. Ireland have rarely played good football. And when we did we were anemic as fuck up front. We dont have the players to play good football and probably never will. Play to our strengths and win the games you are supposed to win.

I'm not demanding good football at all. We lump it long. That's the tactic it seems.
And I don't think we actually do play to our strengths. The only time we did against Cyprus we scored the second goal, Duff and Keane combining, Whelan involved too, I think. We have some good footballers. Let them play a little football.

I think it's a decent enough move.. Trap's stabilised the team, we're on course for our best qualifying finish in 4 campaigns and there's no point in changing manager every 2 years in the hope that somebody will get everything right at their first attempt. Remember who the other candidates were after the last tortuously drawn-out manager hunt? The only one I would've taken above Trap was Hodgson and he's no longer available. I'm optimistic that Trap will allow somewhat more aesthetically pleasing football (like we were playing at the start of the campaign when Steven Reid was available) once we've continued to grind out the results and brought some more midfield options into the squad.

Come off it lads saying we want to see good football. Ireland have rarely played good football. And when we did we were anemic as fuck up front. We dont have the players to play good football and probably never will. Play to our strengths and win the games you are supposed to win.

We had them when Jack Charlton was in charge.

We had them when Jack Charlton was in charge.

Post your best irish XI of living memory

mine

Given
Irwin Moran Dunne Phelan
McGrath
Townesend R. Keane Houghton Sheedy

Aldridge

this was actually not easy, honourable mentions for Kenny Cunningham, Packie Finnan and Quinner. Picking any creativity in midfield is fucking hard.

And the worst Kenny
Kelly Babb McShane Kilbane
Hunt Whelan Andrews McGeady
Folan Hunt
there probably is a thread about this somewhere

I'm just lazy

ireland2.jpg

I know how I'd be spending my international break weekends.

Seriously.

He might be an eejit (actually, there's no might about it), but the amount of shite the man gets for not wanting to play for a team he has absolutely no obligation to play for (unless the FAI start acting the prick and invoking the FIFA five day rule etc) is ridiculous. If he were to come back, grand, if not, also grand, although we'd be better off with him in the team. If media types would stop asking him about it and stop asking anyone connected to the Irish setup about him we wouldn't be hearing nonsense every five minutes about him.

well said. actually i like him, i respect his decision it's not a big deal and i don't understand why people keep going on (and on) about it.
good luck to him.

Your ideas of personal freedom have no place on this thread, nuke terrorist.

I think the Trap contract extension is a good move. Bit of stability.
Making us hard to beat is nothing to turn your nose up at.

I'll take The Gaffer over Phelan, Cunningham over Dunne, Duff over Sheedy, and Brazilian Quinn over Aldridge.

I thought Keane and Holland made a grand centre of midfield actually. Duff was a great player alright but Sheedy could put a ball on a the head of a moving pin from 70 yards between 84 and 92 he was unbelievable. I always thought The gaffer was a bit A.D.D when it came to defending.

either way Ireland wouldn't cut it, He's a luxury.

I have now decided that if Trappitoni doesn't bring Andy Reid in within the next 3 games, he should fuck right off.

If he doesn't we won't qualify for the world cup and if that happens there will be a degree of justice, we have played awful football. What's really horrible is the thought of qualifying and Reid being left at home.

The fucking Hunt brothers doing they're headless fucking chicken act at the big show while he watches on tele? it's enough to make me apply for an english passport.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...ndgame-as-trap-agrees-to-pay-cut-1897846.html
Trapattoni has also said that if Ireland do qualify for next summer's World Cup, Andy Reid and Lee Carsley will be included in the 40-man preliminary squad and he feels they must now prove they deserve to be included in the final party.
"I watched Reid play last week and thought he played well. We have the situation where (Darron) Gibson is playing well and (Keith) Andrews the same. I am looking at Reid -- he created a good goal last week."

Sounds like the door is still open for A.Reid, provides he keeps the good performances coming. Can't see it happening during the rest of the current qualifiers though, it'll probably be the next round of friendlies before he gets a look in.

If we don't qualify I'd let someone else have a go. Who? I'd have to think.

I don't know who would do a better job, but I don't think experience precludes technique.

You can't think of a single person who would be better than Trappatoni that would want the job, yet you'd fire him after one campaign for not qualifying for the World Cup with that squad?
Nonsense.

I thought Keane and Holland made a grand centre of midfield actually. Duff was a great player alright but Sheedy could put a ball on a the head of a moving pin from 70 yards between 84 and 92 he was unbelievable. I always thought The gaffer was a bit A.D.D when it came to defending.

either way Ireland wouldn't cut it, He's a luxury.

Anyone who would have Matt Holland before Mark Kinsella either has a bad memory or something else.
Holland was mostly anonymous for Ireland, other than popping up with 2 important goals.

Ireland is clearly a more talented player than either. He's also only 22 or whatever and has a long career ahead of him. He might spend the years 26 to 34 making amends in spectacular fashion for his stupidity. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back