Going Vegetarian (1 Viewer)

Bag'o'cans said:
i don't think it's cruel to pepper that diet with occasional free range meat.

Dude. Look at your language there. You could have said

i don't think it's cruel to eat a slaughtered poor innocent cutie pie animal occasionally because the animal got to run around a field for a while before it's life was cruelly taken by muderous fiends who only care about blah blah blah snore......

but you didn't. Maybe because you still feel a little guilty. I hope you do. I think anyone who eats meat with no guilt whatsoever might be a little disturbed. Or maybe I'm a dick who can't imagine what it's like to enjoy meat, guilt free.

Either way, I'm right in my own brainso if anyone docks me rep for this post I'll dock them right back.

my vegetarian diet makes me fart. a lot. I lurve chick-peas.

fart.jpg

aoifed said:
Dude. Look at your language there. You could have said

i don't think it's cruel to eat a slaughtered poor innocent cutie pie animal occasionally because the animal got to run around a field for a while before it's life was cruelly taken by muderous fiends who only care about blah blah blah snore......

but you didn't. Maybe because you still feel a little guilty. I hope you do. I think anyone who eats meat with no guilt whatsoever might be a little disturbed. Or maybe I'm a dick who can't imagine what it's like to enjoy meat, guilt free.

Either way, I'm right in my own brainso if anyone docks me rep for this post I'll dock them right back.
Eskimo clubs a baby seal to eat it, television watchers recoil in horror, the monster! what's he supposed to do, die?
I know this is different to my circumstances where i can now get my vegetarian alternatives shipped and flown in, but i think alot of people are very distanced from the cruel reality of nature these days, there's very little compassion in nature, yes we can show compassion and i'd favour this but i still don't think it's wrong or cruel to kill an animal to eat it.
Not to go all quotey, or hide behind somebody elses logic, but i think ill post it again.
"Would that you could live on the fragrance of the earth, and like an air plant be sustained by the light. But since you must kill to eat, and rob the newly born of its mother's milk to quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship, And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more innocent in man.
When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: "By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."

Bag'o'cans said:
Eskimo clubs a baby seal to eat it, television watchers recoil in horror, the monster! what's he supposed to do, die?
I know this is different to my circumstances where i can now get my vegetarian alternatives shipped and flown in, but i think alot of people are very distanced from the cruel reality of nature these days, there's very little compassion in nature, yes we can show compassion and i'd favour this but i still don't think it's wrong or cruel to kill an animal to eat it.
Not to go all quotey, or hide behind somebody elses logic, but i think ill post it again.
"Would that you could live on the fragrance of the earth, and like an air plant be sustained by the light. But since you must kill to eat, and rob the newly born of its mother's milk to quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship, And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more innocent in man.
When you kill a beast say to him in your heart: "By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be consumed. For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier hand. Your blood and my blood is naught but the sap that feeds the tree of heaven."

is that a bible quote?

edit: no it isn't it's Kahlil Gibran

broken arm said:
is that a bible quote?
The Prophet - Kahlil Gibran. Better than the bible, short to.
http://www.sibal.com/sandeep/texts/prophet.html

and now to lighten the mood a shit joke about meat(ish):

Pierre, a brave French fighter pilot, takes his girlfriend, Marie, out for a pleasant little picnic by the River Seine. It's a beautiful day and love is in the air. Marie leans over to Pierre and says, "Pierre, kiss me!" Pierre grabs a bottle of Merlot and splashes it on Marie's lips. "What are you doing, Pierre?" says the startled Marie. "I am Pierre, the fighter pilot! When I have red meat, I have red wine!" She smiles and they start kissing. Things began to heat up a little and Marie says, "Pierre, kiss me lower." Our hero tears her blouse open, grabs a bottle of Chardonnay and pours it on her breasts. "Pierre! What are you doing now?" asks the bewildered Marie. "I am Pierre, the fighter pilot! When I have white meat, I have white wine!" She giggles and they resume their passionate interlude, and things really steam up. Marie leans close to his ear and whispers, "Pierre, kiss me much lower!" Pierre rips off her underwear, grabs a bottle of Cognac and pours it in her lap. He then strikes a match and lights the cognac on fire. Marie shrieks and dives into the River Seine. Standing waist deep, Marie throws her arms intothe air and screams furiously, "PIERRE, WHAT IN THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?" Our 'hero' stands and says defiantly, "I am Pierre, the fighter pilot! If I go down, I go down in flames!"

aoifed said:
a slaughtered poor innocent cutie pie animal
Dude, have you ever got up close to a bullock? Or a chicken? Neither innocent nor cute after the first few weeks of their lives
Obviously a newly-hatched chicken is almost unbearably cutie pie, but they don't stay that way for long

egg_ said:
paul-, y'know, this just isn't true. There is, AFAIK, no evidence that a balanced vegetarian diet is any healthier than a balanced diet that includes meat

The only thing i said was that the rate of cancer,strokes,heart disease and obesity are far higher among meat eaters than vegetarians.Their have been tons of studies carried out that show this.

I dident mean for the "..." to imply all round general health,and infact im inclined to agree with what you said about balanced vegetarian diets and balanced diets that include meat.
Personally the health thing only played a small role in me not eating meat,it was much more of an ethical decision.

Bag'o'cans said:
It's a hard one to explain, there is remorse, but i don't think it's "cruel" to kill animals for food, it's just what happens, i know they don't need to be killed, there's alternatives, but i don't think it's actually "cruel" to kill an animal for food if you want to.
Harecoursing, cock fighting, bear dancing, ..... cruel.
Killing an animal for food,.......... unneccesary but not cruel.
I grew up surrounded by farms, as children we helped farmers, i'm in no way detached from the process, but i have no qualms about eating the meat of animals that had a good healthy safe life. As for the stories, cows aren't turned upside down and tortured etc in abattoirs, that doesn't make sense, they'd go mad.
I do try to add as much legumes etc to my diet, i don't eat sheep (hate the meat), i'm wary of pork (mostly battery farmed pumped full of antibiotics), i only eat free range eggs, and i try my best to eat free range chicken and beef. I eat fish i occasionally catch (the fish was about to eat another fish!) and i regularily collect mussels and seashells.
If it's had a good life and is killed ethically i don't feel any guilt.

Buying ethical/organic meat as some sort of excuse or reasoning is a fallacy. If your not vege/vegan then your still using animal products. Animal products are in everything. You have no idea where these products are sourced from and there is a very high probabilty that are not organic or ethical.

You know wht I think is great for larks and kudos to all the meat eaters that do it- when they're eating a burger or steak or whatever, they go "Mmmm, oh this is so delicious, oh this must be making you sick, mmm yummy" to any vegetarians in their company. Pretty sophisticated material! Never gets old! I just have no comeback to that sort of quick wit.

Bag'o'cans said:
i regularily collect mussels and seashells
Dude, this isn't really a good idea. Shellfish, especially on the west coast, can be toxic (certain species of algae (that they eat) make em toxic to humans, and cooking doesn't make them safe), it's much safer to eat commercially produced stuff that has been tested

egg_ said:
Dude, this isn't really a good idea. Shellfish, especially on the west coast, can be toxic (certain species of algae (that they eat) make em toxic to humans, and cooking doesn't make them safe), it's much safer to eat commercially produced stuff that has been tested

I think he means bearded clams and chocolate starfish.

egg_ said:
I learned my lesson a month ago, shellfish are evil. DEATH TO THE SHELLED ONES.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back