Going Vegetarian (1 Viewer)

paul- said:
As soon as i started finding out just the smallest amount of stuff about the cruelty of meat production and the dangers of excessive meat eating that was all it took.
The dangers of excessive meat eating? What?

Meat production doesn't have to be cruel - it usually is, but it doesn't have to be ... unless you consider actually killing an animal cruel, which you might do

Just in case someone is interested, we had a very big discussion on this before
http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=18112

The said:
It's the food chain lads...it's natural. Animals eat other animals and they don't look too guilty about it
What's natural and what's right are two entirely different things. Cf arguments about gayness being "not natural" (which it obviously is anyway, but that's another thing). Murder is natural, rape is natural, it's natural to cheat on partners, blah blah blah.

Having said that, I eat meat (although I try to eat more veg stuff than I used to)

Ciaran Mackle said:
Yeh I actually did that and their reaction was "its a naturla thing that humans have done since the beginning of time" so I said we werent savages and they were left with no reaction!
...as with me last post, try the "rape murder natural" line on them...of course, they might just think you were espousing rape and murder and have you locked up...but then you can demand veggie stuff from your cell with impunity anyway! Hurrah!

meatheads.jpg

If nobody ate meat these animals would pretty much no longer exist so I am doing my bit for keeping the animal kingdom thriving by eating meat :) I couldn't give a toss about anyone being vegetarian or not but I just like to know their reasoning behind it

The said:
If nobody ate meat these animals would pretty much no longer exist so I am doing my bit for keeping the animal kingdom thriving by eating meat :) I couldn't give a toss about anyone being vegetarian or not but I just like to know their reasoning behind it

hang on , wait until i stop laughing at your reasoning:)

Well once I can convince myself thats all that matters. Unless you plan on keeping sheep as pets they really would have no purpose. although.........

Always can i just point out before any more people dock my rep that the above and the above above that (!) are sarcasm..... really I'm a vegan

The said:
Well once I can convince myself thats all that matters. Unless you plan on keeping sheep as pets they really would have no purpose. although.........
And they'll have to fend for themselves and nobody'll feed them in the winter.

remember that sheep that wondered away from his flock and was found up a mountain years later and he had a mad giant afro cos nobody sheared him.... thats what all the sheep would look like . Mind you I would keep a sheep as a pet if he looked like that

egg_ said:
The dangers of excessive meat eating? What?

Meat production doesn't have to be cruel - it usually is, but it doesn't have to be ... unless you consider actually killing an animal cruel, which you might do

http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=18112
Meat=High levels of fat,protein,cholesteral=increased likelihood of cancer,strokes,heart disease,obesity...

Its far safer to get all the vitamins and minerals you need from alternative sources to meat.

And yeah,meat production doesent have to be cruel but its far more profitable when it is.

But then again it was the increased fat and protein content from meat that led to our ancestors increased brain size and leaving the trees.

But yes, in moderation.

great...but i dont think you eating a steak in 2005 is going to increase your brain size. You dont have to eat meat to get protein. The main thing here is you KNOW you dont have to eat meat, but you choose to. Thats fine. But dont bullshit and act like its not cruel to kill animals when you dont need to.

Denver Max said:
great...but i dont think you eating a steak in 2005 is going to increase your brain size. You dont have to eat meat to get protein. The main thing here is you KNOW you dont have to eat meat, but you choose to. Thats fine. But dont bullshit and act like its not cruel to kill animals when you dont need to.
It's a hard one to explain, there is remorse, but i don't think it's "cruel" to kill animals for food, it's just what happens, i know they don't need to be killed, there's alternatives, but i don't think it's actually "cruel" to kill an animal for food if you want to.
Harecoursing, cock fighting, bear dancing, ..... cruel.
Killing an animal for food,.......... unneccesary but not cruel.
I grew up surrounded by farms, as children we helped farmers, i'm in no way detached from the process, but i have no qualms about eating the meat of animals that had a good healthy safe life. As for the stories, cows aren't turned upside down and tortured etc in abattoirs, that doesn't make sense, they'd go mad.
I do try to add as much legumes etc to my diet, i don't eat sheep (hate the meat), i'm wary of pork (mostly battery farmed pumped full of antibiotics), i only eat free range eggs, and i try my best to eat free range chicken and beef. I eat fish i occasionally catch (the fish was about to eat another fish!) and i regularily collect mussels and seashells.
If it's had a good life and is killed ethically i don't feel any guilt.

If looked at from an american perspective, meat eating could be seen as disgusting, the logistics of cattle rearing in america and similar countries can be disturbing, factory farms on a huge scale, billions of animals killed a year, rife with disease and misery, they're an ecological nightmare, the wasteful use of grain to feed them, the pollution etc etc. Viewed on a large scale i think the problem there is population size and the unneccessary mechanical slaughter it needs.
I'd be in favour of a more vegetarian biased diet but i don't think it's cruel to pepper that diet with occasional free range meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back