Going to college in Dublin (1 Viewer)

Cheers everyone. Appreciate all the advice. To whoever suggested Trinity, I would consider it put out of my three A-Levels there is one subject (biology) which is literally destroying any hope of getting in there. I guess I have another while to decide what to do though. The housing thing scares me cause I don't wanna live with total strangers. Hoping some of my mates come to Dublin as well....

Ciaran Mackle said:
Over the last while I pretty much decided I was gonna definitley go to Dublin after I leave school to go to college. I dont go until 2007 but I decided I am gonna be applying soon so I would need to start finding the lowdown on everything as its a pretty big move.

Is accomadation as killer as people say it is down there in terms of rent? How easy is it to get a part time job such as shop work?

What are the three colleges I have considered like- Griffith, UCD, DCU? I shall be applying for Computer Science I reckon.

Any help is much appreciated.

IT's are quite good despite what people think. Apart from DIT in the city, the others are tough to get to if you want to live in and around the city. I studied in Tallaght IT for four years and found it perfectly fine plus the BBS i did is well recognised. I had friends who studied Computer Science and found it very hard in terms of work-load,etc.

Be careful about DCU, i'm studying a post-grad in IT there at the moment. I've only here for 8 mths but i will say a few things about the college:

- in terms of atmosphere(for a social life/bit of craic/fun) i find it extremely dead. i don't think it would be as enjoyable as say Trinity,UCD,etc.

- more importantly, the work-load is unreal. i've studied for degree, i know all about putting the work in, etc. this place is unreal though. it is well known for heavy work-loads. you will be required to complete a lot of assignments, not leaving you with much time for study/revision,etc. now i know, college ain't meant to be an easy life and you have to put the work in, but just bear it in mind.

having said all that shite, the computer applications department in DCU is excellent in terms of the qualification/capabilities you will have. it's well known for good IT courses 'n stuff.

also, DCU probably wins for the cheapest accommodation nearby, while UCD is pretty useless on that score. maybe not a big priority if you've only got a few lectures a week, but a big hassle if you're in school a lot.

i'm in UCD and hate the, eh, atmosphere, which might be less of a problem if it was in town and easy to escape. but i'm a cranky mature-ish student, which doesn't help.

pete said:
just sayin. the guy spends years learning enough CS stuff from TCD to get him his CS degree, yet he knows practically nothing of use.

Well, I didn't say that TCD is better, I just pointed out that different places teach the subject in different ways and it's worth thinking about what suits you best. You can scrape through most degrees without knowing much.

Lets make ridiculous generalisations about learning, based on our own narrow experiences, cos that's what this thread is about. Yes.

youngones_2.jpg

Ciaran - don't worry too much about the housing thing yet, concentrate on your exams and getting good results. You'll have no housing worries if you fail, put it that way. And if you hang around thumped long enough I bet you'll end up moving in with someone you already know. So don't stress about it.

muffin said:
i liked maynooth and my degree but most of the people were spas...i maybe genuinely like 10 people from the 3 years i was there..and i agree with kirstie that it can be quite clausterphobic..its nigh on impossible to get through a day with meetin people you know and sometimes its nice to be invisible..

hmm that kind of backfired.i have to disagree with ya in that most people i met weren't spas.met some of my best friends there.and i don't think it's a bad thing that if you meet someone you get on with chances are you'll see them in the next day or two,especially if you don'y know many people when you arrive in first year,which won't be the case in trinity or ucd.that said it's not that small, nearly 6000 students, which is a lot bigger than griffith, ncad, dun laoghaire etc

see i hated that you always met someone who you knew..not always but sometimes its nice to just be on yr own and not have some spa rattling on bout how many yokes they did last night...weirdly enough me and the boy were only having this conversation the other day..he started 2 years after me and felt pretty much the same vibe with the people and stuff...i just found that there was a lot more of an 'im deadly, i take loads of drugs' attitude than id come across in other colleges and it wrecked my head for 3 years..

that said, the sciencey people and the omega crew always seemed lovely enough..

muffin said:
see i hated that you always met someone who you knew..not always but sometimes its nice to just be on yr own and not have some spa rattling on bout how many yokes they did last night...weirdly enough me and the boy were only having this conversation the other day..he started 2 years after me and felt pretty much the same vibe with the people and stuff...i just found that there was a lot more of an 'im deadly, i take loads of drugs' attitude than id come across in other colleges and it wrecked my head for 3 years..

that said, the sciencey people and the omega crew always seemed lovely enough..

yea there was elements of that but you'd get it twice as bad in, say trinners.and again about 90% of the people i met were super nice.never saw a fight there, the nights out were always good and if you didn't feel like talkin bollocks to bigmouths you just steer clear of the library/canteen and go somewhere quiter.
i literally met dozens of people i'm still in touch with 3 years on.were you in my year or when were you there again?

hermie said:
i literally met dozens of people i'm still in touch with 3 years on.were you in my year or when were you there again?

i was there 2000-2003..and theres about 5 people im still mates with and maybe another 5 who i wouldnt ignore in the street..i guess im just not in to that mass organised craziness that goes on in maynooth..its all a bit too 'oh im so wacky' for my liking..i really liked my course but it was more the people i didnt like..and to be fair if yr tryin to get work done you shouldnt have to avoid the library just to avoid complete tools.. but as has been said college is such a personal thing that to each his own etc etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back