Going to college in Dublin (1 Viewer)

DuncheeKnifed said:
DCU is fuckin' miles away but UCD is only a 15 min. cycle from the city centre.

nahhh they're both about the same distance from o'connell bridge

kirstie said:
why don't you knock yourself out and apply for Trinity? DCU and UCD are both miles out in the suburbs and Trinity (or the DIT) is smack bang in the middle of town. Going to college in town is ace, and try for a university or an IT over Griffith college for sure. Dare I say it, Griffith College is a bit of a booby prize of a place to go.

Good advice there.

I'm out of college almost ten years so i haven't a clue about anything.

My brother-in-law is in final year in DCU and the social life has picked up an awful lot since my wife was there ten years ago. It's probably not the best for gigs though.

Accommodation might be your biggest problem because of the cost. try and live with a few people, even if they turn out to be weirdos as it might be a bit lonely if you live on your own in a new city; at least until everyone realises how cool you are.

Computers are fun and all, but i can't see them catching on. Have you considered an apprenticeship in book-binding?

pete said:
just sayin. the guy spends years learning enough CS stuff from TCD to get him his CS degree, yet he knows practically nothing of use.

It might seem that way but ask him about Italian restuarants and he'll blow your mind.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Have you considered an apprenticeship in book-binding?

hehe. my ma studied book-binding in trinity in the seventies. luckily she's had husbands to live off ever since.

boigaz said:
don't know about the other two but dcu has a great rep in the technical depts. probably in others two. i got an m.eng out of there and it's really stood to me. i didn't have much fun there though. totally stiff and work oriented (boo). others i met had a good time on their undergrads though so who knows(?)

I did my undergrad out in DCU and then in a fit of fucking madness signed up for a phd. When I started back in the 90s it was full of scruffy nerds, bogmen (like myself) and real 'dub' dubs. Over the years the afluene level of the student population definitely seemed to increase, maybe its just the way the country in general was going.
Anyway DCU is good education wise, location is shite, and ocasionally dangerous (although drumcondra and phibsborogh are real student/flatland places), but if your willing to make your own fun its ok. Although, say trinity or DIT, are attractive as there in town, you stand the same chances of ending up in a class full of shitheads anywhere you go.
I hope this makes sense I have a cold comimg on!!

i reckon the troubles will resume by 2007 so this all academic. The school of hard knocks (caused by bombs) is where you'll graduate from, with a masters in bloodshed.

go to maynooth.for real,it's deadly.it's only 2quid and 40 mins on the train to dublin but a world of difference.good mix on the city/bogger ratio, not too big not too small.i did a post-grad in computer science there and i loved it.also rent is cheaper and you need less points to get in!but don't just take my word for it, more reputable thumpders like muffin or ernesto will back me up.guys?

hermie said:
go to maynooth.for real,it's deadly.it's only 2quid and 40 mins on the train to dublin but a world of difference.good mix on the city/bogger ratio, not too big not too small.i did a post-grad in computer science there and i loved it.also rent is cheaper and you need less points to get in!but don't just take my word for it, more reputable thumpders like muffin or ernesto will back me up.guys?

Maynooth can be a lot of fun as an undergraduate. I was there for four years in total (3 as an undergraduate, 1 as a post-grad). Computer Science department is pretty good too.

Brian Conniffe said:
maynooth was great, i highly recommend it. i was there for four years, and though that was definately enough, i loved it and had a great time for the most part.

oh yea forgot about you.yea, i did arts there as my undergrad which was mental.the computer science dept. is pretty good.check out www.minds.nuim.ie

i liked maynooth and my degree but most of the people were spas...i maybe genuinely like 10 people from the 3 years i was there..and i agree with kirstie that it can be quite clausterphobic..its nigh on impossible to get through a day with meetin people you know and sometimes its nice to be invisible..

that said i was in ucd forst and i fuckin hated that..i guess its really just up to yrself what kinda college yr lookin for and what you wanna get out of it..plus dont forget trinity has a minimum requirement in honours maths which maynooth or dcu dont have..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back