going back to uni (3 Viewers)

What sort of jobs can you get with a law degree besides the obvious solicitor/barrister? Is there really more options? I find law very interesting but i don't know about practicing criminal/property law...

What sort of jobs can you get with a law degree besides the obvious solicitor/barrister? Is there really more options? I find law very interesting but i don't know about practicing criminal/property law...
I picture getting some cushy government number in the Equality Tribunal or something along those lines. There's loads of jobs you can get with a law degree. I wouldn't want to be a solicitor.

i graduated last summer. started volunteering in the Law Centre here, then got a part time job from that working as a paralegal in the immigration & asylum unit. then got another part time job through that, as an adviser in the Housing Rights Service. I could train and do full time/professional stuff in either i guess, or get into other voluntary sector work. but i'm goin to go do a masters in october instead.

anyway, the answer is yes. i can't actually qualify as a lawyer, didn't do the requisite modules in my degree. but the actual law degree teaches you fuck all about being a practicing lawyer, you have to go train for that afterwards. what you learn is how law works, how to think in legal terms, legal reasoning, stuff like that. in retrospect, it's more of a skill that you can develop and then apply than most people probably realise.

Seriously. Will someone write this thing for me? I've a shiney crispy fiver and a box of smokes here for whoever successfully removes this thorn from my side.

A litre of coffee, a bag of pistachios, half a giant bag of mixed nuts and raisins, 20 fags a few pints of water in, and I've only finished one of my papers.

I have til 5pm tomorrow to finish my thesis that All Coppers are not, in fact Bastards and explain why, and recommend how to make em even less bastardish.

I haven't even finished the reading for it.

Does anyone care? Oh internet, if I can't rely on you, who can I rely on*?

Sob sob sob sob poor me first world problems

*(oh shit helped me today, but apart from him).

A litre of coffee, a bag of pistachios, half a giant bag of mixed nuts and raisins, 20 fags a few pints of water in, and I've only finished one of my papers.

I have til 5pm tomorrow to finish my thesis that All Coppers are not, in fact Bastards and explain why, and recommend how to make em even less bastardish.

I haven't even finished the reading for it.

Does anyone care? Oh internet, if I can't rely on you, who can I rely on*?

Sob sob sob sob poor me first world problems

*(oh shit helped me today, but apart from him).
i know a few sound cops if you want to go down to the practical demonstration route?
honestly,
theyll let you smear poo on them and theyll have a bit of banter about it with you, thus all coppers are not bastards.

What's the story with money? The girlfriend is a bit of an oracle when it comes to free money - she said you need to be on the dole for a year to get the full back to education money, but you do get a mature student grant - anyone know the full story?

You need to be 23 on the first of January of the year of the course starting for the mature student grant. This is means tested and goes on your previous years earnings not an average of a few years preceding.

For the back to education allowance you need to be one in receipt of the following

• Unemployment Assistance
  • Unemployment Benefit
  • Farm Assist
  • One-Parent Family Payment
  • Deserted Wife's Allowance
  • Deserted Wife's Benefit
  • Widows/Widowers Non-Contributory Pension
  • Widows/Widowers Contributory Pension
  • Prisoners Wife's Allowance
  • Disability Allowance
  • Blind Pension
  • Invalidity Pension
  • Unemployability Supplement (in cases here the award of Unemployability Supplement is based on a Life Disablement Pension)
  • Carer's Allowance (after ceasing caring responsibilities)
  • Disability Benefit (at least 3 years or more)
The best thing is to contact your local county council or city council depending on where you live and they will answer questions directly. I found them useless but they are there to answer your questions altough they dont seem to want to. Another place I found helpful for this stuff is citizens advice if you want to give them a ring.

I went back to college as a mature student and it is hard but totally worth it!!! Totally different way of life and if you hate your job as I read about people in other thread its probably the best solution. Change it to something you do like, its worth the wait and if you're enjoying it it wont seem long at all.

http://www.clare.ie/HEG/HEG_Scheme.html#a2

If that doesnt work click on appendix II to jump directly to it. It works out about 345euro for the nine months you're in college. Pays the rent and bills anyways but perhaps not in Dublin.

Thats the rate I go on. It depends on if you get the full grant or not. I ended up having to pay the fees on my postgrad but thats not always the case for everyone.

Its not much. Anyone who is getting enough money out of grants to survive back in College is on the back to education allowance also. A friend of mine quit work went on an access course because she wanted to go back to college. She was told since it was 7 years since she left a course as an undergrad that she didnt finish that she'd be able to keep her back to education allowance, not pay fees and would get the mature student grant, shes 26.

Turns out at the last minute they tell her she does have to pay the fees. I would research everything if you have left college early and are going back they totally screw you if they can at all. Also she had nothing in writing so had to pay it. I think she got it waivered for a year or two to give her time to pay it back. But I remember she tried everything with the college but they were adament she had to pay the first two year fees even though the first time around it was a cert and this time it was a straight degree.

i get nowt from the government but a few of my classmates (over 23) quit their jobs 6 months prior to the start of the course and got back to education allowance. i think you have to be going back to study something at a higher level. like they wont give you dough if you have a degree and are going back for a cert in something.
anyways, guy in my class djs and gets paid in cash and draws dole anyway so he is actually well paid to go back to college.. while i cant even afford a packet of cripps.
load of gay. best thing to do is save up a few grand ad live of that or something

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back