Gig of the Year - 2008? (4 Viewers)

it's been a good year...

139264800_8f18dce89c.jpg

I love you cassie! (sorry, sorry)

If years of crack addiction and poetry gets you a shicksa babe like Cassie then pass me the pipe.

The Heads (in Bristol)
Matmos (Andrew's Lane)
Flower-Corsano Duo (Boom Boom Room)
Black Mountain (Berlin)
Nurse With Wound (Andrew's Lane)
Stereolab (Dublin/Belfast)*
The Ex (Whelan's)

* Probably

MBV at Electric Picnic was amazing. As were Grinder man. They were both well up there with me.

Second that. Also Gutter Twins in the Ambassador and Tortoise at the Analogue 'festival' during the 'summer'. Calexico at Tripod 2 months back were great too.

Tom Waits, Paris
MBV, Glasgow
Ween, Village
Martin Hayes / Denis Cahill, Clare
The Black Dog, Glasto
A wild session in the Crosses of Annagh pub during Willy Clancy.

Animal Collective in Whelans
Low at Andews Lane Theatre
Jape and co. in Vicar St
Neil Young, Grinderman and MBV at Roskilde
Beach House a couple of weeks ago is edging in there too but that's probably just cause it's the most recent one I enjoyed

The Ex in Whelans. First time i saw them - everyone kept telling me how good they were live but that really was something else.
Oh and an honorable mention to whoever was playing at Sibin Festival in May when i was coming up on ridiculously good MDMA - at the time i clearly remember thinking "this is the best music i've ever heard in my life".....:)

DCB will be callin round yer house.....

....while me and Cass will be out painting the Jewish part of town Silver....

okay well maybe we'll wrk out a rota system. Bags saturday and thursdays.

just for the hell of it.....

sj2.jpg

to think I stood a mere 2 feet from her.......

it was definitely the year of Cassie Berman

oh that's a wonderful photo just as i remember her. sigh...

how'd i forget Tom Waits. That was top 3, despite some that agro ball bag that put a dampner on it for me. (Figuratively speaking, not literally of course).

I'm hoping for a memory that we might share...Polvo at Primavera Sound.

Also Shipping News, Mission of Burma, Boris, and most shockingly Bob Mould at said same festival.

Harvey Milk, Harmonia and some insane Japanese hardcore duo that were on the first night at Supersonic.

That Jackie O Motherfucker gig about a month back with Valet in support.

Animal Collective in Whelans.

Awesome Color in Whelans were great fun too.

out of interest, why the change in focus to old stuff? Is it cos you don't think theres much new stuff thats any use, or is it more a case of simply getting around to getting stuff you've been meaning to for a while?

the focus on old stuff has been coming for a while - since 2000. Last two years have exploded. In the mid 1990s I started getting into soul, funk and lounge in a big way only to ease off for a while. In the last couple of years they started getting aired again along with more purchases of the same ilk. Throw in an increasing desire to know more about 60s psych warriors - who influenced lots of the indie stuff I listened to - which was lead to a kinda marginalising of newer records.

This year I cut down on buying six music magazines a month to three, probably go to two next year. That's meant I'm getting more selective about contemporary material. And more cynical of hype.

The explosion in the reissues market has also influenced me i.e. more stuff to buy.

Having said all that, things could change next year - that's the unpredictable beauty of music.

it's a toss up between the dead c and mbv for me. both incredible in different ways

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back