Garden State? (1 Viewer)

Orion

Anybody else find themselves caught in long meditations aftewr watching Garden State yet? I've rarely seen a movie that made me think like that before. Not since 'Eternal Sunshine..' and 'Donnie Darko'. If you haven't seen it yet its to be recommended. Great fucking stuff..

ya, it made me think a lot alright, til I got to the pub ten minutes later, then I stopped thinking. but no, I love that film. Didn't like Eternal Sunshine, only wathced the first half hour, couldn't take any more than that

This (GS) along with Eternal Sunshine and Punch Drunk Love is one of my fav movies.Great soundtrack too I might add.

Orion said:
Anybody else find themselves caught in long meditations aftewr watching Garden State yet? I've rarely seen a movie that made me think like that before. Not since 'Eternal Sunshine..' and 'Donnie Darko'. If you haven't seen it yet its to be recommended. Great fucking stuff..

Yeah, excellent soundtrack. I was delighted to hear 'Such Great Heights' by The Postal Service at one stage as well. Deadly stuff.

zub said:
I thought Garden State was awful. Eternal Sunshine is one of my favourite movies ever though.

Yeah I couldnt believe how crap it was after all the raving i heard.
I really wanted to puke on natalie portmans head. If I ever met a girl like that I'd just want to smush her.
(and i am not an agressive person)

carcass said:
Yeah I couldnt believe how crap it was after all the raving i heard.
I really wanted to puke on natalie portmans head. If I ever met a girl like that I'd just want to smush her.
(and i am not an agressive person)
Whatever you do, don't go to the new Star Wars. You think she's bad in Garden State? She really outdoes hereself in ROTS.

Surely the most overrated "actress" of recent years? An Oscar nom and a Golden Globe for what? Looking snivelly and pathetic?

I thought Garden State was on a par with a very good TV movie. Though with a better soundtrack than most TV movies.

Wavioli said:
i have to admit i went a bit wibbly for her in garden state. I have a thing for 'kooky' girls. I know, Im a sap.

Damn right! She's gorgeous! I'd love a girlfriend like that. Actually...

...I'd just love a girlfriend....

...or even just a friend. sniff sniff

Seriously though, it's a good film. Not great though, coz the ending lets it down a bit. I found that, like American Beauty or Eternal Sunshine, it creates a very intense mood which although melancholy is kind of uplifting.

i'm not a fan of the 'written by, directed by and starring' Joe Ego movies...soundtrack was great though - glad to see the Shins getting the acknowledgement they deserve because of it.

Lord Damian said:
i'm not a fan of the 'written by, directed by and starring' Joe Ego movies...soundtrack was great though - glad to see the Shins getting the acknowledgement they deserve because of it.

Yeah sometimes them films can be a bit naff but I didn't really get the impression it was a vehicle for his ego, from an acting perspective anyway. What duff 'written by, directed by and starring' films are there? I know I've seen some but just can't remember them!

chutneyfarmer said:
Yeah sometimes them films can be a bit naff but I didn't really get the impression it was a vehicle for his ego, from an acting perspective anyway. What duff 'written by, directed by and starring' films are there? I know I've seen some but just can't remember them!
i can't really remember either - i think i tend to forget them rather quickly...

Lord Damian said:
i can't really remember either - i think i tend to forget them rather quickly...

Do you mean in general? Or wha? Million Dollar Baby was one. It was a fucking two-hour Hallmark card commercial.

It was based on a short story which was, apparently, based on 'real life', but I think it was adapted for the screen by Eastwood.

He directs and stars, and makes sure the cameras get lots of close-ups of his real tears, though this is probably so viewers can't see how fast his wanking arm is moving.

Anybody read the novel of the same name by Rick Moody? It's a pretty enjoyable story about depression, taking drugs, delaying the onset of adulthood and playing in crappy bands that are obviously going nowhere. Film was good too.

azezelo said:
Anybody read the novel of the same name by Rick Moody? It's a pretty enjoyable story about depression, taking drugs, delaying the onset of adulthood and playing in crappy bands that are obviously going nowhere. Film was good too.

The same name as what? Million Dollar Baby?? Must check it out. That description sounds like that comic Snakepit too. A great read!

chutneyfarmer said:
The same name as what? Million Dollar Baby?? Must check it out. That description sounds like that comic Snakepit too. A great read!
Apologies for the lack of clarity there - novel is called Garden State

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back