Garden State? (1 Viewer)

life aquatic is out on dvd, shite movie. wes anderson is vastly overrated.
got garden state about 9 months ago for a tenner.

i thought punch drunk love was amazing in some parts and intolerable in others, i just dont think it had the charm or whimsical abstractness it was aiming for (yeah, i just made that last part up)

watched the truman show the other day and i think that along with american beauty are two movies from the last decade that are timeless. the truman show, considering it was made in '98 is fucking incredible. so ahead of its time yet has all the hallmarks of a classic.

i loved garden state cause of the characters. natalie portman was amazing in the film simply because her role, along with the role in closer are the most un-natalie portman roles she could possibly play.

this film is utter tripe
natalie portman's character is more annoying than a painful zit on your lips which you cannot pop that makes it hurt to smile, though there is no danger of that happening for the duration of this film.
the jokes are incredibly strained and poorly timed. the script sucks and the plot is painfully contrived. and the writer/director/star is clearly engaged in the most self-indulgent 90 minute wank in the history of humanity.
"good luck exploring the abyss" - fuck off.

On a semi related topic i just saw Shopgirl last night and must saw I enjoyed it a lot, Portman could learn a thing or two from Jason Schwrzman when it comes to playing kooky.

That said i enjoyed Garden State there were some very cool moments and I did laugh out loud once or twice. I wasn't even that offended by the ending and I usually hate anything with a happy ending.

I was going to post something about love winning through but feared it may lead to me getting 'happy slapped' by Damon Kind and his posse next time I was in town :eek: :eek: :eek:

evil bandit said:
On a semi related topic i just saw Shopgirl last night and must saw I enjoyed it a lot, Portman could learn a thing or two from Jason Schwrzman when it comes to playing kooky.

That said i enjoyed Garden State there were some very cool moments and I did laugh out loud once or twice. I wasn't even that offended by the ending and I usually hate anything with a happy ending.

I was going to post something about love winning through but feared it may lead to me getting 'happy slapped' by Damon Kind and his posse next time I was in town :eek: :eek: :eek:

You'd be more likely to get "Seagulled"

ICUH8N said:
You'd be more likely to get "Seagulled"

:D vile!

Natalie Portman is beautiful, it's true, however her character in Garden State was painful to watch and caused me and him indoors to fight about it. I wanted to turn it off, he in the other hand wanted me to leave the room while he sat there trouserless.

Only good thing about it was the soundtrack.

I :heart: huckabees = terrible muck.

mr pharmacist said:
watched the truman show the other day and i think that along with american beauty are two movies from the last decade that are timeless. the truman show, considering it was made in '98 is fucking incredible. so ahead of its time yet has all the hallmarks of a classic.
TRUMAN YES... IT'S COOL.

AMERICAN BEAUTY???!!??? CAN FUCK OFF. IT'S LIKE A STUDENT FILM. SHITE!
OH! SECRET GOVERNMENT WEED... BOLLOX. I'D LIKE TO SMOTHER THAT FILM IN A PRETTY PLASTIC BAG AND BEAT SPACEY'S GAY HEAD IN WITH IT. UTTER RUBBISH. LIKE 'THE ARISTCRATS', LIKE 'ROCKY V', LIKE WILL AND GRACE.

THERE'S A REASON YOU CAN BUY THE 'COLLECTORS EDITION' FOR 5 QUID IN RATHMINES.

BIG STEAMING SHIT CHEEKS

ALLAHQUAANNDO!!!

TRUMAN SHOW IS DEADLY... IN YOUR FACE BIG BROTHER

oh shit said:
and the writer/director/star is clearly engaged in the most self-indulgent 90 minute wank in the history of humanity.
brown%20bunny.jpg

chutneyfarmer said:
that film is too shite for words. must be the biggest budget ever that someone had to spend on a blowjob.

one of the worst pieces of pretentious self-obsessed shit ever. i have no respect or regard for gallo after seeing this.

Osama Van Halen said:
AMERICAN BEAUTY???!!???

had potential to be a fucking great film, but it was almost ruined by the haymaker punch method of getting its points across. just a little subtlety would have made it. "Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world I feel like I can't take it, like my heart's going to cave in." fuck that. still, it wasn't terrible.

truman show was deadly.

this film is utter tripe
natalie portman's character is more annoying than a painful zit on your lips which you cannot pop that makes it hurt to smile, though there is no danger of that happening for the duration of this film.
the jokes are incredibly strained and poorly timed. the script sucks and the plot is painfully contrived. and the writer/director/star is clearly engaged in the most self-indulgent 90 minute wank in the history of humanity.
"good luck exploring the abyss" - fuck off.

ha ha ha ha

I just watched this recently and thought I was the only one... Why did Natalie Portman SHOUT all her lines, she was insanely irritating and quite obvioiusly a cartoon of a "kooky girl" that the writer wished exsisted... This happens a lot, Kate Winslet in Eternal Sunshine, but I think Kate pulls it off by being very fucking good, Natalie did not...

I thought it did the Cameroon Crowe trick of rather then having "emotional moments" where the story builds to a crescendo, it just uses deadly music... you don't give a shit about the characters or lack of plot but here's Iron and Wine so you feel emotional anyhow... it did this far too many times

I thought the first half hour was great, but once is settled down it was a pale, pale, rip off on Say Anything with a sprinking of Wes Anderson whimsy and a Pitchfork soundtrack too boot.

Shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back