Game Of Thrones Season 5 (2 Viewers)

Worst. Episode. Ever

-How did the Sons of the Harpy completely overrun Dany's army? They're supposed to be a guerilla group. And Drogon shows up just in time to save the day? So fucking stupid. Not how it happens in the books at all.

-CGI was some of the worst I've seen. I think the Never Ending Story had better SFX

-Killing Shireen, I don't care if it's coming in the books (hasn't happened yet but apparently it's coming) was shit.

-That little raid by Ramsay. He managed to get all their stores of food without anybody noticing? Shit and lazy.

-Davos going back to Jon in the books, I may as well say at this stage, he goes Wymen Manderly and re-introducing Rickon into the plot.

-Ser Meryn adding to the growing number of pantomime villains in the show. Shit

-Dorne. Well, as ever, shit.

-That little raid by Ramsay. He managed to get all their stores of food without anybody noticing? Shit and lazy.
well he burned the stores, he didn't steal them

the whole thing was still pretty unlikely though...fires springing up right in the middle of the camp, highly flammable horses...

Screenshot 2015-06-09 10.46.03.png

DROP AND ROLL

should have set up some security checkpoints going in to the stadium.

aww
cBoIBpl.jpg

well he burned the stores, he didn't steal them
Sorry I meant get to. I didn't think he stole them. Put more eloquently than me:
First, I know I’m a broken record on the subject of Ramsay Snow/Bolton, but why is it that every single storyline connected to him has to immediately become stupid? His dad, Roose, is an accomplished military commander, but it’s untrained, never-been-to-war-in-his-life Ramsay who leads the brilliant expedition in which a couple dozen men cripple an army of thousands.

“Twenty men rode into our camp without a single guard sounding the alarm?” Stannis asks, speaking on behalf of every single viewer of this latest ridiculous Ramsayism. Ser Davos offers the nonsense reply (which has been tediously set up in previous episodes by several Ramsay references to “we Northerners”), “The Northerners know more about their land than we ever will.” Such as how to ride horses into a guarded military camp, set dozens of fires, and leave before anyone notices? Utterly, utterly lame.
‘Game of Thrones’ Season Five, Episode Nine Roundtable: ‘The Dance of Dragons’ - The Atlantic

yeah, fuck ramsay

i hope something incredibly bad happens to him

he'll probably just have a quick sword death though

It's a fucking fantasy show with dragons. The premise alone is stupid, get over it!

Deadly episode. CGI was grand.
Bullshit. The show has been praised massively for being meticulously realistic, yes realistic, within the constraints of the world it's created. The last couple of episodes have let this good work slide. Lazy plotting, deus ex machina were conspicuous by their absence in the earlier seasons. Seemingly the less they can rely on the books the more the showrunners struggle. It's a testament to GRRM who doesn't always get it right but invests his characters and stories with enough sense to be rigorously compelling.

Shite episode. Shite CGI

-CGI was some of the worst I've seen. I think the Never Ending Story had better SFX
I watched the never ending story last week, and you are very wrong

-Killing Shireen, I don't care if it's coming in the books (hasn't happened yet but apparently it's coming) was shit.
Leaving the room wasn't enough for me on this, I actually had to go outside and sit on the front step and sob. I've gotten misty eyed at movies in the past when I've been sick (the dead wife bit in Up when I had swine flu, for example), but never ever lost my shit like that before. So astounded at my own reaction (and still upset about the whole thing, uurgh) that I'm unable to judge the rest of the episode at all

(the effect was probably exacerbated by the fact that my older daughter is around the same age)

‘Game of Thrones’ Season 5, Episode 9 Recap: ‘The Dance of Dragons’ «

I suppose the thinking went something like this: If we are going to have a father burn his only child to death, it should happen early in the episode, with enough time remaining for a dragon to swoop from the sky like a heavenly flamethrower. That way it can burn away not just a legion of stabby terrorists but also the persistent stink of that first awful conflagration. A cleansing fire....

But I can’t get the acrid fumes of what happened to Shireen out of my throat so easily and, I would argue, neither should you. Look, I make no grand ultimatums here. I am drawing no lines in the sand, Ellaria or otherwise. I’m a dedicated watcher of the Thrones and that is not going to change. (Though if Olly the squire shivs Jon Snow next week in true Kenard/Omar fashion, I reserve the right to reconsider.) What happened in the frozen camp outside of Winterfell deserves a thorough examination, however. And it’s hard to find anything about it that’s particularly worthy.
Before you stop me if you’ve heard this one before, let me stop you first: Despite what many of Game of Thrones’s legions of devotees like to argue, it is not, in fact, a “medieval story.” It is not received wisdom from another age. Though it has the trappings of an earlier Earth, it is actually a contemporary story and should be considered as one. And as such, I fail to see what the horrific immolation of a teenage girl added to the narrative in any way, shape, or form. What I do understand is what it took away: a pleasant performer in Kerry Ingram, any whiff of empathy or support for Stannis, and Game of Thrones’s torrid streak of 13 and a half days without a violence-toward-girls incident. For God’s sake — not you, Lord of Light, you smug asshole — even Iphigenia’s fate remained unclear! Terrible things can and should happen on Game of Thrones, just as they should in all adult drama. But the more Benioff and Weiss hammer the same chords, the less they sound like musicians and the more they remind me of Cousin Orson, another one of their inventions who, in retrospect, seems like one more clever, meta way to shrug off criticism.

Burning girls alive, raping them, or, like Meryn Trant in the Braavosi whorehouse, buying their bodies like ground meat in a butcher shop, all to demonstrate the evil that men do, seems like a lot of repetitive effort to reinforce an obvious, ugly point. It’s been 49 hours now. I think everyone gets the picture. We can laugh it off or make excuses or point and squee at the giants, but this stuff adds up. It’s bad for the soul. It hardens the heart. What does it say about Game of Thrones that it can make time for the touching reunion between a blonde queen and a CGI dragon but it can’t find a way to illustrate basic human-to-human love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back