fundit, infographic, well? (1 Viewer)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread which I felt significant. We're in the middle of a fucking recession and who has money these days? Hence a site like fundit definitely has its place IMO

This is a big thing for me, in other times my opinion on the matter would have probably been, "oh you want to make a record, good for you, get a job and save up and do it, best of luck." But there's not a whole lot of jobs around, unless you work in IT, based on the constant stream of mails I get from recruitment agencies there seems to be fuckloads of them so if you can get people to pony up dough then fair enough.

I still wouldn't donate to one. More significantly I wouldn't set one up, because I'd feel like a scrounging asshole, but if someone less uptight than me is able to do it without feeling like a scrounging asshole then "good for you ... best of luck." And it doesn't really impact much on me if people get to make their shit/awesome/sort of okay record and it's not really my business in how they get the cash to do it unless they're breaking into my house and stealing my stuff so that it gets done. I guess what I'm saying is that fundi's are kind of like heroin, not for me but if you want to do it and aren't fucking my shit up in doing so then I'm mostly unconcerned.

On a wider and more wanky point related to the creation of art, or music as that's what we're mostly discussing here really, I think that for the most part the art exists mostly in the head of the person creating it, that and the fingers which end up with the happy fuckups you end up deciding sound good. Recording it, or writing it, or even playing it is just a means of arranging something that for the most part is already there. I get really excited by the songs I have hanging around my head sometimes that I'll try to record some day maybe, but the prospect of the actual banal toil of recording the fuckers crushes my spirit on a near daily basis.

I like the whole fundit idea. mainly because no one I know has tried to release anything through it and i've never felt obligated to shell out for anything on it.

I don't really buy the argument that if a band doesn't pay for the recording out of their own pocket then their album shouldn't see the light of day. By that logic, we shouldn't buy anything brought out by a record label. All the bands are doing here is cutting out the middle man.

And being honest, I'd rather see patronage of this kind than say, Humanzi getting a government grant to record their new album in New York. At least, we have a choice about whether we want to fund individual projects.

And being honest, I'd rather see patronage of this kind than say, Humanzi getting a government grant to record their new album in New York. At least, we have a choice about whether we want to fund individual projects.

I'd launch reFundIt to get that money back if it were ever to happen.

The arguments against fund-it remind me of the time my girlfriend's hippy mate was flogging handmade jewellery for another mate. This stuff was basically necklaces made of seashells and tinfoil on strands of wool. Hippy mate was grievously offended that my missus wouldn't part with her cash for this tawdry crap. This same hippy mate would regularly tap us all to fund her trips to Japan, China, Africa..''on behalf of poor children, blind animals, world peace, etc'.

I have given money to a few fund-it things, a few books, short films, records, but always got something in return, so I didn't feel like I was being had or guilted into doing anything I didn't want to.

So basically, if the project is appealing to me , I get something for my contribution and in the end someone gets to produce a good thing..then I have no problem with it.

The one thing that bugs me is that all too often the minimum donation 'reward' states that all you get in return is the warm feeling of helping someone out

fuck that, I'd sooner wear some crude home made hippy jewellery

The things a person could do if they could devote themselves full-time to their art / rock'n'roll are precluded by a day-job. Usually (in the good old days) ambitious work was funded by greedy middlemen and the cost of the work kept the artist in debt until the next record which, naturally must be as expensive as the last or moreso.

On top of this what the bands usually live off (at first) is the sale of their publishing rights and an advance payment on album sales. Remember also that the copyright of the recording remains with the middleman regardless. Does this not automatically put the crowdfunding model into proper perspective?

In my experience work that's done on a shoestring budget sounds like it - for better or worse. There are results that cannot be gotten without proper money or some very time-generous experts.

Releasing on multiple formats or anything a bit fancy is difficult at best

Pros: Possibility of gigs and merch paying bills instead of fronting new work (thereby leaving artist penniless)
Vs.
Pros :No need to sell publishing; ownership of recording; no advance to pay back

Cons: Fuck the begrudgers!

This same hippy mate would regularly tap us all to fund her trips to Japan, China, Africa..''on behalf of poor children, blind animals, world peace, etc'.

Those people make me fucking sick. A mate recently was raising money to go to Africa sounds like the same bollox right, except he's going to build houses for people to live in. That's worth while work fuck it I'd chip in for that. A house is for life not just the duration of a white boys visit.

It's bullshit like "I need a grand to go to India to go to work with kids for two weeks and make a difference in the world so come to my over priced table quiz in a cunts bar ............ obviously while I'm there I'll go see a bit of the country."

Two weeks kicking a football around with a sunburnt white boy has never changed the life of any destitute child on the planet ever. Fuck off you blagging bastards, and don't bother telling me about humanity when you get home either you cunt. You stayed in a fucking 5 star hotel cos you you could afford it and you were tired from the kids n' all. Third world tourism dressed up as fucking philantropy, and now I'm getting a lecture about drinking Coke ??? Fuck Off!

Those people make me fucking sick. A mate recently was raising money to go to Africa sounds like the same bollox right, except he's going to build houses for people to live in. That's worth while work fuck it I'd chip in for that. A house is for life not just the duration of a white boys visit.

There's nobody in that whole country that could be employed to build a house?

I'm thinking of setting up a Fundit to keep this thread going.

When Jill Hives locked herself out of her flat earlier this week my first thought was 'set up a fund-it'

a sad reflection on my life

''I believe Jill Hives should get a locksmith to let her back into her flat free of charge. Share this as your status if you agree. Sadly,many of you won't do this."

''I believe Jill Hives should get a locksmith to let her back into her flat free of charge. Share this as your status if you agree. Sadly,many of you won't do this."

And there is a prime example why you don't see this particular internet junkie on faceache day and night

The things a person could do if they could devote themselves full-time to their art / rock'n'roll are precluded by a day-job.

Yeah, but aided by a pretty good social welfare system :)

good arguments for and against, but I'll continue to fund, as long as there is a fair exchange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back