Fuck Religion (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 98K
  • Watchers 12
I don't get the need to leave the organisation either formally or symbolically. If you truly don't believe, then having some water poured on your head decades ago and your name on a certificate somewhere shouldn't even be on your list of things to worry about.
This came before ..some discussion about that same question here

Leaving the Catholic Church - countmeout.ie | thumped.com

Well the site offers some reasons as to why you would choose to leave:

If you were baptised as a Catholic you are still counted among the congregation of the church, regardless of what beliefs you currently hold. Here are some reasons why you may wish to leave:

• You no longer subscribe to the Catholic ethos, or are a 'lapsed' Catholic and you
    • Do not wish to be counted as a member;
    • Are appalled by the revelations concerning clerical abuse and wish to formally leave the church as a symbolic action;
    • Do not approve of the close relationship between the church and the Irish state and wish to contribute to its dismantling.
  • You wish to join another faith/religion.

Church Abuse Scandals

The Catholic church has been rocked by countless scandals involving physical, sexual and emotional abuse of mostly young children. This has been most recently documented in the Ryan Report which stated that children lived in "a climate of fear" and that "sexual abuse was endemic in boys institutions". The public reaction to the report was one of shock and outrage. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is one way of letting church authorities know how you feel about these scandals.

Church/State Relations

Ireland has long been regarded as a traditionally Catholic country. As such, the state has afforded the Catholic church a role in the provision of a range of key social services. For example, 98% of primary schools are funded by the state and yet are managed by the local Catholic bishop. Many hospitals are funded by the state and run by the Catholic church. The institutions where the abuse documented in the Ryan Report occurred were all run by Catholic orders. In modern Ireland, do we really want to maintain this close relationship between the church and state? Formally defecting from the Catholic church sends an unambiguous message that you no longer wish to be counted in a statistic used to justify the church's role in the state's social services.

Emotional Satisfaction

Some may argue that simply being a "lapsed" Catholic (i.e. not going to mass, not praying etc.) is enough of a step. There are others that feel this does not go far enough for them, it does not provide the emotional satisfaction they require. Formally defecting from the Catholic church is the best means possible to make a clean break with the church.

I know all that but I don't feel that being on a baptismal register is the same as having a membership to an organisation that you willingly signed up to. It's not like joining the KKK or the Nazis, even if the church as an organisation is responsible for as much hate and bigotry over the years.

In any case, I don't lose sleep over it.

I can't stand proselytizing atheists.They never fucking stop going on about it.

I really need to learn to be more tolerant across the board.

Like what do you have to fucking do??

Not go on a second date with her

55fd1e32bb8f2059ffbba1f88779dfe2438b4038537f3eb766fef75d4f05a2d0

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back