From a basement on the hill... (1 Viewer)

fuck, im dying to hear that actually.
i read a few posts in some other threads referring to it as bein' quite deaaaaaadly anyway so heres to hoping!

the Domino site has the whole album streamed, in a mini site. Listened to it today a couple o times. No real amazing stand out tracks as far as I was concerned but it's probably a grower. Which is good.

heard about half the album.sounds really good.along the same lines as XO. Quite disturbing some of the lyrics are too.about him being guilty about selling out and shit.although surely everyone must have seen it coming with that "everything means nothing to me" refrain from FIgure8. Roman Candle's still his best if you ask me.

It's more of the same, but that was a great same, so you can only have it. 'Let's Got Lost' is a favourite.

Am uncomfortable with the whole "do you see how all those lyrics made sense now" thing, which is a dire way to listen to an album.

TheDonnasTurn21 said:
Am uncomfortable with the whole "do you see how all those lyrics made sense now" thing, which is a dire way to listen to an album.
of course it is but you can't help but listen to it that way in the immediate aftermath.a couple of listens in and that'll pass.

hermie said:
heard about half the album.sounds really good.along the same lines as XO. Quite disturbing some of the lyrics are too.about him being guilty about selling out and shit.although surely everyone must have seen it coming with that "everything means nothing to me" refrain from FIgure8. Roman Candle's still his best if you ask me.
dunno if id say its the same as xo, its much weirder to my ears, backwards orchestral bits etc(like on kings crossing or coast to coast, cant remember which).theres a song called fond farewell which is great, probably my favourite from what ive heard. as for the lyrics, i dont go for that portentous shit. i mean, anyone reading paul mccartney's lyrics would think he was a tosser:rolleyes:

i reckon its one of his best, not as good as either/or's tho. im just glad they didnt load on the 30 odd songs he had done in some form for the album, a la jeff buckley. though i suppose we can look forward to the 6 cd/dvd retrospective box set including live rehearsal takes recorded on a mobile phone by someone standing outside his shower in the not-so-distant future.:mad:

hermie said:
of course it is but you can't help but listen to it that way in the immediate aftermath.a couple of listens in and that'll pass.
speaking of the aftermath i remember being in tower a day or two after the news of his death spread and someone working there told me that they had sold loads more e.s. records in those two days than they had in eons.

understandable?
creepy?
or just plain abhorrent.

i shall shit on the fence and say undercreepent.

eoinbox said:
dunno if id say its the same as xo, its much weirder to my ears, backwards orchestral bits etc(like on kings crossing or coast to coast, cant remember which).theres a song called fond farewell which is great, probably my favourite from what ive heard. as for the lyrics, i dont go for that portentous shit. i mean, anyone reading paul mccartney's lyrics would think he was a tosser:rolleyes:

i reckon its one of his best, not as good as either/or's tho. im just glad they didnt load on the 30 odd songs he had done in some form for the album, a la jeff buckley. though i suppose we can look forward to the 6 cd/dvd retrospective box set including live rehearsal takes recorded on a mobile phone by someone standing outside his shower in the not-so-distant future.:mad:
firstly paul mccartney is a tosser(or were you being sarcastic?).i only heard about 6 songs at one sitting and it didn't seem like much of a departure to me. sounded good though.lastly anyone who bought those jeff buckley 're-issues' deserve to be ripped off.

d.o.b said:
speaking of the aftermath i remember being in tower a day or two after the news of his death spread and someone working there told me that they had sold loads more e.s. records in those two days than they had in eon
that's just coz it got everyone thinking about him.he was on the tip of everyone's brain when they did their daily lap of tower records.

hermie said:
firstly paul mccartney is a tosser(or were you being sarcastic?).i only heard about 6 songs at one sitting and it didn't seem like much of a departure to me. sounded good though.lastly anyone who bought those jeff buckley 're-issues' deserve to be ripped off.
aye, interweb sarcasm isnt all its cracked up to be. not much of a departure alright, but i mean its not as if there was much of a departure with any of his records, just got louder or quieter. in a good way! as per the reissues, aontaím leis sin, i think i heard of a mammoth jeff one a while back. i mean the guy only had 1 studio album didnt he? how do they stull manage to put shit out?

Yes its unbelievably good. A grower too. Cos ithink its been getting better and I;ve been listening to it for about a month and was pretty familiar with all the songs, hence the name. I have to say "no standout track" seems to be a pretty dumb comment considering Kings Crossing, standout track if ever there was one. Also Fond Farewell, Strung Out Again are huge. A lot weirder than his other. And yes, more if the same if by that you mean another fucking classic album from the best songwriter in ages and ages. Yeh.

Because of some distribution feck-up it looks like HMV and Virgin (at least where I live anyway) won't have the album till Friday - damn it! So I've taken to listening to the album on-line, which previously I would have though of as cheating, but which is now completelely necessary. It's an amazing album - of course I'm biased, being a fan of his for six years, but I do think my praise is justified! Take Twilight for example - if you don't feel a pang whilst listening to this song then you truly have no heart!

coast to coast said:
And yes, more if the same if by that you mean another fucking classic album from the best songwriter in ages and ages. Yeh.
that is what i meant.can't wait to get this, i'll have to get a job first.unless...is it wrong to steal this one off the net seeing as he's dead and doesn't need the money anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back