four track recording (1 Viewer)

20070124-a-001.jpg
das nugs is a sterling fellow.

yeah, the coolest thing is it makes you think of doing shit in one take.. cause you don't want pops and glitches etc.

so you end up doing a guitar solo and then doing a backing vocal in the same take.. pretty funny and if you fuck up you gotta start again..

it makes you concentrate much more than if you using a daw. and it sounds fucking awesome.. you can be waaay too lazy with a computer..

yo FUCK computers..

the mk111 can record four tracks at once.. it's a beast, got it at weekend for 80e.. bargain

i wrote and recorded and finished way more songs when i only used my 4 track tascam mf p01. only problem now is that headphone jack is fucked (well it has been for absolutely ages actually) but i need to feed it out through a stereo or other amplifier to hear anything, which now makes operating it quite difficult.

i do agree that most things i recorded sounded lovely on it, and i felt a lot less worried about mistakes than when trying to make something sound pro (which in fairness i've still never achieved). probably the best thing it does is allow you to sketch out ideas as quick as a motherfucker and have them sound great.

also - recording shit on a track and then turning the tape backwards and recording other shit against the backwards track - boner!!!!!

Right heres d pepsi challange:

Someone record the same song ( a cover) on a four track and on PC daw and see which ones sounds better......

Maybe dont say which one is which and then we all vote and if i was right then everyone can eat my balls

Greatest thing about 4-tracks is that the brain to recording medium path is as short as possible.
You don't need to engage your technical brain as much as you do in the DAW world.

You don't need to engage your technical brain as much as you do in the DAW world.

don't know about the man, you have to arm the record track, make sure the right channel is routing to that track... make sure PAUSE isn't on (ask Dutchy, this happens) maybe my machines a little more complicated then most, but I found you had to more methodical before hitting record

probably mostly because there is UNDO function on a 4 track... :eek:

don't know about the man, you have to arm the record track, make sure the right channel is routing to that track... make sure PAUSE isn't on (ask Dutchy, this happens) maybe my machines a little more complicated then most, but I found you had to more methodical before hitting record

probably mostly because there is UNDO function on a 4 track... :eek:

don't forget about making sure theres enough tape left for the space rock jams.

Right heres d pepsi challange:

Someone record the same song ( a cover) on a four track and on PC daw and see which ones sounds better......

Maybe dont say which one is which and then we all vote and if i was right then everyone can eat my balls

can you understand the idea that it doesn't have to be one over the other? you can use the best of both to get a better sound..

I found the Roland VS880 to be a nice transition from 4 track to Computer. It has loads of functions that I never bothered with and I used to treat it the same way as the 4 track. Like, putting a solo on the same track as a 2nd vocal etc.
I don't know what the guts of this thing are but it sounds nice too.

pic.php

Amazing to think I bought this for £1400!

I found the Roland VS880 to be a nice transition from 4 track to Computer. It has loads of functions that I never bothered with and I used to treat it the same way as the 4 track. Like, putting a solo on the same track as a 2nd vocal etc.
I don't know what the guts of this thing are but it sounds nice too.

pic.php

Amazing to think I bought this for £1400!

i was moping around the roland site recently and i might be wrong but they seem to have discontinued the VS-series of machines. pity.

can you understand the idea that it doesn't have to be one over the other? you can use the best of both to get a better sound..

Richie speaks the truth!

This is the answer to the whole "Digital vs Analogue" crap that's been going on for years.

I've often recorded stuff like drum loops using crappy old tape machines and bumped them into pro-tools for editing etc. Sounds lovely and I've yet to hear a plug-in that replicates it. Tis the future.

ah yea, they've had their day.

true, but there must be something to say for a daw that doesnt incorporate internet and other distractions into its list of features. i used a 2480 a few weeks back, installed it with ableton for someone in tandem with a computer, the pc wasnt shit hot but in tandem it made a great studio with a nice hands on feel. the 2480 is more mixing desk then 4 track.

anyways, i know they sell sa90's in maplins but is there any place that does shorter 60min or 15min tapes chrome style?

if there is i'd say there days might be numbered :)

I'd have a look in that golden value shop on clanbrassil st.

It's a whole mess of random. Think I saw some there a while back.

Obviously i never suggested that anyone has to choose between digital or analogue recording.I was making the point that four tracks are somewhat more user friendly then listener friendly .I have also experimented with using tapes etc to colour sounds but i found that i was just introducing a time consuming technique in to my process .Obviously thats just my opinion which is based on the sounds i used at the time......

Then again you could still challange yourself to record 3 tracks 1 which is totally analogue , 1 totally digital and one thats a composite and see which is best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back