four track recording (1 Viewer)

japeo

Since 2000
Website
www.theredneckmanifesto.com
i picked up a tascam 424 at the weekend.. it's fucking amazing..

does anybody else still do four track cassette recording here?

it's so nice.. sounds so warm and hissy compared to the digital domain..

running synths through it and changing the tape speed is absolutely gorgeous..

anyways, i know they sell sa90's in maplins but is there any place that does shorter 60min or 15min tapes chrome style?

if there is i'd say there days might be numbered :)

Yeah i use a Tascam too. Mine is a crapper model though. I really like sound off it alright. I use a one take rule with it. So all my recordings are rough as fuck but it think that adds to the overall sound.

yeah, the coolest thing is it makes you think of doing shit in one take.. cause you don't want pops and glitches etc.

so you end up doing a guitar solo and then doing a backing vocal in the same take.. pretty funny and if you fuck up you gotta start again..

it makes you concentrate much more than if you using a daw. and it sounds fucking awesome.. you can be waaay too lazy with a computer..

yo FUCK computers..

the mk111 can record four tracks at once.. it's a beast, got it at weekend for 80e.. bargain

i have a 424mkII. have only recorded 1 thing, ever.

see here

sounds cool dude, reminds me of that japanese band high rise.. total overload on the tape heads but still sounds lovely cause it's all analog.. if you overloaded a channel on logic like that you wouldn't be able to listen to it without fucking your ears up :)

Not exactly compact-casette based, but this badboy was on Freecycle.org the other day.

Was snapped right up, yes, for free:

mtr_1.jpg

OFFERED: AKAI MG1212 HOME RECORDING MIXER, Dublin 13
Posted by: "XXXXXX" [email protected]
Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:25 am (PST)

Bought from The Jesus and Mary Chain in 1994, this AKAI MG1212 recorded many of the early Future Kings Of Spain demos. It needs a service and the tape loader needs repair. It uses Beta cassette shells loaded with the equivalent of Ampex 457 tape to record analog sound in a linear fashion at 7.5 ips with dbx type I professional noise reduction along with an integrated mixer.. The whole thing retailed for £7000 plus back in its prime and was really the only competition to the Studio8 from TASCAM.

To be honest ive know a few people who bang on about still using four tracks and i think yous are having more fun recording with them then the listener has listening to what youve recorded.Using daws is hard and unforgiving but thats why you have to good.

However there is a lot to be said for the workflow of four tracks.......

To be honest ive know a few people who bang on about still using four tracks and i think yous are having more fun recording with them then the listener has listening to what youve recorded.Using daws is hard and unforgiving but thats why you have to good.

However there is a lot to be said for the workflow of four tracks.......

i know what you mean to a certain extent.. but if you somehow integrate the four track into your daw set up you get another sonic character that the daw can't reproduce..

obviously would be nicer sounding to get a proper tape machine.. but you know four track is cool for now..

i don't think it's hard and unforgiving to use a daw though, completely the opposite! :)

4trxRcmnBK!

You said this

it makes you concentrate much more than if you using a daw. and it sounds fucking awesome.. you can be waaay too lazy with a computer..

yo FUCK computers..

Then you said this

don't think it's hard and unforgiving to use a daw though, completely the opposite!

The difficulty with using DAW is that there are many options- it can be more effective to use a small palatte of simple tools.....

Anyway hardware tape records and four tracks have gotten very cheap so worth checking out..................

You said this

Then you said this

The difficulty with using DAW is that there are many options- it can be more effective to use a small palatte of simple tools.....

Anyway hardware tape records and four tracks have gotten very cheap so worth checking out..................

as far as i can see those two points you printed of mine say exactly the same thing!

you can be lazy with a computer (daw), i.e it's so easy to use it makes you lazy.. they do all the work for you i.e EASY

vs

it's not hard and unforgiving to use a daw, completely the opposite i.e EASY[
/SIZE]

the last one was in relation to your point about finding a daw hard and unforgiving to use.. if you make a mistake with a daw you can fix it in two seconds! or if you sing out of tune you can tune it straight away, it's like going to audio confession!

i got a real old tascam portastudio from the 70s at home. its got gorgeous shitty pre amps on it but as richie was saying earlier, the pitch knob alone is worth having them.

also, have you ever tried recording something with the tape running really slow? so that way theres more information over the same amount of tape, but it plays back at the correct pitch.. it seems to make everything sound huge..

Not exactly compact-casette based, but this badboy was on Freecycle.org the other day.

Was snapped right up, yes, for free:

mtr_1.jpg

OFFERED: AKAI MG1212 HOME RECORDING MIXER, Dublin 13
Posted by: "XXXXXX" [email protected]
Fri Jan 9, 2009 3:25 am (PST)

Bought from The Jesus and Mary Chain in 1994, this AKAI MG1212 recorded many of the early Future Kings Of Spain demos. It needs a service and the tape loader needs repair. It uses Beta cassette shells loaded with the equivalent of Ampex 457 tape to record analog sound in a linear fashion at 7.5 ips with dbx type I professional noise reduction along with an integrated mixer.. The whole thing retailed for £7000 plus back in its prime and was really the only competition to the Studio8 from TASCAM.

My missus rang me to tell me about that.

I turned it down.Too much hassle.

Give me computers any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back