FIFA Wankings & Number of UEFA qualifiers in World Cup (1 Viewer)

snap-apple said:
Better WC? I'm not into the aesthetics, just think 5 african teams and 4 from central and north america is too many considering their ability. You don't see the South Koreans and Saudis in the rugby world cup like.

No, but you see Romania and Canada get their arse spanked. FIFA have a role in promoting the game worldwide, and if that means encouraging the lesser sides by having shite qualify for the WC so be it. We were a lesser side at one stage (and are back to being one IMO)

snap-apple said:
But Tunisia, Angola, Togo, Saudis, T&T, Costa Rica and Iran... muck.

I notice you forgot to mention European muck like S&M and Poland, both of whom were worse than Tunisia, T&T and Iran. Japan were shit as well, suppose we tell them not to bother. Ecuador, Paraguay and the USA were pox, ain't just the spearchuckers (aka Linfield). Angola and Togo qualified for the WC for the first time, remember what that was like? Angola got to play their old colonial masters, just like us in our first WC, and gave a good account of themselves. T&T played well in their first two ties, Tunisia lead against the Spanish for 70 minutes (and were good for it too).

And its not about asthetics (well, kind of), if you have a problem with the quality of side coming from the lesser confederations who replaces them? I'd rather watch a game but naive Angola than a boring Danish/Russian side, or dare I say it, a shit Ireland. Like I said, only Turkey were missed at this WC from Europe, and I don't much like them cunts anyway.

i think everyone´s beef here is really with shitty asian teams. the africans aquitted themselves well - ghana and ivory coast were deadly. angola and togo fluked through qualifications and the groups would have been better with nigeria and cameroon, but thats not really how you decide who gets into a world cup. tunisia were worth their qualification because of how goddamn angry their goalie and their manager were. so much shouting.

also, there should be a future ban on switzerland in the world cup and possibly on its existence. they are the new belgium. i´m so glad they were eliminated without conceding a goal. we got to the quarter final without winning a game, which shows something is right at FIFA. Fuck off Switzerland, you´re shit at pennos.

i got way off my point there...why do european teams actually in europe have to play against the likes of Israel, Kazakhstan, Georgia, Azerbaijan, etc... when they plainly aren´t fucking in Europe. Its already difficult enough to qualify. Fuxache.

The places for African, Asian, CONCACAF etc mightnt reflect the real balance of where the best teams are but they have to dangle a carrot there to encourage the development of the game in those countries... if they think they never have a hope of qualifying they won't bother with it at all.. and we'd end up with a European Championships Part II (plus some South Americans) that the majority of the world doesn't care about.

Cormcolash said:
Well look at it now, 4 teams left in the World Cup, all of them European teams. Says it all.

Nah. It doesn't say it at all. In 2002 there was only two.

I reckon it's about right. African football is coming on leaps and bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back