Fairytale of Kathmandu (1 Viewer)

for someone who can't possibly know her exact thoughts, you're managing to credit her with a serious amount of calculation there - suggesting that her feelings on the matter to be disingenuous and serving solely to distance herself from him and colour the audience's opinion of her. sure you're admitting it's cynicism, but that's not removing the fact that you ultimately think she is complicit somehow.

I obviously don't know exactly how she felt, I'm saying how I as a viewer feel she came across . and at that point in the documentary she certainly did come across as being keen to distance herself from his actions, to me anyway. And to be honest, the question for me really is does she herself feel like she was in some way complicit?

I obviously don't know exactly how she felt, I'm saying how I as a viewer feel she came across . and at that point in the documentary she certainly did come across as being keen to distance herself from his actions, to me anyway. And to be honest, the question for me really is does she herself feel like she was in some way complicit?

yeah I guess she touched on that in a way - mentioning that she had been in denial about it and obviously avoided the issue of morality and avoided the confrontation. that's a difficult position to find yourself in as a human being, let alone filmmaker. and she did press him in the end and confront him on every aspect you would have hoped for her to.

I don't think she could be judged as complicit, though. she was very transparent with the boys in her interviews and didn't appear to lead them in any direction - which is also true when she spoke to the hotel owner. she could have pressed him for details by suggestion, but she let him say his bit and took heed of his sentiments. I would be of the opinion that those boys getting to tell their story and explain their feelings on what happened was important for them - I doubt that they needed any convincing to do so, I also doubt that she would have been in any mood or position to coerce anyone into anything.

I think we all know what should be done here, the Gays should be banned from travelling and from entering farmyards and zoos.

This is pretty much what I've been thinking.Neasa including the footage of herself toward the end for the "oh look how concerned I am" effect = oldest trick in the book too.

most of my post was highly opinionated and terribly un-informed. But i get you. Read back through the thread, it'll clear up shit.

He's a shit poet too.

People were like "if we take him off the leaving cert, should we take oscar wilde and william wordsworth and whoever off?".

No, they were talented.

I never heard of this fella before this came out.
I haven't seen the documentary.
BUT
When I was 16 I knew whether or not I wanted a 50 year old sweaty fat bloke humping my hole.

Just sayin.

good point, well made

I know Cathal, he's a neighbour (when I lived in donegal)

I asked my sister last night what the local reaction was and the general feeling is ;

"Vinegar Hill productions are out to get Donegal"

!

good point, well made

I know Cathal, he's a neighbour (when I lived in donegal)

I asked my sister last night what the local reaction was and the general feeling is ;

"Vinegar Hill productions are out to get Donegal"

!

yeah they're not locally popular.

He's a shit poet too.

People were like "if we take him off the leaving cert, should we take oscar wilde and william wordsworth and whoever off?".

No, they were talented.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.C._Minor

Yeah, I would agree. I wouldn't take him off the leaving because of his activities. Although teachers will probably avoid him because the controversy he brings will distract from teaching his work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W.C._Minor

One of the greatest contributors to the OED was a murderer (who also branded Irish deserters) but there are no suggestionsby English Teachers that we stop using the OED as a reference book.

And her tone during the narration made me sick.

I agree. It ruined an otherwise interesting doc for me. I didn't see all of it, and missed the confrontational ending, but I liked the way it was structured and the way it gradually dawned on you what was happening (I wasn't aware of the furore around this guy before seeing it).

Also, I don't think his poetry should be removed from the Leaving curriculum (as per previous posts) because of this. His art should stand on it's own merits, despite his personal behaviour; though that will now colour how one reads/interprets his poems.

And her tone during the narration made me sick.

I agree. It ruined an otherwise interesting doc for me. I didn't see all of it, and missed the confrontational ending, but I liked the way it was structured and the way it gradually dawned on you what was happening (I wasn't aware of the furore around this guy before seeing it).

Also, I don't think his poetry should be removed from the Leaving curriculum (as per previous posts) because of this. His art should stand on it's own merits, despite his personal behaviour; though that will now colour how one reads/interprets his poems.

I really don't know how I feel on the issue of whether or not you can seperate someones art from their behaviour. You don't hear an awful lot of Gary Glitter these days for obvious reasons, but critics can still shower Roman Polanski with praise and very few people will recoil in repulsion. I know their crimes aren't the same, but there are certainly similarities.

The American director Victor Salva (Powder, Jeepers Creepers) was convicted of sex with a young boy - he even taped the incident, yet he still finds work in Hollywood today.

:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back