"Facts" about asylum seekers! (1 Viewer)

or simply alot of people think every non white person in ireland is a refugee so the see john the (black) doctor in his car doing his rounds and think how did that refugee affoard a car?

On the button, we all know the amount of doctor's from Asian/African countries in Ireland, they get paid well (work hard im sure) and drive a car - joe soap thinks refugee with free car blah blah...

I get to work for a few weeks with an Asylum seekers outreach org at the start of January - can't wait, should be pretty interesting area.I'll ask about the free cars then.

How do you know that it wasn't Zeus, come to trap poor Leda?

How do you know they weren't just going to ride it raw and release it back into the 'wild'?

Hilarious, though. Only a nutjob would go within five feet of a swan.

That guy's blog is pretty funny. From there, he pointed out a pissy racist blog who link to him http://irishsavant.blogspot.com/ (and seem no longer to do so, since he rightly called him a racist, homophobic fool), and from there, I found another fucking crazy racist blog, http://hiberniagirl.blogspot.com/ Holy shit. She's something else. ICP 2.0. Luckily, no one seems to read her blog, or at least people don't seem to comment much. That's a good thing.

"Blah blah blah, I'm not racist, I just never met a Jew who wasn't greedy or a black who wasn't a halfwit...blah blah blah blah..."

I also saw, in relation to people of non-Irish blood (people who tan, I guess) on Yer Man McWilliams's blog, a comment that said something like "Just because a dog is born in a barn doesn't make it a horse." Fucking hell.

Is there a bit of extra resurgence in Eugenics and shit of that ilk, or is it just coincidence that I've come across it quite a bit in the last while? It's gone beyond "THEY DOOK MA DJOB!" to "They're polluting 'our' gene pool."

Is there a bit of extra resurgence in Eugenics and shit of that ilk, or is it just coincidence that I've come across it quite a bit in the last while? It's gone beyond "THEY DOOK MA DJOB!" to "They're polluting 'our' gene pool."

I notice the same thing - can't explain it though.

It might have something to do with the amount of popular science programmes and news articles that cover genetics in some way - what with the sequencing of the genome and all that over the past few years.

It gives racist people little factoids of genetics to build into their theories.

I notice the same thing - can't explain it though.

It might have something to do with the amount of popular science programmes and news articles that cover genetics in some way - what with the sequencing of the genome and all that over the past few years.

It gives racist people little factoids of genetics to build into their theories.

Man, I hate lapsing into Famous Quotations, but 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'. But that might be part of it.

There's more than a little of that in archaeology, too, and I saw a disturbing article in the recent Archaeology Ireland that made me want to puke. There's a black dude with a basket of fish on the cover, a great photo and all. But then it's a teeny tiny part of an article on middle-stone-age fisheries, which tries to make a lame (and now considered academically questionable) comparison between Mesolithic Ireland and modern Africa -- it's not even a key part of the article, just a small image to accompany a secondary argument. So rather than just a plain old token minority, they basically sent the message that the dude on the cover is TOTALLY LIVING IN THE STONE AGE, in Africa, where nothing has changed since Lucy dragged her knuckes across Olduvai Gorge because African people aren't smart enough to change things!

I think what's also happening is that people are resorting to things that sound like Eugenics because they're having to hone their arguments a bit more, which is really just them digging their own holes deeper. It's actually rather useful because it's kind of easier to spot a racist and easier to demolish their stupid argument about Africans being genetically stupid fraudsters and Jews being genetically greedy and Filipina nurses somehow genetically prone to steal all the jobs (because of course that's not at all the fault of the health service who should not be automatically cutting wages of nurses to feed their ever-fatter administrators and consultants).

It's also a huge setback because you can't actually talk about solutions, or even about the actual issues because you're too busy trying to explain that maybe there's a teeny tiny bit more to genetics and theories of race and ethnicity than you can pick up during the ad breaks of America's Next Top Model.

And also trying not to bust a gut laughing at them because that doesn't really help. Because holy hell, this shit is comedy gold.

Man, I hate lapsing into Famous Quotations, but 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing'. But that might be part of it.

There's more than a little of that in archaeology, too, and I saw a disturbing article in the recent Archaeology Ireland that made me want to puke. There's a black dude with a basket of fish on the cover, a great photo and all. But then it's a teeny tiny part of an article on middle-stone-age fisheries, which tries to make a lame (and now considered academically questionable) comparison between Mesolithic Ireland and modern Africa -- it's not even a key part of the article, just a small image to accompany a secondary argument. So rather than just a plain old token minority, they basically sent the message that the dude on the cover is TOTALLY LIVING IN THE STONE AGE, in Africa, where nothing has changed since Lucy dragged her knuckes across Olduvai Gorge because African people aren't smart enough to change things!

I think what's also happening is that people are resorting to things that sound like Eugenics because they're having to hone their arguments a bit more, which is really just them digging their own holes deeper. It's actually rather useful because it's kind of easier to spot a racist and easier to demolish their stupid argument about Africans being genetically stupid fraudsters and Jews being genetically greedy and Filipina nurses somehow genetically prone to steal all the jobs (because of course that's not at all the fault of the health service who should not be automatically cutting wages of nurses to feed their ever-fatter administrators and consultants).

It's also a huge setback because you can't actually talk about solutions, or even about the actual issues because you're too busy trying to explain that maybe there's a teeny tiny bit more to genetics and theories of race and ethnicity than you can pick up during the ad breaks of America's Next Top Model.

And also trying not to bust a gut laughing at them because that doesn't really help. Because holy hell, this shit is comedy gold.

The intelligent design debate is part of this trend too. People with extreme view now realise thay have to be more sophisticated in how those views are presented. Inventing things that sound like science or misrepreenting actual science by picking isolated facts is an efective way of doing this. So there is now a chorus of people expousing shit that sounds plausible to people who dont fully understand the science.

Oh, and I also think that it should be pointed out that what these DNA-testing, fingerprint-taking, satellite-monitoring weirdos are demanding from the government is going to cost their tax money. It's probably cheaper to fix the broken immigration system and continue erring on the side of caution and humanity than it is to take DNA samples from every non-EU citizen, and then follow them around with a heat-seeking camera.

Maybe for people who demand that sort of shit, they should be barred from ever complaining about the state of the health service, lack of infrastructure, poor school facilities, etc. If you demand that your government take a brown person's DNA instead of put a roof on the local school, or operate on yer sick granny, that's fine.

Edit: Oh, I'm referring to the insane new rule in Griffith college, where they want to fingerprint foreign students instead of taking regular roll call. Not a 'fingerprint your child for safety', but a 'here, brown person who pays double fees, you get fingerprinted EVERY DAY.' And then they'll pass that info on to the GNIB.

The intelligent design debate is part of this trend too. People with extreme view now realise thay have to be more sophisticated in how those views are presented. Inventing things that sound like science or misrepreenting actual science by picking isolated facts is an efective way of doing this. So there is now a chorus of people expousing shit that sounds plausible to people who dont fully understand the science.

It's really weird. I was going to point out the 'intelligent design' thing, but I wonder will that ever make much of an impact here? People are still trying to move away from the church, and even where there are a fair few non-Dinosaur-believing-in people in the UK, they don't seem to be making many waves here.

But yeah, it's definitely the same line of thinking, which is why it's so important for people who are in the sciences to make sure they do their best to help the non-scientific public understand the important bits. Because the flipside is that you get someone with some bad science supporting a 'global warming is our fault' argument, and then someone dismantles the argument, and all of a sudden, you've got a global warming naysayer who thinks he or she has been betrayed.

History gets misrepresented all the time, and it's so common that it's impossible to tell if this is new or just the same thing in a different form.

But I feel like fraudulent science is the last refuge of the soundrel. Like once they've gone that far, shit is going to get worse before it gets better.

Kathy French as one of the Children of Lir being baptised by Barry Egan as she is turning old and human before she dies.

Or Deirdre of the Sorrows, with the Indo and the tabloids going to war over her.

Maybe Twink can be one of the Children of Lir, too. But people might have trouble accepting her as even part-human.

But yeah, it's definitely the same line of thinking, which is why it's so important for people who are in the sciences to make sure they do their best to help the non-scientific public understand the important bits.

*ahem*

Will yis cop the fuck on lads.
Fuck sake like.

Thanks.

I've been hearing the auld "Them black fellahs are all rapists" 'meme' from alot of people lately. Loads of cab drivers solemnly swear that they get alot of Irish girls ringing them up looking for lifts cos of dem rapists.

I've been hearing the auld "Them black fellahs are all rapists" 'meme' from alot of people lately. Loads of cab drivers solemnly swear that they get alot of Irish girls ringing them up looking for lifts cos of dem rapists.

Maybe they mean deyz rappeh?

But yeah, that was yer bloodlines woman's argument, "A woman was *raped* two weeks ago! And he had a criminal record and he was allowed in here..." I'm gathering it was someone from another EU country anyway, so it's actually not just 'blacks' anymore. Rather than the fact that most immigrants are from within the EU or are 'returning migrants' clearing up some of the misconceptions, a lot of people seem to be going, "Well, then I hate them, too! Europeans back to Europe!"

Then yer man Donie Cassidy saying that anyone from outside the UK and Ireland should have to have a lower speed limit (because yeah, that would work), and then there's the fingerprinting of foreign students as a way of taking attendance. Plus the new rule about applying to the minister to marry a foreign.

The rape thing. That's insane. I did ask the bint if she thought this was the first time there was a rape in Ireland, but I didn't have the heart to bring up the Catholic Church. It would have sounded like 'all priests are rapists', rather than be a way of pointing out that there are rapists in all walks of life. Sometimes when someone is so deeply ignorant, the last thing you should try to do is educate them. I was trying until she got onto the Nazi shit. The idea that all black dudes are rapists is about as old as dirt, but it's another one of those worrying trends that would make it a not-very-stretchy stretch to get to vigilante types calling to 'round them all up'.

Man, that woman really fucking pissed me off. I can't believe I'm still talking about her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back