External hard drives (1 Viewer)

Luther Blissett

I badly need to get an external hard drive (possibly two) to back up the work I'm doing for my PhD. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have one of those iomega external hard drives, the ones like look like a hip flask. I haven't used it in over a year. I just hooked it up and the green light is on but my computer doesn't seem to recognize it. Same thing happened at work today. It has, what looks to be a power adaptor point but I've no clue where that might be in my boxes. Does it need to be plugged into a power source other than the computer to work? I can't remember. I'm guessing it's just fucked?

Those Mini-Drives can usually work USB only. Does the computer make a noise when it is first plugged in? If so going to Control/Admin Tool/computer management/Disk management, you should be able to see the drive and assign a letter to it (that is on a PC I have no clue for a Mac).

I would avoid those Iomega Mediadrive I have had 2 of them over the years and both had disk failure.

Probably a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway. I have one of those iomega external hard drives, the ones like look like a hip flask. I haven't used it in over a year. I just hooked it up and the green light is on but my computer doesn't seem to recognize it. Same thing happened at work today. It has, what looks to be a power adaptor point but I've no clue where that might be in my boxes. Does it need to be plugged into a power source other than the computer to work? I can't remember. I'm guessing it's just fucked?

i've one that needs two USB connections to function, one for data & one for power, so you could be looking for a second cable with USB at one end and a little power adapter at the other?

well that was unhelpful

Yeah, I have one with two USB connections too. However, you only need to plug one in for it to work (circled in the attached picture). Mine has also has a blue light when it turns on so not sure if a green light is supposed to be on or whether that's a (stupidly coloured) error light.
image.jpeg

Turns out it was the case that was broken. Got one of those drive cases and now it's fine. I also bought a new one with double the space. I really need to get better at backing stuff up. Now I need to transfer all the music I've put on my work computer over the last three years. Those IT Solutions lads near Pearse St. Station are sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back