Calibrating WD external hard-drive [with recovered data from broken Mac] with the fixed Mac (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

Right, so my Mac crashed a while ago, eh, right after I bought this Western Digital TB passport [external hard-drive].

So, the Mac was fixed, but yer man who fixed it had to recover the "lost" data. When he had recovered the data from my broken Mac, I gave him the new WD to put it on. Right. So anyway, I stick the WD external hard-drive into the now freshly working, but wiped Mac... but it needs to be calibrated with the Time Machine on the Mac... but in order to do this I have to seemingly erase what is on the hard-drive - e.g the recovered data!

Arghhh!

Is the only way to calibrate the WD with my Mac to erase all this recovered data?? Please tell me there's a way to calibrate the WD drive without losing the recovered data. Tried checking the recovered data files on a Toshiba, and nothing intelligible comes up...

i don't know anything about Macs but that sounds wrong to me. straight back to yer man who fixed it for an explanation... but i'd be copying the drive contents to somewhere else first, just in case.

+1 to that.

I'd a borked Mac migrated to a new machine a few years back in galway, when they gave it to me the whole system was 100% up and running, logged and carried on from where in was. Cost money but Worth it

Right, so my Mac crashed a while ago, eh, right after I bought this Western Digital TB passport [external hard-drive].

So, the Mac was fixed, but yer man who fixed it had to recover the "lost" data. When he had recovered the data from my broken Mac, I gave him the new WD to put it on. Right. So anyway, I stick the WD external hard-drive into the now freshly working, but wiped Mac... but it needs to be calibrated with the Time Machine on the Mac... but in order to do this I have to seemingly erase what is on the hard-drive - e.g the recovered data!

Arghhh!

Is the only way to calibrate the WD with my Mac to erase all this recovered data?? Please tell me there's a way to calibrate the WD drive without losing the recovered data. Tried checking the recovered data files on a Toshiba, and nothing intelligible comes up...

how do you mean 'calibrate'? Is the data encrypted?

Also, what kind of data are we talking about? It sounds to me like there's a bunch of files on an external drive that you can't access.

Also, if your restore strategy is to revert to exactly how the mac was prior to it getting borked, that might be a bit ambitious. A more piecemeal approach where you copy the bits you need off the external drive, might be more sensible.

I've just changed to a new work mac. It wasn't possible to migrate via the migration tool due to some bullshit our new owners put in place on the new laptop, so I needed to do just that. Airdrop over the bits I need and reinstall the apps I wanted. Was a pain in the hole but I'm back up and running and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

how do you mean 'calibrate'? Is the data encrypted?

Also, what kind of data are we talking about? It sounds to me like there's a bunch of files on an external drive that you can't access.

Also, if your restore strategy is to revert to exactly how the mac was prior to it getting borked, that might be a bit ambitious. A more piecemeal approach where you copy the bits you need off the external drive, might be more sensible.

I've just changed to a new work mac. It wasn't possible to migrate via the migration tool due to some bullshit our new owners put in place on the new laptop, so I needed to do just that. Airdrop over the bits I need and reinstall the apps I wanted. Was a pain in the hole but I'm back up and running and it wasn't as bad as I expected.
Right, I used my mam's Toshiba to search for various files and then copied a few mp3, mp4, Avi, etc files that I wanted to use in the next while.

Yeah, I went back into the fella...he said whatever they were recovered on wasn't Mac, but I could recover them via non-Apple-cuntiness...can be done. Just tedious. He did it for free too...the recovery...I extracted myself from the scene then as I wanted to avoid an episode of Curb scenario... although this guy, what a beaut, real deadpan, dulled, quietly curmudgeon, not-taking-any-shit quality, completely neutral European accent...he was built for such a scenario.

Apple are the biggest cunts on the go. Rue the day I bought a MacBook.

Cheers for the advice ... I just wanted to avoid a trip to Mullingar on a Saturday morning for various reasons - not least because this guy was going to treat me like the thick cunt I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Latest threads

Back