even i don't find this funny..... (1 Viewer)

surely you mean david layde? ;)

billygannon said:
Would the tragedy have been avoided if Dermot Laide wasn't wearing these?
1000_westwoodshoes.jpg

jeebus- the "i can do no wrong, daddy will pay for it" attitude of kids who come from wealthy backgrounds is equally matched on the opposite side by "i don't give a shit what happens, i'm going to break his nose because it will make me feel better"... it's just a different standpoint brought about by different backgrounds and upbringings. people who have money behind them aren't 'worse' people than peoplle who don't... these posts smack of that bullshit... people who are rich don't automatically have blackened souls or anything... you need to bear in mind that our opinions of both sides have been formed based on our surroundings also and what we've been exposed to when we were growing up... everyone has equal potential to do good and bad, no matter what their financial situation is... i find it really hard to believe that none of us has ever reacted in anger or acted badly when in a certain situation... i doubt we are all as well-balanced and cool as we fancy we are.

I was in Anabels at a work do a few months after this thing happenened (I think??). Everyone from work went out dancing so I was minding the booze at the side of the bar. This upturned-collared prick and his girlfriend stand near me and start slobbering over each other. Then prickface walks over to me and asks me "Would you mind fucking off?" At which point I say "yes I would mind". He then proceed to pick up a pint glass and very drunkenly threaten to glass me. I really wanted to slap him but luckily enough his girlfriend drags him away. 5 minutes later he's over apologising and telling me what a nice "bloke" I am.

Seemed pretty typical of the place from what I remember: loads of rilled up south Dublin jocks.

ever been in that nightclub at the red cow inn? it's exaclty the same only the people speak like they come from clondalkin. what's all this rubbish? so i can take it we're all working class who never had handouts of any sort from our parents? jesus christ.
Unclealo said:
Seemed pretty typical of the place from what I remember: loads of rilled up south Dublin jocks.

hag said:
jeebus- the "i can do no wrong, daddy will pay for it" attitude of kids who come from wealthy backgrounds is equally matched on the opposite side by "i don't give a shit what happens, i'm going to break his nose because it will make me feel better"... it's just a different standpoint brought about by different backgrounds and upbringings. people who have money behind them aren't 'worse' people than peoplle who don't... these posts smack of that bullshit... people who are rich don't automatically have blackened souls or anything... you need to bear in mind that our opinions of both sides have been formed based on our surroundings also and what we've been exposed to when we were growing up... everyone has equal potential to do good and bad, no matter what their financial situation is... i find it really hard to believe that none of us has ever reacted in anger or acted badly when in a certain situation... i doubt we are all as well-balanced and cool as we fancy we are.

I think everyone hates rich assholes more than poor assholes because they tend to get away with it more often. Anyone who slaps someone in a fight, fair enough. Anyone who kicks someones skull open while they lie unconcious on the ground is evil.

hag said:
. what's all this rubbish? so i can take it we're all working class who never had handouts of any sort from our parents? jesus christ.

No Hag, a violent asshole is a violent asshole regardless of what "class" they come from. I as a culchie have a particular hatred of Dublin rugby jocks (thats just me sorry!)

What is so bad about this case is that these people are from upper middle class/ upper class backgrounds and appear to have been treated differently (Judge comments like " lets not ruin more lives" etc.) where a scumbag would have been fed to the wolves at this stage.

"i got home and the one thing that belonged to me that i hadn't left in my room - a bookcase - was broken, and someone had spilled beer on the books. the reaction to my ire: "oh relax, i mean, it's a party". yes, a party. well-known legitimate occasion to break other people's stuff. no apologies whatsoever. fuckers."

Such pricks. I bet they's say the same if they broke your amp at a gig; "sorry man."

as for being unfair becuase these guys are rich, that's bollox. I've been involved in one fight since primary school and I was an innocent bystander. It's easy to NOT get in fights and you can choose not to kick someone in the head/stomach/balls. And on the subject of media coverage, was there not a hell of a lot surrounding the Coolock boy killed for his poxy phone! - although, whatever happened to those bastards?

jane said:
This is true, and not just limited to your opinion.

The fact is that although we would like to think that the law is blind to class and background, the reality of the way that the legal system operates, and the people who operate it would suggest otherwise. And the media doesn't help. Class matters. On paper, it's not supposed to, but it certainly does. And always has.

Class matters most in papers. They're so responsible for sensationalising for profit. Look at the Soham murders. Would there have been such a media circus if the girls were from the inner city and black? No.

hag said:
oh christ, i'm not saying that "moneyed people == eeeeviiilll", i know plenty of people from equally (if not more) affluent backgrounds that are utterly lovely. it's just an attitude i've got from a particular type of person that i've encountered. no worse, i'm sure, than the equally unpleasant "y'startin', bud?" aggressive lad in a tracksuit.

and no, i don't think i'm a ghandi-like vision of well-balanced cool, and i can be as self-interested as the next person, but i'd like to think that i have enough empathy for my fellow-human not to, well, engage in acts of violence at the slightest provocation, or smash up somebody's home and just not give a fuck, or... i mean, as i said, these people actually frightened me, and i really don't think i'm frightening. much. :)

oh, i dunno, i'm rambling, maybe this is all just because it's 11 o'clock and i still haven't had enough coffee....

Anthony It's easy to NOT get in fights and you can choose not to kick someone in the head/stomach/balls. QUOTE said:
Funnily enough I've been in plently of fights and never knocked someone to the ground and kicked them in the head until their head cracked.

ElderLemon said:
Anyway the point being give me skangers anyday - unless they're doing drugs (and that's another story...)

I agree here, if a knacker sets upon you on dorset street he wants your phone or your wallet, thats all. give them up and your likely to come away with a slap or two. Thats not the rule, but in my view, it's generally the case, they don't want any hassle just what they get off you.

If a gang of southside lads on Grafton street start into you, they don't want your wallet or your phone, they want to kick your head in lots. And thats it. You can give them your phone or wallet, but theirs is probably bigger and better and more full of cash then yours, so they'll only kick you some more.

jane said:
But I think there is an a lack of accountability among kids from some of these schools. I don't want to make a sweeping generalisation about everyone who comes from there (considering there's at least one youngfella on here that went to Blackrock and came out a lovely lad), but there is an attitude of infallibility that some of the more celebrated students are allowed to maintain about themselves. If you spend six years telling a kid he can do no wrong, then how can you be surprised when he does something without considering the consequences?

I went to one of these rugby schools !bog and if you're on the top teams, like these guys were, you're being fed a load of bullshit along with your creatine growth inhancers every day. I remember one of the 'goys' telling me that before he went out to play a game the coach was telling them - "treat them like the fuckin' knackers they are... imagine you're in an ally with these scumbags... kick the shit out of them".

The kind of fight that killed yer man happens all the time; our debs was a disgrace with half the former STC (senior cup team) getting in a fight with another gang on Leeson St. The private schooling system in Dublin is a joke - being on the other side of the fence (non-rugby playing) in one of these schools was like being a second class citizen. The SCT walked around like they owned the place and were basically untounchable - they could have set the school on fire and gotten away with it if they were a good enough player.

Just as you might take backround into acount for some junkie from Ballybough, these guy's schooling provided ample immersion in the ways of violence.

rich people and poor people are equally likely to do both, that's my point. and, as already mentioned, most of these guys went for state-appointment representation. everyone here is down on the rich kids and i know not everyone here is 'poor' like.
Unclealo said:
I think everyone hates rich assholes more than poor assholes because they tend to get away with it more often. Anyone who slaps someone in a fight, fair enough. Anyone who kicks someones skull open while they lie unconcious on the ground is evil.

i really don't agree with that... how on earth could you possibly know this? do you have any examples of where this has happened before? judges tend not to want to 'ruin any more lives' in most cases... whether the person is rich or not. if the person has a violent history, then they normally go down. if it's a first offence, like in this case, they tend to be leanient if the person is rich or not... i think there's a bit of band wagon jumping going on, that's all... fuck the pope.
Unclealo said:
No Hag, a violent asshole is a violent asshole regardless of what "class" they come from. I as a culchie have a particular hatred of Dublin rugby jocks (thats just me sorry!)

What is so bad about this case is that these people are from upper middle class/ upper class backgrounds and appear to have been treated differently (Judge comments like " lets not ruin more lives" etc.) where a scumbag would have been fed to the wolves at this stage.

ah here, it was just a common 'feeling' coming of many people's posts, i wasn't singling anyone out. does anyone actually know the sequence in which things happened in this fight? maybe the guy was asking for a hiding... maybe he got one... maybe it went too far.. as egg said, it's much easier to kill someone than most people imagine.
minka said:
oh christ, i'm not saying that "moneyed people == eeeeviiilll", i know plenty of people from equally (if not more) affluent backgrounds that are utterly lovely. it's just an attitude i've got from a particular type of person that i've encountered. no worse, i'm sure, than the equally unpleasant "y'startin', bud?" aggressive lad in a tracksuit.

and no, i don't think i'm a ghandi-like vision of well-balanced cool, and i can be as self-interested as the next person, but i'd like to think that i have enough empathy for my fellow-human not to, well, engage in acts of violence at the slightest provocation, or smash up somebody's home and just not give a fuck, or... i mean, as i said, these people actually frightened me, and i really don't think i'm frightening. much. :)

oh, i dunno, i'm rambling, maybe this is all just because it's 11 o'clock and i still haven't had enough coffee....

yeah? i hate 2-faced boggers. you wanna make something of it? ;) :mad: !ninjaaaa

Unclealo said:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back