Ethical consumption and drugs (1 Viewer)

I don't buy drugs cos
I know that dealer scum are
front for violent gangs

Instead to solve this
very hard problem I smoke
all of my friends weed!

The people who run the drug trade are not qualified to do so. I mean if it had some proper Government control the murder rate in the capital would reduce by 95%, at least. Drugs would be better. Better regulated and researched before hitting the market, and less likely to cause people harm. I’m really angry that this hasn’t happened already, I mean it’s obviously and viable solution.

I do consider this and it definitely is a deterrent for me, but I can't say that it completely stops me from doing illegal drugs.

There is a flaw in the logic that says that if you buy drugs you are directly responsible for the gun violence that happens. Yes, to a large extent drug users are responsible, but to some extent we are all responsible for everything bad that happens that can be associated with anything we consume. However, I believe that direct responsibility must lie with the individuals who perpetrate these violent acts.

Of course one can argue that it is the illegality that leads to the violence and that a 100% cessation of illegal drug consumption is a pipe dream. I consider both arguments to be valid but over simplistic.

I don't think giving up or legalising drugs is gonna stop gang violence. They'll just find something new to try and control/make money from.

I've pretty much given up on ethics recently too.

There is a flaw in the logic that says that if you buy drugs you are directly responsible for the gun violence that happens. Yes, to a large extent drug users are responsible, but to some extent we are all responsible for everything bad that happens that can be associated with anything we consume. However, I believe that direct responsibility must lie with the individuals who perpetrate these violent acts.

that isn't a flaw as such. it's just a different epistemological position

(i stand to be corrected on this)

how many steps back from pulling the trigger do you need to be before responsibility disappears?

that isn't a flaw as such. it's just a different epistemological position

(i stand to be corrected on this)

how many steps back from pulling the trigger do you need to be before responsibility disappears?

Why are you assuming it's a gun? It could be a shank.

Just sayin'.

Okay, I'm going to try to qualify what I said, but I'm not looking forward to getting the inevitable Broken Arm brow bashing, which I probably fully deserve.

When the likes of Michael McDowell came out and said that drug consumers are directly responsible for gang violence in Ireland it really pissed me off. I already said that I agree to a large extent drug users are responsible, but it's a blatant over simplification. If you use this logic you are saying that people who buy hash are murderers and share the same responsibility as those that pull the trigger. I'm not really sure what Dermot Ahern's stance is, but McDowell is a hypocrite in my opinion.

I don't know how many steps back you have to be to before responsibility completely disappears. We're getting into the lofty question of society's responsibility vs. the individuals responsibility.

If you drive a car you are responsible for the Iraq war, beheadings in Saudi Arabia and 9-11.

Yeah, but most people would (rightly or wrongly) regard driving a car (or consuming oil in some other way) as a necessity, whereas taking drugs clearly isn't.

I'm all for trying to allow people to do what they want in as far as is possible when it doesn't harm others, but I get kinda pissed off when people regard the fact that they can't openly buy and smoke hash as some sort of fundamental affront to their human rights. It's like University students who only get political when it comes to issues about paying fees and so on. It's not that much of a big deal.

Actually I think drugs are more fun when they're illegal. If hash was legal everyone would quickly realise how crap it is and probably stop smoking it.

So, to return to my original question, does anyone avoid drugs for exclusively ethical reasons?

I wouldnt avoid drugs for ethical or legal reasons.
No one without an intimate knowledge of me should be able to decide what I should or shouldn't put in my body.
I find it incredibly patronising that somebody can decide whats best for me,without any knowledge whatsoever of drugs,the affect,the reason,or any discourse whatsoever.

I just dislike the attitude that people are anti drugs as they are illegal, and I dislike how people are educated about (illegal) drugs and how theres no discourse about drugs,other than "drugs are bad"
The drugs which I have spent the most money on,and have had the most negative affect on my life,(caffeine,nicotine,alcohol)have all been taxable, legal and government approved,hmm...

Yeah Wobs had mentioned it earlier,but the whole anti-drug stance through nowt but ignorance and legality has very much become a staple of society and education through conditioning and unqestioning acceptance,the new opium of the people

I wouldnt avoid drugs for ethical or legal reasons.
No one without an intimate knowledge of me should be able to decide what I should or shouldn't put in my body.
I find it incredibly patronising that somebody can decide whats best for me,without any knowledge whatsoever of drugs,the affect,the reason,or any discourse whatsoever.

I just dislike the attitude that people are anti drugs as they are illegal, and I dislike how people are educated about (illegal) drugs and how theres no discourse about drugs,other than "drugs are bad"
The drugs which I have spent the most money on,and have had the most negative affect on my life,(caffeine,nicotine,alcohol)have all been taxable, legal and government approved,hmm...

Yeah Wobs had mentioned it earlier,but the whole anti-drug stance through nowt but ignorance and legality has very much become a staple of society and education through conditioning and unqestioning acceptance,the new opium of the people
You're missing my point though. I accept that you're not prepared to avoid drugs for health reasons or because society says you shouldn't.

But, since drugs are illegal, taking them is damaging to society. Every stage from production to final distribution is shitty. Funding violence over here, biggest cash crops going over there. Funding violence over there. International terrorism.

Is that a good enough reason to avoid drugs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back