Electricity (1 Viewer)

it's for my lathe - which does not have a predictable power drain at all. it's rated to a max 1.5kW, but is very much on/off/on/off/on/off; and even when running i have no clear idea of how much it's drawing; it won't need a full horsepower to spin a small piece without resistance at 1,000RPM, for example.

but given it's stated ability to cost me up to 50c an hour to run, it'd be good to get a good estimate.

it's for my lathe - which does not have a predictable power drain at all. it's rated to a max 1.5kW, but is very much on/off/on/off/on/off; and even when running i have no clear idea of how much it's drawing; it won't need a full horsepower to spin a small piece without resistance at 1,000RPM, for example.

but given it's stated ability to cost me up to 50c an hour to run, it'd be good to get a good estimate.

I'm 90% certain the above machine will do that check for you - but I can check possibly. I'm just not sure is it in the work box or the house or the other house...

A 10 quid smart plug with energy monitoring will definitely produce that kind of data for you. Not exactly a huge deal to have to look at an app to get it.

1715854449058.png

Also was thinking of changing to Airtricity when our contract is up in September but electric Ireland offered me a new 12 month contract with a monthly discount of 21% which I could opt to sign up immediately. Result

Also was thinking of changing to Airtricity when our contract is up in September but electric Ireland offered me a new 12 month contract with a monthly discount of 21% which I could opt to sign up immediately. Result
Im going with Bord Gais for their sweet sweet 3 hours of super cheap EV charging overnight.

yeah so far this month we've sold back approx €50 worth of wall pixies. Hoping these hot spells completely offset a winter month

Just got our monthly bill. Net €50 which has brought our account up to €88 in credit. Last week We resigned back up to electric Ireland (12 month contract) as they were offending a 22% monthly discount. If we continue like this AND get government subsidies this winter I'm not sure we'll ever run up a bill again

Just got our monthly bill. Net €50 which has brought our account up to €88 in credit. Last week We resigned back up to electric Ireland (12 month contract) as they were offending a 22% monthly discount. If we continue like this AND get government subsidies this winter I'm not sure we'll ever run up a bill again

net €62 this month.
Now in credit of about €150~

BAM!

Wow, my Feb electricity bill was triple my May bill. I can understand why the microgen credits are lower, and why I'd use more electricity during the day (lights?) but why am I using double the nighttime electricity? I wonder does my central heating pump use a load of electricity ...

Wow, my Feb electricity bill was triple my May bill. I can understand why the microgen credits are lower, and why I'd use more electricity during the day (lights?) but why am I using double the nighttime electricity? I wonder does my central heating pump use a load of electricity ...

Lights use sweet fuck all power (well, the ones inside your house)
What rating is your (oil fired?) heating pump and how often does it run?

The only things that might be drawing considerable power overnight are fridge/freezers

Heating is a wood pellet boiler. Fire in the boiler heats a water reservoir within the boiler. It lets the fire go out when the reservoir reaches a certain temp, then an electric element is used to get it going again - that's one source of electicity use. There's a fan on the flue that runs when the fire is going - that's another. Those are going all the time, even when the heating in the house is turned off

(though obvs they go more when the heating in the house is on, because the house is drawing heat from the boiler reservoir so it takes more fire to keep it hot)

When the heating in the house is turned on, the water in the boiler reservoir is used to heat the water in the central heating system, and there's a pump to move the water around. Another source of electricity use

I knew the boiler used some electricity, but had never considered before that it might be a heavy user

Anyone know of any way to measure something like that? None of the components (boiler, fan, pump) have a plug, but maybe there's something I can attach around the wires going into them to measure the kWh used?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back