eircom webspace help! (1 Viewer)

george mcfly

My Name Is Prince.
anyone have any experience with assigning a domain name to eircom free webspace??

trying to set it up at the mo and its giving me a few problems..

can anyone help out??

Yep. I wouldn't say I'm an expert but I've done it.

First, you register your domain name; I presume you've already done this, but if you're not sure that it was done correctly, check it at http://www.domainwhitepages.com.

Then you need to set up something called Web forwarding. This tells domain name servers on the Internet that all traffic going to your chosen domain name should be forwarded to the Eircom URL.

The registrar with whom you registered the domain name should be able to provide a Web forwarding (and e-mail forwarding) service. The only difficulty with it is that it can take 48 hours (and possibly more) for domain name servers around the world to pick up the new information. Most changes to domain information take this long to take effect.

Whatever the problem is, it's probably not at Eircom's end (unlike many things). I have a site hosted by Eircom - I just checked it and it's working fine. So I guess their servers are up right now.

Message me directly about this if you like.

I've always found their FTP/ webbuilder really unreliable.

The web-builder never works for me and their support team gave me a URL that is supposed to give direct access to the site, but this rarely works. I've had to re-host on geocities and put up with their crappy adverts.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Anne O'Malley (11 Oct, 2001 10:48 a.m.):

First, you register your domain name; I presume you've already done this, but if you're not sure that it was done correctly, check it at http://www.domainwhitepages.com.

Then you need to set up something called Web forwarding. This tells domain name servers on the Internet that all traffic going to your chosen domain name should be forwarded to the Eircom URL.

The registrar with whom you registered the domain name should be able to provide a Web forwarding (and e-mail forwarding) service. The only difficulty with it is that it can take 48 hours (and possibly more) for domain name servers around the world to pick up the new information. Most changes to domain information take this long to take effect.

Whatever the problem is, it's probably not at Eircom's end (unlike many things). I have a site hosted by Eircom - I just checked it and it's working fine. So I guess their servers are up right now.

Bear in mind that when want to upload stuff to your Eircom Web space you have to dial in using an Eircom dial-up connection. It's a pain in the knickers but there's no way around it.

Unclealo (11 Oct, 2001 11:32 a.m.):
I've always found their FTP/ webbuilder really unreliable.

The web-builder never works for me and their support team gave me a URL that is supposed to give direct access to the site, but this rarely works. I've had to re-host on geocities and put up with their crappy adverts.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Anne O'Malley (11 Oct, 2001 10:48 a.m.):

I'm probably a bit late with this, but I recently did a site for a friend of mine using his free eircom webspace. I used yahoo domains and it worked grand. You specify the site address you want your link to go to and its done in about a day. It only cost £30 too.

I have my own question - is it possible to link your new address (eg. www.newsite.com) to your eircom site, and have your new address stay in the address bar instead of (eg. homepage.eircom.net/~longsite/home.htm)?

http://www.doteasy.com are a great bunch of chaps. You can register your URL and they host it with 20 megs space and unlimited email accounts all for £45 dollars for two years. Very easy to use also.
So it is.

Mr Creosote (16 Oct, 2001 03:03 p.m.):
I'm probably a bit late with this, but I recently did a site for a friend of mine using his free eircom webspace. I used yahoo domains and it worked grand. You specify the site address you want your link to go to and its done in about a day. It only cost £30 too.

I have my own question - is it possible to link your new address (eg. www.newsite.com) to your eircom site, and have your new address stay in the address bar instead of (eg. homepage.eircom.net/~longsite/home.htm)?

well you can cheat

use a javascript redirect script to redirect a frame to your eircom pages so that the url is www.mydomain.com , but the frame content is pulled from www.eircom.net/~mywebspace

that's what i done for www.thumped.com/bbs - it creates a frameset with one frame, the source of which is pulled from a completely different server.

i probably explained that really badly

Chrith (16 Oct, 2001 03:22 p.m.):
http://www.doteasy.com are a great bunch of chaps. You can register your URL and they host it with 20 megs space and unlimited email accounts all for £45 dollars for two years. Very easy to use also.
So it is.

Is there some kind of snag with this ? I have just looked at their site and it seems really good but my cynical nature tells me if can't be that good ....

They say something about paying for it all by having ads (not on the site) but in emails which are sent daily to "doteasy members". Is a doteasy member just the administrator type person who sets up the site (okay) or does this include everyone who has an email address on the registered domain (not okay) ??

It's possible without dipping your toes in Java Script, as long as your domain name registrar will have to provide the service.

I use the registration services of http://www.mydomain.com. They provide a service called "cloaked forwarding". It basically does what Pete was describing (or at least what I THINK he was describing...)

I pay around $20 a year to MyDomain.com. This covers the registration itself and cloaked web/e-mail forwarding.

I find it makes my operation look professional and legitimate when alls I got is a shabby Eircom free account using a CD I got in a SPAR one evening while drunk.

It's what the Internet is all about.

Mr Creosote (16 Oct, 2001 03:03 p.m.):

no idea where i got the idea i was using javascript

i am stupid

when you go to thumped.com/bbs you open something similar to the following page:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Your page title here</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>
<frameset rows="100%,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0"> 
  <frame name="mainFrame" src="http://your eircom URL/~or whatever here">
</frameset>
<noframes>
<body bgcolor="#dddddd" text="#000000">
</body>
</noframes> 
</html>

Is there some kind of snag with this ? I have just looked at their site and it seems really good but my cynical nature tells me if can't be that good ....
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly, Hugh, but i assure you it's really good. No ads or annoying stuff whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back