Dublin Racist Riots (2 Viewers)

I know what you mean, I have also noticed a little bit of a difference in town when we were in the midst of Covid and Lockdown, and post-it ...a kind of edgy feeling sometimes - but naively perhaps I didn't think something like last night would happen, I thought it was more that there were pockets of antisocial behaviour (and so many reasons for this), but I didn't expect it to escalate like that, and with that amount of people. I still love Dublin (improbably, perhaps), and mainly still feel fairly safe... but last night I definitely didn't - I don't want to give into that feeling either, and hope it's a temporary feeling.

As a Dub, I lost my love for it a while now.
Yesterday was another occasion I'm glad I moved to Donegal.

How about a compromise? We're allowed be racist on Thursdays, and maybe Friday night if we've had a few but then only quietly with our mates.

Sunday to Wednesday, inclusive, are strictly no racism days.

It doesn't cater to all of the PC Brigade's demands, nor to all of the racists demands. You can't please all of the people all of the time as they say.

But it allows some natural venting of racism before it hits dangerous levels. This, along with a SMALL ceremonial monthly fire on O'Connell bridge, strikes a fair balance.

How about a compromise? We're allowed be racist on Thursdays, and maybe Friday night if we've had a few but then only quietly with our mates.

Sunday to Wednesday, inclusive, are strictly no racism days.

It doesn't cater to all of the PC Brigade's demands, nor to all of the racists demands. You can't please all of the people all of the time as they say.

But it allows some natural venting of racism before it hits dangerous levels. This, along with a SMALL ceremonial monthly fire on O'Connell bridge, strikes a fair balance.

That sounds fair

Joe going all in for surveillance society.

And they've had a Gard's Mammy call in to give the Gard's side of things.
Which for me, tells its own story of who we have on the beat; nice young men and women looking for a secure job, wholly incapable of dealing with policing a tough urban environment.

I was in town during this. I couldn't get past Temple Bar as the riot police had Westmoreland Street and all side streets onto the Liffey blocked off. Lots of people milling around, loads of teenagers and a plethora of JD Sportswear. Every so often a crowd would start running. Some vandalism going on - a girl with a construction rod was bashing a van's window just for kicks. A fair few masked howyas going about enjoying the chaos, and the odd older-looking nazi. Smoke, helicopters, fire trucks. I was on Parliament Street and there wasn't much trouble but after I left seemingly it had spilled onto there and Dame Street. Bunch of racist wankers. They should all be thrown in jail and the key thrown away.

I was in Dublin yesterday too, driving my car back to everyone's spiritual homeland: (apart from foreigners) Cork.

I noticed all kinds of blue lights and things hurtling down the road towards me from the opposite direction, so I thought fast and bravely pulled into the bus lane to allow them use my side of the road. Then all the people behind me pulled into the bus lane too. As the boys in the emergency vehicles came flying past I was worried that maybe my arse was still sticking out a bit.

And people think I'm a shit driver. I was into that bus lane in fractions of a second.

Couple of thoughts on some of the posts above.

1. social media activated and enabled right wing wankers, who are growing in strength internationally, and in some places not only are not being effectively handled by the govt. but ARE the govt. This was the kicking off point. @ernesto these bucks do kick at the government- but not in a particularly coherent way.
2. failure to address poverty and exclusion in the north east city center, leading to a group of chancers ready to take the opportunity of wreck the gaff. This is a multigenerational project, that no govt. in the past 40 years has addressed. (@Deadmanposting - would welcome your thoughts on this, as while I lived there for a while, you seem to be from/living round there).
3. Policing - the cops are underprepared to deal with this sort of thing, in no small part because they've not had to deal with a consistent element like this since the good friday agreement if not ever. They are also under resourced. In light of this, how dangerous or otherwise dublin city is on a normal night is not entirely directly proportional to how something like this kicks off.

all of 2 and a large part of 3 are arguably the fault of successive Irish govt, 1. is a bigger, global (or at least european) problem.

Myself and herself were in the city yesterday, we went to Bray to visit the aquarium before it closes (the staff there are fantastic, by the way, despite the air of sadness about it all). When we left we saw the news report about the stabbing (our bus into town passes that school, and I used to walk by all the time at going home time when I worked in the area).

Then we were meant to catch the 155 to go to IKEA but after two missing buses, the one that finally arrived was only going as far as O’Connell St and the driver was kind of a jerk about it so we said screw it and got the Dart back into town and up to Cumberland Street for the bus home. Literally an hour before the fash kicked everything off. If we’d stuck to our original plans, we’d probably have had to walk to my mam’s to stay the night.

Yeah. Regarding point 2) You can either invest money in impoverished communities now, in an effort to decrease criminality before it happens.

Or you can ignore the problem and try to get draconian later with the stick.

It's a bit like drug prohibition in the sense that it's clear that pretending there isn't a problem and ignoring it in the short term is vastly more expensive and harmful in the long run. By, like, orders of magnitude.

As an aside, this immigration thing is sad. Almost everyone I've worked with, along with myself, are immigrants. Pretty much all of my adult life was being an immigrant. The stakes, as an immigrant, feel far higher. Immigrants typically have zero safety net, if you fail there' no family, there's no connections, there's no familiar system to fall back into. Everything is new, and different. If you fail you're going back to where ever in disgrace (rightly or wrongly believed), or you're failing in place and vanishing. And we'd see both of these scenarios. There were people straight up killing themselves because they'd decided they'd failed. Like, this was endemic.

Because you know this, you probably have imposter syndrome, and you do work like your life depended on it.

I guess my point is, in a way immigrants are almost by definition the hardest trying strata of society. If you leave your country, for whatever reason, there was a reason. If you've moved your life to another place, you're going to put the effort in to get things right this time.

Myself and herself were in the city yesterday, we went to Bray to visit the aquarium before it closes (the staff there are fantastic, by the way, despite the air of sadness about it all). When we left we saw the news report about the stabbing (our bus into town passes that school, and I used to walk by all the time at going home time when I worked in the area).

Then we were meant to catch the 155 to go to IKEA but after two missing buses, the one that finally arrived was only going as far as O’Connell St and the driver was kind of a jerk about it so we said screw it and got the Dart back into town and up to Cumberland Street for the bus home. Literally an hour before the fash kicked everything off. If we’d stuck to our original plans, we’d probably have had to walk to my mam’s to stay the night.

My other half, being an immigrant, is naturally not feeling great at the moment.

Joe going all in for surveillance society.

And they've had a Gard's Mammy call in to give the Gard's side of things.
Which for me, tells its own story of who we have on the beat; nice young men and women looking for a secure job, wholly incapable of dealing with policing a tough urban environment.
I’d say the slagging yer man’s gonna get in work after that will be far far worse than anything he experienced last night.

Good to hear Joe blaming GDPR for all of this. Much insights.

About 30 minutes ago trinity college contacted students to advise they leave right away. Some government departments had people leave at 2 and are locked up now.
Hoping it’s just a preventative thing, it sounds quiet enough out there right now.

speaking of opportunists having a go..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

@Reets - I work in TCD - are you sure - nothings come through to me? could be just students

Yep students got the message, but I honestly think it’s a preventative thing and nothing’s actually happened.

SDs have come out making the same comments as Mary Lou, so that’s 2 groups so far.

On the positive side, the Christmas party I really didn’t want to go to tonight has been cancelled.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back