Dresses – someone help the less fashion-ate. (1 Viewer)

50's style dress with bolero for the arms. poifeck.

and do your hair in victory rolls again - you look extra hot when you do :)

- remember how i was going on about the gorgeous dress on the road thread? well - i tried it on and it didnt suit me BUT i got the skirt version. im now bankrupt but kind of delighted at the same time. i never buy clothes so it was a nice treat.

Girls' shopping trip YES PLEASE. I actually might have to go up to Sligo anyway, so I'm absolutely on for the vintage place.

Cool.

Probably the top is meant to be a bit blousey? Because 40 inches?!

BTW, keep in mind that until a couple of decades ago, women still wore a lot of corsetry and waist-cinching stuff. So a lot of the measurements of 50s dresses seem to suggest that everyone had a tiny waist, or they seem too hourglass for modern proportions. Yes, a lot of women were slimmer, but these were also dresses frequently worn by women much younger than us, and they were being held in as well as boosted up. Our bones are heavier and we generally have broader shoulders. That's why it can be hard to find vintage stuff that fits.

This is what I tell myself. Sigh.

And you're not wrong. I've been seriously considering placing an order with Whatkatydid so that I can really pull off the look.

Edit: My hair is much too short for victory rolls :(

i saw this video last year and found yer one's instructions pretty easy to follow

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

this one has no spoken instructions

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i've already got the bangs, but my hair isn't quite thick enough...

There could be baked goods in it for you.

the-cake-is-a-lie.png

Ha! Those were not victory rolls, it was laziness. My hair is getting so long (for me) and I keep throwing it into a pony tail. I so need it chopped off! If I wear it down I need it out of my eyes so I twist it and pin it back. My hair is so thin that it starts to unravel. Who knew that was 'extra hot'. ;) More like 'cat ears' than victory rolls.

50's style dress with bolero for the arms. poifeck.

- remember how i was going on about the gorgeous dress on the road thread? well - i tried it on and it didnt suit me BUT i got the skirt version. im now bankrupt but kind of delighted at the same time. i never buy clothes so it was a nice treat.

I think we both have the same 'vision' for Jane! ;)
Seriously - go to Retro and try on a load of 50s dresses, like these from www.vivienofholloway.com
Pair them with a bolero/shrug/short cardie.
Put your hair in victory rolls, wear some bright red lipstick and black liner...sorted! ;)

vivien_of_holloway.jpg

Vivien.JPG

i've already got the bangs, but my hair isn't quite thick enough...

Batiste/Bumble&bumble hair powder/Aveda Pure Abundance Potion/Schwarzkopf Osis Dust it
+
lots and lots of hairspray
= done
as that fucker Ramsay would say

I think we both have the same 'vision' for Jane! ;)
Seriously - go to Retro and try on a load of 50s dresses, like these from www.vivienofholloway.com
Pair them with a bolero/shrug/short cardie.
Put your hair in victory rolls, wear some bright red lipstick and black liner...sorted! ;)

vivien_of_holloway.jpg

Whereas I love these (especially the orange one because it's my favorite colour and now I really want it) I'm thinking more evening elegant and less summery fun.

Just remembered this: Monsoon's fusion range has some really, really nice pieces at the moment too.

Seriously, shopping sucks.
Dress FAIL.
I'm tempted to go all Annie Hall and wear a suit, ffs.

Has anyone see anything that doesn't resemble a potato sack, gladiator/toga gear or a really short prom dress from the 80's that is now worn by a hooker?

borrow something?
then you won't have to give too much of a shit whether you'll wear it again, as long as you look presentable.
......am i getting the 'i'm a girl' thing wrong?

borrow something?
then you won't have to give too much of a shit whether you'll wear it again, as long as you look presentable.
......am i getting the 'i'm a girl' thing wrong?

I don't have any female friends my size or I'd borrow something. The thought of 'shopping' on my holiday makes me cringe. I really wanted to find something before I left. I'm going to try that shop in Fairview tomorrow and then I give up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back