Doping (2 Viewers)

The UFC just announced they will be implementing a year round out of competition testing policy in a few months for all fighters under contract. About time. There's something like a 25% fail rate on out of competition tests recently but just a 1% fail rate on tests administered on the day of the fight.

Potential two year bans for first offence. 9 months is the usual now which is decided by the state athletic commissions and usually only leads to a fighter missing one fight (or possibly none at all).

The UFC just announced they will be implementing a year round out of competition testing policy in a few months for all fighters under contract. About time. There's something like a 25% fail rate on out of competition tests recently but just a 1% fail rate on tests administered on the day of the fight.

Potential two year bans for first offence. 9 months is the usual now which is decided by the state athletic commissions and usually only leads to a fighter missing one fight (or possibly none at all).

this seems positive. So long as the out-of-competition testing is unannounced.

I'd be curious to know the extent of their testing. I presume its mostly urine. Its the bloods that are most effective though.

I'd presume UFC will look to become an olympic sport at some point too. That being the case they could do themselves a lot of favours by getting their house in order sooner rather than later. By adopting something like the bio-passport.

this seems positive. So long as the out-of-competition testing is unannounced.

I'd be curious to know the extent of their testing. I presume its mostly urine. Its the bloods that are most effective though.

Yeah, the tests on the day of the fight are a joke. The main source I read called day of the fight testing "an IQ test" because you have to be a total fucking idiot to fail it given that you know it's the only time you'll be tested. Here's an easier rundown on it.

"White and Fertitta said they would work with the athletic commissions, and in addition to year-around random testing, that all championship fights and main event fights would be subject to heavier testing over the last 12 to 14 weeks, which the commissions would handle, and that UFC would help pay for the testing for commissions that didn’t have the revenue for it.

Fertitta noted that UFC is aware of 19 fighters of late who were tested out of competition, and five failed, which is a 26 percent failure rate. He noted that on night of the fight testing, the failure rate is barely one percent, and said the difference shows extensive out of competition testing is needed.

He said the company earmarked about $500,000 to drug testing, both its own and helping fund commissions, over the past year, but the new program would cost millions. He said that don’t have any idea how much it will cost, because they are talking to different companies, and there are variables in how many tests, follow-up tests, etc. He said after the first year, they would at least have an idea to budget, but they are going to leave it up to the company they hire to decide how much testing was needed and what kind of tests would be needed to guarantee a clean sport, and it would include blood and urine testing. He noted that with fighters were independent contractors, and not employees, there are legal and contractual issues that will have to be dealt with.

Fertitta also acknowledged that given that extensive testing will likely catch more fighters, that UFC’s problems with keeping cards together are probably going to get worse before it gets better. He cited that they are in the sport for the long haul, and in the long run this will make for a cleaner sport and it’s necessary."

one more interesting thing regarding the proposed UFC testing is the effect it has on boxing. Most of the big UFC shows happen in Nevada which means they are regulated by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. UFC is big business for them but boxing is even bigger.

So if the commission works with UFC to implement two year bans for first time offences, what happens to boxing? A podcast I was listening to brought up the fact that boxing has far fewer big stars than MMA so there's no way that anyone involved in promoting the big fights will want to risk their guys getting banned for two years.

Anyway, Mayweather and Pacquiao won't have to worry about it unless they have a rematch.

I don't get it, why?
All that statement does is imply that he has to think about it that way if he is going to be able to race - otherwise he'd get too annoyed or whatever.
As that not all it really says?

Like, he's not saying everybody is clean - he's saying that if he's going to race, he has to think of it that way and not get caught up on who is meant to be cheating and all. No?

yes, fair point - I was aware when I posted this that I might have taken Daniel Martin's quote out of context, but if that's the case but I don't think he worded what he was saying very well.
he's probably my favourite rider for the last few years and apart from Pat McQuaid's son acting as his agent I haven't had reason to criticize
him before.
sorry I didn't respond sooner but I rarely log on more than twice a week.

Two%2Bcyclists%2C%2BVervaeke%2Band%2BGeldhol%2C%2Bsmoking%2Bduring%2Bthe%2B1920%2BTour%2Bde%2BFrance.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back