Do you regret doing what you did in college? (1 Viewer)

ummm... fine art... yawn.....
would do anything to do a fashion degree now... its the one thing i have studied myself since college... .. or just dressmaking or pattern cutting.... and all the rest...

I started the course I do now twice, I got told I should probably leave during my first couple of hours by the course coordinator the first time because I got straight into it without doing a portfolio course and was right out of school, after a few weeks of hearing that and not liking the group of people I was in with I left and worked a shit job with huge hours until the next September before going back and kicking ass at it.

I regret letting that fuck get to me.

The only thing i gained out of college was an introduction to likeminded people, which was more than enough.

I'm glad i never did fine art though. Oih....

i did a year of computer science, which i didnt like, dropped out and did environmental science which i really enjoyed. its very hard to find a course that is a good balance of what your interested in and what you can get a job with.

degree in english and history, masters in history. don't regret a moment of it, really, though i didn't end up working in anything related to either subject. loved having that many years to just read and think (well, ok, the first couple were more about developing my boozing skills...) and i think the research/working independently/argument-constructing/information-organizing skills i picked up were just generally useful.

i never went to college. i regret that. so. there's a lesson in this for every one. it's...eh...ummm....

Teaching rocks sounds like a really boring job.

D06_11rock29.jpg

This is me in 40 years with my star pupil.

I cant concentrate enough to draw at the moment and have begun to hate everything I once loved about art. I didnt get enough points in the leaving cert to do anything decent and dont have enough done for a portfolio.

Fine art courses will do that. The amount of seriously talented motherfuckers i saw go into Fine art and lose all interest would break your heart. More than not came out after being force-fed heaps of aesthetic and context, and now dont have a fucking clue where to start. And they're not using the talent they went in there to develop in the first place.

I barely turned up for my leaving. And not having enough done for a portfolio course is horseshit. thats what they're there for, to identify where you're strong and develop a body of work specific to a designated art course, be painting, design, sculpture etc.

Get every single fucking thing you've done in the past to years. Everything. even if it's not that much. Go to Portfolio course interveiw. Tell them you know you have the talent but need the direction. If they dont take you in then they're no kind ofportfolio course in the first place.

I learned how to make cartoons in college. I was good at it,but not very interested. I started painting about 3 years ago and am much happier being self taught than i would have been if i listened to to those cutural fascists who head some courses.

The only thing i was lacking was a proper understanding of the industry behind the art, but that kind of savy comes naturally in any field once you're in and doing it.

In short, it's not easy, you'll earn nothing, lose lots,and probably end up slightly cracked; but if you dont persue what you're good at in any way you can, (college, bedroom, street corner) then i'll break your fucking legs.

degree in english and history, masters in history. don't regret a moment of it, really, though i didn't end up working in anything related to either subject. loved having that many years to just read and think (well, ok, the first couple were more about developing my boozing skills...) and i think the research/working independently/argument-constructing/information-organizing skills i picked up were just generally useful.

yup. degree in english and history, masters in english. didn't regret a moment of it. always knew i wouldn't gett anything remotely job related out of it- made it all the more enjoyable, the hunt for esoteric knowledge and all that... i considered doing a phd after the masters but am glad i didn't now.

all you ex-arts students moaning: what did you hope to achieve in doing the course?

i dont.....because at the age of 18, completely bewildered as to what I wanted to do with my life, I did a degree in Philosophy - and while many aspects of it were boring beyond belief, it was open-ended enough. i think i'd actually regret it more now had i gone into a more specific degree that chanelled me toward an occupation.

(i left my job of three years to now do a masters that is badly-run but with some enjoyable content. thank god it's only one year though)

Almost exactly the same as me, except I haven't got back into college yet. I was a day away from starting an engineering degree but then did philosophy and politics at the last moment.

After about 2 years of philosophy I was completely fucked off with it, the only reason I didn't drop out was that I couldn't think of anything else wanted to do in college. However by the end I was far more at ease with it, but I always found that my interest and understanding in particular subjects we covered usually kicked into life about 6 months after I studied them.

But it is completely unpractical and there's no way of knowing whether or not I wouldn't have enjoyed Engineering or something like that.

all you ex-arts students moaning: what did you hope to achieve in doing the course?

I went to college because my mother made me. Started an arts degree. Failed one of my first year subjects so badly they actually wouldn't let me repeat the year. Changed subjects, grew up a bit, got a first, have a job. Being a student is a hell of a lot better than working for a living. The only things keeping me from going back full-time are greed and inertia.

This post reminded me of this thread:
http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/01/47-arts-degrees/

And here's my favourite bit of cheesy life advice:
A young violinist goes to see Itzhak Perlman. He plays his violin for Perlman and asks if he has the talent to be a great violinist. Perlman tells him to give up the violin.

Years later, the young man, now an accountant, runs into Perlman again and asks, "How did you know I didn't have the talent?"

Perlman says, "That's what I tell everyone. If you'd truly wanted to play the violin, you wouldn't have listened to me."

I enjoyed what I did but regret not doing it straight after my leaving cert [three year gap]

Oh Christ I'm so glad I didn't go to college straight after school. I was too busy being 18 to concentrate on studying. I definitely did better and appreciated it more going back as a jaded, disillusioned 24-year-old instead.

I don't regret doing what I did (3-year degree in communications at DCU, mixture of practical and academic), but I always wonder what the Lolo in the parallel universe who went for her other choice (4 year degree in English at Trinity, entirely academic) is doing.
Judging by what my colleagues studied, I probably would have ended up in exactly the same job....

yup. degree in english and history, masters in english. didn't regret a moment of it. always knew i wouldn't gett anything remotely job related out of it- made it all the more enjoyable, the hunt for esoteric knowledge and all that...

agreed

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back